Thread: Worn out tools

Trail Ninja

Worn out tools

Just a reminder to those with well used tools a few years old, that tools get worn and start rounding out hardware. Had a 2.5 (lock on grips, flat pedal pins, Command post IR cable cinch), and 4mm hex, T25, and 8mm wrench (ex. hydraulic brake lever hoses) become so worn that they've done this. They seem to get to the point that they get wedged into the fastener when tightening, that you can't just pull them straight out, instead needing to backed off a little to unwedge them.

Birdman aka JMJ

Great reminder that hex keys and driver bits are consumable items.

I put my worn-out hex keys in the bottom drawer of the toolbox. When I need a hex key to be really short to get into a hard-to-reach area, I'll grab one of these and sand it down to length (or use a grinder, slowly). If you don't go too fast, you will not heat it up enough to affect the temper & hardness. Go too fast and you'll anneal the steel and ruin it.

Once you're past the worm-out area, the key will be as good as new.

You can also turn old hex keys into inpromptu punches and alignment pins since they are hardened steel. Slow and steady with a sander is the key.

I also scour the online retailers looking for hex-key sets on sale and buy them so I have a fresh set on standby for when a key becomes too worn to use.

mtbr member
    Hex keys and drill bits get shortened until they're no longer useful. Torx bits get pitched. Screwdrivers become paint can tools, pry bars, punches, or various size flat heads and specialty tools.

Once you're past the worm-out area, the key will be as good as new.
    In some cases, better.

Class Clown
    This forum is costing me money

mtbr member
    Yup, worn tools suck. It's cheaper in the long run and a lot less frustrating to buy new tools than to keep using worn tools that destroy fasteners. It's worth buying nice tools too. I like Bondhus for hex and torx wrenches.

Plays with tools
    This is more important in the cycling industry than in many others due to the common aluminum bolts that are found on mid to high end parts. A stuck bolt can quickly turn into a stripped one if your tools aren't in good shape.