Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    Here's the Cave.

This is my favorite shop on this forum. Your use of small space, and your quality of finishing is awesome!
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"

Disabled Vet
    Aww MAN!!! After the ride I was wiped out,forgot to shoot pics!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    Finally remembered Here's mine,a work in progress (though I don't know for sure yet whether to finish setting this up as my workshop or whether I'm actually gonna build a bit bigger,nice-than-this-tin-can shed just for that purpose...depends on if I can convince her NOT to want to sell and move,now that here is 5 years from being paid for,LOL!).

Needs a workbench,but it' already snug...

(Besides tearing it down...) Any idears/suggestions?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Here's my little work area..

It's in a single car garage...no chance of getting a car in there for the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

US Soccer
    Okay.... I am now Jealous...

My "work" area is wherever I can find room.

Still building my tool collection too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    (Besides tearing it down...) Any idears/suggestions?
    Insulation! That thing is gonna be like an oven in the summer and like a freezer in the winter. You won't even want to step in there just to get your bike. I'd suggest getting on craigslist and finding a cheap or free window a/c unit and using that in the summer, and a couple ceramic heaters in the winter.

Disabled Vet
    I could possily do some insulating on it...but it's a single-layer (read,cheap) tin shed,not much way of A/C or heating it much...and it just got a bit fuller. I sold the Redline today,picking up a Bandersnatch tomorrow-to park alongside of the new Jabberwockey-and scored a sweet deal from the coolest of LBS owners today on this...

...so 3 bikes (+ the Dawes and the kiddo's bikes) instead of two. Also,I measured it out (inside wall-wall) at 10'x12.5'...there just ain't enough room to set it up the way I wanna . I'm thinking,Mama's Mini-Mopar (Dodge Neon,LMBO! ) will be paid off in just a few months,maybe have a new workshop built "on my site" soon after with a small down payment,and same-sized-as-the-car-payment-payment on one around 12'x20' or so,isulated,and wired for electrics....but I'd have to convince her
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    Getting too full,too fast,and I already didn't have room for a workbench...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Getting too full,too fast,and I already didn't have room for a workbench...
    1) Hang your bikes by a wheel on your left wall. (make a rack to do this out of wood or what ever) it will go about 1 ft from front wall. Put some pegs on it for your trunk rack so that it sits between the front wall and the bike rack
    2) hang mtb tires on back wall near the ceiling on a thick dowel (1 inch?)
    3) take car tires out for time being
    4) put workbench along right wall, fold up stand and pull it out when needed otherwise tuck it near the front between the front wall and work bench which should be ~4 inch from front wall ( i would recommend a 36 inch deep bench and about 5 ft long for your space)
    5) all of your tools can now go underneath your workbench
    6) along that back wall: put those rubbermaid tubs you have the car tires in what ever way you want but i reccomend as small of a pile as possible in the back left corner.
    7) take that black rack you have put that in the back right corner
    8) fishing poles: put a small rack to go above your work bench to store them horizontally.
    9) kids bikes: this could be a bit tricky but they should fit between the rubbermaid tubs and the black shelving unit along that back wall

am i forgetting anything? oh wait lawn chairs alon gthe back in front of kiddie bike and tubs.

I think thats is everything

Note that was all eyed out it may not fit that way but should be close....I think

Good luck

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243
    1) Hang your bikes by a wheel on your left wall. (make a rack to do this out of wood or what ever) it will go about 1 ft from front wall. Put some pegs on it for your trunk rack so that it sits between the front wall and the bike rack
    2) hang mtb tires on back wall near the ceiling on a thick dowel (1 inch?)
    3) take car tires out for time being
    4) put workbench along right wall, fold up stand and pull it out when needed otherwise tuck it near the front between the front wall and work bench which should be ~4 inch from front wall ( i would recommend a 36 inch deep bench and about 5 ft long for your space)
    5) all of your tools can now go underneath your workbench
    6) along that back wall: put those rubbermaid tubs you have the car tires in what ever way you want but i reccomend as small of a pile as possible in the back left corner.
    7) take that black rack you have put that in the back right corner
    8) fishing poles: put a small rack to go above your work bench to store them horizontally.
    9) kids bikes: this could be a bit tricky but they should fit between the rubbermaid tubs and the black shelving unit along that back wall

am i forgetting anything? oh wait lawn chairs alon gthe back in front of kiddie bike and tubs.

