Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

The "What's your shop look like?" thread

I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Cool thread idea. Here's one shot of mine:

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0865.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I keep most of my personal stuff at work, so most of my "home" shop isn't at home:

not normally this dark, it just makes for lots of contrast

yeah, that's mine

now if I could just keep it this clean all the time...

...but those darn customers keep interfering!

But some of it's still at home, so...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    .....looks clean to me....

Good looking shops

....keep it going.....
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

XC Ground Pounder
    Here's mine, and it too, is never as clean as the photo suggests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-bike-shop_001.jpg  

Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

mtbr member
    here is my shop in my garage. I don't have a lot of space until the snowblower leaves in spring.

also have this pic with out my pride and joy Gary fisher Wahoo disc. I just tinker with that red dimondback sorrento in my spare time. I love having that boombox hooked up to some old computer speakers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc00289-reszie.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc00272-resize.jpg  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?
    Hell that looks so much like my first home shop in my apartment. In the basement, so damp, low ceiling, no light but I wrenched and learned to build wheels there. I'm glad with my new shop now. Can post pics later...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    You can see some of mine behind the bike. I also have a Craftsman toolbox and a steel cabinet on another wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-ross.jpg  

1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member

My Shop/Garage

Had two garages prior in two other houses. This one I planned to build based on needs/wants and previous garages. Took a lot of time planning, drawing, thinking and asking others. Had a contractor build the "shell", a friend and I wired it, my wife and I insulated all of it; (garage door is insulated too) and my friend and I paneled it. There are 13 outlets, three airlines, a drill press, two wheel grinder, air tools, bike tools, workbenches, a sink with a small hot water heater to wash up in, etc. We installed an evaprative cooler for the summer and my two little space heaters do keep the garage warm in winter. I had worked very hard to save the $$ for it because it was to be my LAST garage. I'm not moving ever again.
    I had carpet on the floor to keep it warm in summer and easy on the feet and when I need to crawl under a car. Both our cars fit inside with room to work on my bikes or fix any other item. We have a 20 X 40 shed where the "extras" are stored, including a Safety-Kleen parts washer i got at a garage sale years ago.
    Due to age and body conditions I race a bit less and welcome anyone willing to learn to work on their bikes so they learn how to do it. It's my small way to "give back " to the sport.
    My wife said she didn't care what i put up on the walls so I have all the "ME" walls aI want! Old motorcycle racing trophies, mountain-biking race posters, odds and ends, old pictures, etc etc, LOVE IT!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-resizeda.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-resizedd.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-resized-sinkl.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-resized-f.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-resized-h.jpg  

Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518
    Had two garages prior in two other houses. This one I planned to build based on needs/wants and previous garages. Took a lot of time planning, drawing, thinking and asking others. Had a contractor build the "shell", a friend and I wired it, my wife and I insulated all of it; (garage door is insulated too) and my friend and I paneled it. There are 13 outlets, three airlines, a drill press, two wheel grinder, air tools, bike tools, workbenches, a sink with a small hot water heater to wash up in, etc. We installed an evaprative cooler for the summer and my two little space heaters do keep the garage warm in winter. I had worked very hard to save the $$ for it because it was to be my LAST garage. I'm not moving ever again.
    I had carpet on the floor to keep it warm in summer and easy on the feet and when I need to crawl under a car. Both our cars fit inside with room to work on my bikes or fix any other item. We have a 20 X 40 shed where the "extras" are stored, including a Safety-Kleen parts washer i got at a garage sale years ago.
    Due to age and body conditions I race a bit less and welcome anyone willing to learn to work on their bikes so they learn how to do it. It's my small way to "give back " to the sport.
    My wife said she didn't care what i put up on the walls so I have all the "ME" walls aI want! Old motorcycle racing trophies, mountain-biking race posters, odds and ends, old pictures, etc etc, LOVE IT!!
    Clean!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Thanks Pissed, though my wife disagrees but it is MY garage so it don't matter!!

turtles make me hot
    VTSession, you're gonna go blind down there with that single light bulb. You can get 4 foot hanging florescents at the Depot cheap. I put four in my basement and painted the floor and walls light grey, it has all the light you could ever want.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    LOVE IT!!
    Nice shop. U work for Sears by any chance lol!!

