mtbr member

Wheel bearings--What grade good sources?

Maybe this is a bit of a silly question.What is a good source for wheel bearings and what type should I look at? I am replacing mine and searched around a bit. Searching here. Searching everywhere. I just need 4 bearings. 15x26x7. Whats my hot ticket? They range from $4 to $90 each from what I have seen. Whats the concensus? Where in lies the value?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    That's a tough one because I haven't found there to be much of direct relationship between price and quality. I've had "high quality" Japanese bearings that failed in a month and replaced them with cheap Chinese bearings and they lasted for years.

So for wheel bearings I generally end up going with generic bearings purchased on eBay and never really have a problem and the more expensive bearings don't seem to provide such a big jump in durability that I could say they are worth it. Might also depend on how difficult the bearings are to replace and if you're OK replacing a $1 bearing maybe a bit more often rather than say a $10 bearing. Some people recommend spending more money on stainless steel bearings, but I've found they don't last any longer because stainless steel, while rust proof, is softer than normal bearing steel so the races ended up getting dented or pitted from the pounding that mountain bikes receive.

Now for suspension pivots there is something to be said for popping for Enduro full complement MAX bearings, especially if you've had bearings fail catastrophically (broken ball and bearing retainers) as full complement bearings have a higher load capacity and suspension pivots are usually pretty highly stressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've had bearing failures ruin hubs and bb. Given up experimenting and stick exclusively to SKF and Enduro bearings.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    I've had bearing failures ruin hubs and bb. Given up experimenting and stick exclusively to SKF and Enduro bearings.
    ya.. I pretty much stick with Enduro/Realworld Cycling..

I really wasn't much of a "high end" believer as i find that the price-to-performance upgrade isn't worth it. But I got to say I sprung for a full ceramic BB set from Enduro/real world like 3 yrs back and it's still the smoothest running set I've ever had.

Do I "notice" a difference? not really when riding... but I do in that I don't need a new one ever 6 months.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks, good info. Shopping around now. I seem to find Enduro bearings in 1526 only in abec3. I thought I would get a get this bearing it holds up consensus. It is funny though. My wheels have felt "heavy" latley. The front bearings are really bad feeling. I am going to tear them out in a few.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo 1971 View Post
    Thanks, good info. Shopping around now. I seem to find Enduro bearings in 1526 only in abec3. I thought I would get a get this bearing it holds up consensus. It is funny though. My wheels have felt "heavy" latley. The front bearings are really bad feeling. I am going to tear them out in a few.
    Try realworldcycling.com. They have everything or can get it. If you do a whole wheel set they will give a small discount also. Give them a call. Really helpful there
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Will do in the future. I got a set of SKF abec5 for $25 shipped on ebay. I really plan on these being my backup wheels soon. They should roll good! I still find this an interesting subject. How are the ceramic and hybrid bearings? Is there a benefit in rolling resistance or life?
    15267 2RS SKF 4 Piece Ball Bearing 15x26x7mm Rebuild Kit | eBay

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    for me at least they roll a good bit smoother, and actually get better over time. WAY out last most normal bearings that get sloppy or "grainy" after a season or so. With standard bearings I always seem to get that one spot that it's like something in stuck in the bearing, even after a full cleaning and re-greasing. The ceramic's have yet to have that issue.

I just replaced all the bearings in my rear Hope Pro hub this spring.. still running super smooth. Again can I say that I notice a big diff during day to day riding.. not really, sept when it comes to the time were I'd normally be replacing them from one being locked or sticky.

mtbr member
    Her is a good one. Ordered the four bearings after talking to WTB (we mistook the hub model) I ordered 4 bearings. Then I take apart the front hub and its ball and cone! It has rubber covers that I did not even think about. I pulled it apart, cleaned and re greased. Perfect! Now I have 4 new bearings for the rear.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Wheel bearings--What grade good sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo 1971 View Post
    Her is a good one. Ordered the four bearings after talking to WTB (we mistook the hub model) I ordered 4 bearings. Then I take apart the front hub and its ball and cone! It has rubber covers that I did not even think about. I pulled it apart, cleaned and re greased. Perfect! Now I have 4 new bearings for the rear.
    Looking at the bearing seals for the part number is always a good idea...for numerous reasons.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Yep, at least I admit my mistake. Not my smoothest move. Should of heard me when I started tearing into it. Numerous f-bombs and statements about my state of mental health. I do however have the 4 bearings I need for the rear. Nothing really wrong with the rear though. Probably will replace them anyway. Plain bearing front hub sure rolls cleaned greased and properly tweaked sure rolls nice!