Thread: Workstand

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012

Workstand

I am currently searching to find a repair stand to replace my older Spin Doctor Deluxe. I use my stand often, I guess I have on average 3-5 bikes a week in and out of of the stand now. I do not mind spending my hard earned cash on a good products. So if you can give me any feedback I would be thankfull. Also are there any American made stands outside of Park Tools currntly being produced?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Feedback's line of workstands

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have to second the Feedback Elite....awesome stand.

MTBR Member
    Look for a used Park 2-arm stand with base. I was lucky to snag one for $200 a few years ago. If you're repairing that many bikes, it's well worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Look for a used Park 2-arm stand with base. I was lucky to snag one for $200 a few years ago. If you're repairing that many bikes, it's well worth it.
    +1

If you're living somewhere where you have a place to bolt a shop-quality stand to the floor, do it. Or as ncfisherman said, get/make a base for it. You won't look back and it will last a lifetime. Makes a huge difference in doing repairs.

mtbr member
    I'd get the Park PCS-4 for home use. I had the Feedback Elite and it definitely isn't as sturdy as the Feedback but if you want a super portable stand to take to races I'd get the Feedback Elite.

mtbr member
    Here's one I have my eye on, if your not opposed to having another Spin Doctor stand
    Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand - Workstands

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a Park Tool PCS-9 that ive used for the past 9-10 years, ive had about 100 bikes in and out of it since then and its still standing strong! over the past 2 years due to space constraints, ive had to fold it up after each bike is done (to make more room for the bikes and parts). Park Tools are the only tools i trust while reparing/building bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've used a number of bike stands in my shop and trailside. My favorite setup is the EVT EZ Lift with an EVT Right Arm. By far it has the smallest clamp head of any stand I've used (much smaller than Park's), which can be useful on road bikes with minimal clamping room or mountain bikes with dropper posts and hydroformed tubes. The E-Z Lift has a counter weighted pulley attached to a seven foot tall stand that allows you to bring the clamp arm down to the bike (great for hoisting DH rigs all day...or electric bikes) and then lift it to perfect working height with minimal effort. That said, the E-Z Lift is cost prohibitive at nearly $1400 sans base and it is not very portable.

For a well built out of the box portable stand, my pick would be the Pro-Elite from Feedback. The clamp head on this stand is about 25% larger than that of the EVT Right Arm. It also has an easy open/close mechanism that allows you to push a button to release the spring loaded clamp head. This feature makes it very convenient when you are tuning multiple bikes.

Lastly, as has been mentioned before the Park PCS-4 is a great (and sturdy) repair stand that can be packed along. I would swap out the clamp head in any Park stand with the EVT or Feedback heads (both will fit Park's clamp socket).

The last plug for the EVT Right Arm is it's offset clamp arm which allows a clamped bike to rotate on a smaller arc, effectively minimizing the space that is needed behind the bike (doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really improves your tuning experience in a small shop or garage).

Hope this helps. By the way, I have no affiliation with EVT or the Bike Gallery. I'm just a firm believer in quality tools and Brett of EVT just happens to put out an incredibly well-engineered and crafted tool.
    Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    +1

If you're living somewhere where you have a place to bolt a shop-quality stand to the floor, do it. Or as ncfisherman said, get/make a base for it. You won't look back and it will last a lifetime. Makes a huge difference in doing repairs.
    If you can make or have made a base, Park makes a PRS-4 Clamp. I think I paid around $100 years ago. I had a buddy weld a piece of pipe to an old disc from a plow. I snagged a couple of huge weights from a weight room to weigh it down Rock solid. I even have a 2 bike hangar on the other side.
    Workstand-img00051-20110206-1328.jpg
    Workstand-img00052-20110206-1328.jpg
    Workstand-img00053-20110206-1329.jpg
    Workstand-img00054-20110206-1331.jpg

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Thanks everyone, I will take all you opinions to heart in deciding what to go with. I am big on mounting it directly to the floor of my shop, but love the ability to take a portable stand to club events. I guess I could use my old Spin Doctor and use it for this purpose, and then mount ethier the PRS-2 OS-1 or the PRS-2 OS-2? I like the PRS-3 OS-1 because it has the simple metal head compared to what looks like plastic on the OS-3.