mtbr member
    Thanks 2 WD, nope I've just used their tools for over 50 years, they worked for me when I was an electrician in a steel mill, and when I raced motorcycles. I did have a side business selling motorcycle accessories and doing engine work, porting and polishing heads and cylinders, and did all my own car work. I will say the guys at Sears loved to see me come in!!! They gave me the big sign.
    When I married my wife she didn't have a garage just a 20 X 40 shed whis was my "shop' for several years. Then 3 years ago we had the shell built and now the garage. I worked very hard to build it just "right".
    PS I did save a LOT of $$$$ when I quit drinking!! LOL LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    mechBgon..... I have to compliment you on the custom handwheels on your truing stand.
    Excellent Idea!! That work area is perfect. I love how everything is laid out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks 2 WD, nope I've just used their tools for over 50 years, they worked for me when I was an electrician in a steel mill, and when I raced motorcycles. I did have a side business selling motorcycle accessories and doing engine work, porting and polishing heads and cylinders, and did all my own car work. I will say the guys at Sears loved to see me come in!!! They gave me the big sign.
    When I married my wife she didn't have a garage just a 20 X 40 shed whis was my "shop' for several years. Then 3 years ago we had the shell built and now the garage. I worked very hard to build it just "right".
    PS I did save a LOT of $$$$ when I quit drinking!! LOL LOL
    I used to repair, rebuild, and assemble new bikes for Sears. I ran their bike shop for 8 years and at one point had 4 other techs under me...ya, that's how busy we got there. Their tools are decent and the warranty is great.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would post pictures but that would require me to clean my work bench to take a picture. Maybe one day.

MecBgon, what is that white surface on your bench? I like that. Looks easy to wipe of any spilled oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    VTSession, you're gonna go blind down there with that single light bulb. You can get 4 foot hanging florescents at the Depot cheap. I put four in my basement and painted the floor and walls light grey, it has all the light you could ever want.
    Yeah the light is awful. I can only work down there during the day. I plan on getting some bright lamps at the Depot for sure. I usually need a head lamp too for when I drop bolts and what not.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    I would post pictures but that would require me to clean my work bench to take a picture. Maybe one day.

MecBgon, what is that white surface on your bench? I like that. Looks easy to wipe of any spilled oil.
    I don't know the brand, but it's Formica-type laminate glued to thick plywood. Easy to clean, easy to find small screws and springs and stuff on the white background

mechBgon..... I have to compliment you on the custom handwheels on your truing stand. Excellent Idea!! That work area is perfect. I love how everything is laid out.
    Thanks It would be even better if I weren't crammed under a stairway, but I've done the best I could.

Squalor
    Jan 2004

Long Live Basement Shops!

My little dungeon:

Work space:

Bikes hanging:

More:

More bikes:

Work Bench / Parts Storage:

Wash Area:

I spend WAY too much time down there...

LP

mtbr member
    Hey Ianpope, nice shop area!1 My sink is similar to yours too. You've got a couple of real classic bikes there too!! Nice set-up. I understand "spending too much time in the shop"......but it's comfy/home/peaceful.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

I'm Lucky

When we moved to Colorado, we bought a house with a 14' x 20' carport. We knew we needed more bike storage so we decided to wall the carport in and make a "bike garage". Here's the cool part: it was my wife's idea! It has room for our stable of bikes (2 tandems, 5 short bikes and a variety of trailers and accessories. It also had room for a workbench, bike helmets, shoes, and camelbaks. The great part is that after a ride, we roll up he driveway, load the bikes and stuff into the garage, drop the dirty duds in the laundry room and all is good! I'm now working on insulating and heating the space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-0323a.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-0323d.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-0323c.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-0323b.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Lanpope, very impressive bike collection.

I decided to clean up as best I could between service. Not so impressive but it gets the work done. Not shown in photos is a full size tool box for all the wrenches, sockets and random tools.

mtbr member
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    Nice SKI THE EAST sticker placement.

I really love these threads when they pop up from time to time. It always gives me inspiration to go out and clean out my garage, so I can actually work in it.

One of these days when one can see my workspace instead of the piles of crap that are currently in there I'll snap a picture...

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast