Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "What's your shop look like?" thread

383K views 699 replies 313 participants last post by  TanMan 
#1 ·
I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?

See less See more
#637 ·
Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

Here is a picture of my messy shop. Gonna clean it out over the weekend and repost some after pics. This was part of a large remodel of the house so I gotta do what I want with the garage from scratch.

- The workbench or table top is actually a repurposed door from the house and installed with two large triangular brackets
- The walls are actually wooden floorboards and re-stained to that color
- Chandelier was picked up at a flea market
- Spin bike I picked up for $150 for the days I can't make it out to the trails
- I use the Gladiator organization system and it installs easily and incredibly strong
- My quiver includes a Santa Cruz Bronson 2015, Specialized Camber 2012, GT Fury 2014, Trek Emonda 2015, and Bianchi Europa 1993 as well as an old Trek Hybrid. I think I got everything covered for now.
- I have a Park stand that I use mainly for maintenance and light repairs. I take most of my larger repairs to the LBS as I want to show my support and simply don't have time or the expertise (though I'm learning)

Looking to put some more organization where I can hang up my tools as I hope to accumulate more. I also donate a lot of my old parts to goodwill or smaller bike shops hoping that they can recycle the parts.

Loving this thread and hoping to keep it going!!

#639 ·
I just moved and even though the house is bigger, I lost much of my garage space........my mother-in-law moved into the finished basement, so the two car garage is holding more crap..."SIGH". Anyway, half of the garage will be my man/bike/tool cave. I am planning it out now. My first question is bike storage.....hanging your bike vertically along the wall...... don't know if that will affect my full-susser suspension (fluid in the fork/shock).....will it place tension on headset bearings, etc? I have considered the horizontal mounts, but won't be able to store as many bikes. OH THE AGONY! Already sold one of my bikes so I will have more space! very sad day.

#640 ·

Sus should be fine... maybe good for it actually. It can help by "oiling" the seals. Hydro brakes on the other hand may suffer if they're not bled well.

Anyway, good luck with the new cave and be sure to post up with any progress.

#644 ·
My new vice!

Here's my new Yost vice! Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, reversible, 6 1/2" jaws, and a swivel base. I got the price down below $250 @lowes. I rebuilt my dad's old reloading workbench to mount this on one end and a Baldor bench grinder will go on the other side. Ttyl, Fahn

Attachments

#646 ·
I was doing up my shed and found this thread very useful for ideas and inspiration. So thanks to all who had contributed.

Here is the shed from the outside:

Inside:

I used a slatwall system for the wheel/rim wall and the tools

Most of my tools have been collected over the past 28 or so years, so they look a bit shabby after living in toolboxes all those years.

The spanner holder is an IKEA magnetic knife holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#648 ·

The Park Tool one? That is a "portable" headset wrench from back in the days of threaded headset. The one on the left is a spanner for S&S couplings.

Edit: that may have gone over my head. The correct answer is yes they are when used with metric bolts. They are imperialists otherwise.

#666 ·
Well i moved into a new house in my trailer part and got a brand new 8 X 10 shed. I'm currently still organizing and collecting tools and work benches but here is what I'm working with

View attachment 1145003

View attachment 1145004
Are you concerned about security for the shed? It looks way more valuable than typical shed inventory (lawn mower lawn care)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.