Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "What's your shop look like?" thread

383K views 699 replies 313 participants last post by  TanMan 
#1 ·
I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?

See less See more
#355 · (Edited)
Finally got the shop clean enough to snap a few pictures.

I had to make maximum use of the limited space I had to work with next to the furnace. (warm in the winter and cool in the summer!) The Park Tool Mechanics stands are custom mounted, one on the wall and one on the ceiling/floor joists.

Stainless steel bench top.
:thumbsup:

#358 ·
Great use of space! Please post some pix of the ceiling/joist mounting!

Finally got the shop clean enough to snap a few pictures.

I had to make maximum use of the limited space I had to work with next to the furnace. (warm in the winter and cool in the summer!) The Park Tool Mechanics stands are custom mounted, one on the wall and one on the ceiling/floor joists.

Stainless steel bench top.
:thumbsup:

#700 ·
I'll play.

Since our old house only has a 2-car garage (which of course, are occupied by our vehicles), I built a work shed dedicated to my bicycling needs. Was all proud of myself until I started dabbling in woodwork and realized I need an even bigger space for my miter saw and what nought!

Insulated and paneled with plys and shiplaps. Floor is made up of some durable plastic tiles that snaps together. Can't remember the brand. It's durable but a bit noisy when you step on it.

Pneumatic needs complete with hose reel , Park tool inflator (worth every dollar) and a small dying compressor. Behind the black mtb is a small table for all my bike associated lubes, brake fluid and tire sealant. More vertical rack storages in the back for wife's bike and my 27.5 bike.

Messy workbench. A small AC unit in the back to keep cool in the summer Inferno of AZ. Second level is all camping or storage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#668 · (Edited)
Lighting Ceiling Shelf Shelving Box

The Hubbard map on one wall and the Hubbard logo on the other. Drawers for the "important tools", bins for old parts, cables/housing, rags, manuals...On the walls are torque wrenches, ratchets, flat/philips/torx drivers, bike specific wrenches (bb, headset), cone wrenches, HS press/removers, derailleur hanger straightener...

Ceiling Waste container Workshop Machine Waste containment

The truing stand is lower than the workbench to help when I had carpel tunnel. It slides forward and backward so I can put one of the stools there to sit on. There's also a "cutting board" that slides in and out under it so when I'm sitting there it fits between my legs. No more dropped spoke wrenches or nips!

Machine Tool Toolroom Scientific instrument Drill

The stand is forward in this pic with the "cutting board" slid out. I have a small vice mounted with a spoke thread roller to the right.

Machine Engineering Drill Scientific instrument Tool

This bench is more for rebuilding wheels/forks/shocks. The press is removable with 2 wingnuts under the bench.

Machine Toolroom Workshop Plywood Workbench

Room Stool Cabinetry Shelving Drawer

Ttyl, Fahn

Attachments

#330 ·
My space. Requirement: still be able to get a car in there if need be, even though we normally don't. Narrow space, so going up the walls was/is the answer.

Bikes hanging about. Table-saw - not out of the box even, but meant for eventual use when a long stretch of bad weather or crap trail conditions or injury time.

Cabinets were there when we bought the place, didn't see any reason to not use them as they were. Bike and spare house junk. The beach cruiser is the preferred method of walking the dog. My commuter lives on the back deck.

House junk, vac, entry into the kitchen, blahblahblah.

Built this counter and table thing, and the upper shelf to extend storage, and actually have some form of work table. The leaf drops down, thew leg pops out of the way. Mix of house/bike/yard/random tools.

The pegboard is evolving based on what gets the most use. A small shed is an eventuality - that'll let me get the yard stuff out of here, freeing up more room for fun-hog stuff, and the table saw setup. Going to do more upper shelving along the walls and off the rafters, where I can, to free up other space as well.

#40 ·
This thread motivated me to finally go out and do a bit more organizing to my garage so I have somewhat of an work area.

I'm thinking of putting up that piece of pegboard that's sitting behind the workbench up right above it so that I have some place to hang some tools.

Attachments

#82 ·
When my partner and I bought a house about a year ago, the downstairs area immediately caught my attention as a possible workshop area. It's not as good as some of the shops I've seen here, but it gets me by without too much trouble :)

The room was empty beforehand, so the desks were built, painted & installed by myself (and woodwork isn't one of my strong points ;))

Some shots of the before, during & completed for you all to (hopefully) enjoy :)

Room Wood Property Floor Drawer

Room Ceiling Cabinetry Drawer Desk

Floor Flooring Wood Room Property

Text Line Light Tints and shades Parallel

Tan Rectangle Wood stain Plywood

Rectangle Cake Dessert Pastry

Wood Wall Wood stain Hardwood Paint

Room Floor Ceiling Gas Machine

Room Display device Computer monitor accessory Computer accessory Computer hardware

#91 ·
My Bike Cave

Last winter I converted my garage to a bike cave ,where all things that are bike related go and have their place.
Being organized helps getting ready for a ride quickly much easier.
I also enjoy working on and constantly tweaking/modifying bike setups.
The allen key and screwdriver holder i made out of some extra maple handrail that i had in the garage.i drilled each hole at an angle so that the tools would be easier to grab.
I used stainless steel trim head screws to hang the tools on the board.

Attachments

#117 ·
My setup is less than impressive and far less than organized / clean. The garage was one of the reasons I bought the house. It has the width of a 3-car, but only 2 doors. It is also extra deep and has 8 foot doors so we can get my wife's SUV inside with the ski box on top. Previous owner had a wood shop in here, so I have insulation, 220v service, and a gas heater. I pulled the kitchen cabinets from a re-model project a buddy was doing and installed them in here, so the storage was free. I built the bike rack on the floor so my wife and kids can get their bikes and the loaner bikes easily, while most of mine hang.

Attachments

#221 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.