mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Work stand recommendations

I'm considering getting a work stand but there are so many out there. I don't want to spend a ton of money.

There are some online that support by the bottom bracket and some that clamp the seat post. I'd like one that folds up easily for storage too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

B3ginr
    Sep 2013
    I'm looking to go with this one: Park Tool Co. » PRS-4W-2 : Professional Wall Mount Stand : Bench/Wall Mount Stands

However, I am not sure how all the "newer" composite frames' "wonky" top tubes will clamp into it. Anyone have any experience clamping bikes with wonky carbon top tubes like those found on Giant Anthem and Pivot 429?
    Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Looking at these two. I like the second one as it's cheaper and looks nicer but the base will take up more space when it's set up. The first one looks like it can be closer to the wall when it's set up

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KO...f_=pd_sbs_sg_1

http://www.thelashop.com/adjustable-...workstand.html

mtbr member
    I don't know about either of those but I think a stand with 4 legs would get in the way while working. There was a thread awhile back- cheap workstand shootout or something like that, maybe it would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbloodworth View Post
    I'm looking to go with this one: Park Tool Co. » PRS-4W-2 : Professional Wall Mount Stand : Bench/Wall Mount Stands

However, I am not sure how all the "newer" composite frames' "wonky" top tubes will clamp into it. Anyone have any experience clamping bikes with wonky carbon top tubes like those found on Giant Anthem and Pivot 429?

That's a pretty good one, you shouldn't ever clamp a carbon tube though. Always attach the clamp to the seatpost, and if you have a nice carbon post you might want to get a junk post to use for that while working on it. Clamping to stout steel or aluminum frames can be o.k., but decals and paint can be easily damaged.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I also saw a stand where the bike sits on the bottom bracket on the stand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you want a deal the performance Spin Doctor G3 is identical to more expensive Topeak stands minus the built in scale. I bought mine for $129 plus tax on sale.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone77 View Post
    I also saw a stand where the bike sits on the bottom bracket on the stand.
    These are going to become more popular in the mountain bike world with all of the dropper seatposts. Between those and the heavily shaped tubes it's getting hard to find a secure place to clamp the bike. I've got a Park version and it's been solid. I definitely prefer it over my Feedback or Park shop stand for certain things. They do fold up pretty small as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That's a pretty good one, you shouldn't ever clamp a carbon tube though. Always attach the clamp to the seatpost, and if you have a nice carbon post you might want to get a junk post to use for that while working on it. Clamping to stout steel or aluminum frames can be o.k., but decals and paint can be easily damaged.
    It can safely be done if you're not a ham fisted gorilla.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I have an ancient Park Consumer workstand (not height adjustable, folding legs) that is probably 15+ years old.. The tubing clamp is a spring-loaded cam with 2 diameter settings and works really well. Ditto all comments about clamping into the seatpost if the bike frame is composite.

The stand is heavy and well built, but the folding leg design is clunky (for storage needs) but stable. The newer models have corrected this shortcoming.

I've also used a friend's Feedback Sports workstand and it is very nice, adjustable, and sturdy. Stores very easily and compactly.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just ordered one of these: Amazon.com: RAD Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Adjustable Repair Stand: Sports & Outdoors
    Four legs might get in the way, but with the ability to clamp in different spots and what looks like good stability I'll risk it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Quote Originally Posted by workman482 View Post
    I just ordered one of these: Amazon.com: RAD Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Adjustable Repair Stand: Sports & Outdoors
    Four legs might get in the way, but with the ability to clamp in different spots and what looks like good stability I'll risk it.
    Looks like a good deal, let us know what you think when you get it. Some stands have a cam style clamp and some have this screw style. I wonder how much easier the cam style is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well first one arrived damaged. Amazon is sending a replacement. Hopefully this one will be in one piece.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have an ancient Park Consumer workstand (not height adjustable, folding legs) that is probably 15+ years old.. The tubing clamp is a spring-loaded cam with 2 diameter settings and works really well. Ditto all comments about clamping into the seatpost if the bike frame is composite.

The stand is heavy and well built, but the folding leg design is clunky (for storage needs) but stable. The newer models have corrected this shortcoming.

I've also used a friend's Feedback Sports workstand and it is very nice, adjustable, and sturdy. Stores very easily and compactly.

JMJ

About four years ago I bought a Park extension kit for my Park PCS 1 which was purchased originally in 1996. If your stand has the "composite" clamp head tube it will work. It allows your older Park consumer stand to be height adjustable, definitely gave my old stand new life..... I think I paid $25 for the extension kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a stand from performance that had an annoying tendency to drop bikes. After a few NICA races I saw that everybody had the Feedback Sports stands and loved them, so that's what I bought. I've been super happy with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you want to have some fun, and do it on the cheap. You can also make your own stand. A lot of the Pro mechanics even make custom stands.
    From a hardware store you can get a $16 3/4" Pipe Vise, $16 for Black 3/4" Pipe. Most shops will cut the threads for you when you buy pipe. Then get a base plate to mount to floor or wall, and an elbow for the arm. You can make blocks out of wood or plastic in a concave shape to hold the seat post. Total cost under $50. But I don't know what stands go for now a days, and if they're only $150 maybe the homey is not worth it. But yet again it makes for a very strong durable stand. I made one from extra stuff some how accumulated since I wanted to have something that I didn't want to worry about. And at bike events I don't have to worry about any one running off with it. But I still have my Park too which I use most of the time. But it's nice having a couple.