I think thats is everything

Note that was all eyed out it may not fit that way but should be close....I think

Good luck
    DUDE!!! Brilliant! It may not all fit/work,but those are some awesome thoughts I hadn't (had)

The truck tires,though,will be there a little longer (until I do enough burnouts to wear the rear pair down and she lets me have em mounted ),as I have no other lockable/safe place for em,but the two Rubbermaid-like tubs are now moved out. I'm not sure the 29"ers would fit on the left wall,it'll be close,but I hadn't thought of that,I'll measure tomorrow,if not,maybe put a bench there,hang the bikes in the back...

I've been researching local "we build on your site" workshop/shed builders these last couple weeks...might be in budget once her car's paid off in a few months,but there's a new problem with investing in a new one...she's been wanting to sell and move out of here-oh,since we moved in ( ),but there was an incident and news today that fueled her fire for doing just that today,so yeah,(one,I feel dumb for not seeing some of those tips myself,and two...) I might be just using this one for this year/till we sell/move,whichever comes to pass.

Sorry,long-winded,that's the trucker part of me talking,LOL! Thanks (bunches!) for the tips
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    My shop is still a work in progress. The wife and I just bought a townhouse and moved in last November. I've been slowly building this small 12x12 section of our basement ever since. I just started building the shelf unit yesterday and ran out of screws. Gotta run to HD after work so I can finish it and the shelf under the bench. Still working on my tool collection also. I am very happy with it so far.

Disabled Vet
    DUDE!!! Brilliant! It may not all fit/work,but those are some awesome thoughts I hadn't (had)

The truck tires,though,will be there a little longer (until I do enough burnouts to wear the rear pair down and she lets me have em mounted ),as I have no other lockable/safe place for em,but the two Rubbermaid-like tubs are now moved out. I'm not sure the 29"ers would fit on the left wall,it'll be close,but I hadn't thought of that,I'll measure tomorrow,if not,maybe put a bench there,hang the bikes in the back...

I've been researching local "we build on your site" workshop/shed builders these last couple weeks...might be in budget once her car's paid off in a few months,but there's a new problem with investing in a new one...she's been wanting to sell and move out of here-oh,since we moved in ( ),but there was an incident and news today that fueled her fire for doing just that today,so yeah,(one,I feel dumb for not seeing some of those tips myself,and two...) I might be just using this one for this year/till we sell/move,whichever comes to pass.

Sorry,long-winded,that's the trucker part of me talking,LOL! Thanks (bunches!) for the tips

I think my "Build a New Workshop" budget got blown today...picked up another S-truck to play with (I already cruise a lowered '96 S10 extended cab). I was planning to buy it,pull the steel cowl hood,wheels,better drop kit and such from the new one to swap onto my Dime then resell it for about the same moneys (it was a bit under market average),but it turned out much nicer than we'd expected,and the unexpected happened,SHE wants to keep it,LOL!

No new shed,but at least I got a new bike hauler,LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Here's my shop

MTBR says I haven't posted in a while, and since I always do what I'm told...my studio as I like to call it.

...just added the clocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1291.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1290.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1292.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1408.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet clocks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie144 View Post
    Here is my little corner of the basement....
    Where did you get the bike stand in picture #2 ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steveccnv View Post
    Where did you get the bike stand in picture #2 ?
    That's one of the heavier duty park tool stands with a clamp that would be found in local bike shops across the globe.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=54694

I have the PRS-5 which is a home 'stand' with the pro 'head'

The shop duty clamps are superior to anything else out there.

Monocog Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR View Post
    MTBR says I haven't posted in a while, and since I always do what I'm told...my studio as I like to call it.

...just added the clocks.
    I have a set of those Spinergy wheels for my 1994 Trek 2200. They were/are great wheels. One of these days I'm going to overhaul and detail the bike and take it out for a group ride.

mtbr member
    Updated pic...with my lake out back.

Last edited by RSWMTB; 10-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    This is all I have to work with right now. I take over the living room when I need to do some maintenance or repairs. Hopefully, I'll be able to purchase a small building to put in the back yard in the next couple of years for a more proper work shop.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-uploadfromtaptalk1315960480085.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My "Man Cave"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie144 View Post
    Here is my little corner of the basement....
    Nice shop!!! What type of clock is on your wall? It's sweet!

mtbr member

soon im gonna get pegboard to put on the wall around the window to hangmy tools on and ill also upload some pics with the bike hanging from the ceiling when i get a chance
    Last edited by henry9419; 09-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    I like the tire mirror. Thats a really good idea.
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member

When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool Shops. The tire mirror came from Ikea.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast