Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    If I'm doing something really messy I usually throw down a large 3'x5' piece of cardboard and let all the lube and dirt fall onto it. I can then sweep up the dirt and let the lube dry out.
    I use a folding stand and usually set it up outside because the natural light is better than anything I can get inside and I can still see the small stuff without having to reach for the readers. (The over-45 crowd here knows what I'm talking about). I'm setting up on a concrete patio so if it's just dirt I'll let it fall and sweep or hose it away later, but when I expect to drop some lube I toss down a short strip of plywood (about 18" by 48") and let the excess drip down onto that. I've had that piece of wood forever, we use it as a spray paint table (set up on sawhorses), we've set up fireworks on it, and done all sorts of other toxic things so that little strip of wood is probably a Superfund site by now. But it keeps doing it's job and it won't go into the landfill before I do, so I figure it's a reasonably ecological solution.

Oh...I live in California so other than a bit of rain and cold every now and then, weather is not much of a factor in deciding to work inside or out. I know it's a luxury compared to where a lot of you guys live.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My shop is really small, maybe 10x12; in fact so tiny that our mountain bikes are living somewhere else.

Here goes:

WAWE
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post

mtbr member
    Reminds me of that briefcase from Pulp Fiction. So THAT'S what was in there.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

mtbr member
    such an amazing collection of tools.....
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Here is my single car garage that houses a car every night. Due to this; i'm restricted to the perimeter and can't have a permanent work stand like Id love to have. All other bikes are tucked away in a little 'cove'. I have a tool addiction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-complete-view.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-board.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-true.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-shelves.jpg  

Monocog Masher
    I'd be curious to hear your opinion of your DT Swiss truing stand. How does it compare to the Park truing stand?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost View Post
    I'd be curious to hear your opinion of your DT Swiss truing stand. How does it compare to the Park truing stand?
    It is a very neat and accurate stand. The dials on it are super precise and it all feels like it is swiss made. I do feel the Park is quicker to use (installing wheels, getting it adjusted for different wheel sizes) and the Park offers the auto dishing (when setup properly). For me, my eye sight isn't great and I like the ability to use just one arm when trueing a wheel and go by sound, whereas the Park often requires sight once the wheel is near straight as the arms are close to the rim on either side (I know this can be fixed by sticking something in one of the arms, but it's not as good). Getting a wheel super super straight is definately easier with the precision the DT Swiss stand offers.

With that all being said, I got it for a joke of a low price and it didn't cost me all that much more than what the Park would have. If your talking normal pricing; the Park wins hands down.

A peak at my wheel building hand tools:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-wheel-draw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Heres my home shop... wedged in the dark corner of the basement. Just moved into this house a month ago, so theres no shelving or peg board set up quite yet. I also need A LOT more tools, i only have the basics plus a couple specialty tools. Fortunately i work at a shop, so im not in a rush to buy everything.

At Work
    Started some renovations of my shop. Will Post pics later.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    I cant wait to be able to have my own shop. One day.....
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's my garage setup, with room at the far end for a small work out area!

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3112-%5B50%25%5D.jpg

Bonus shot - a bike stand made from an old seat post, flat handlebar, and a curtain rod I found on garbage day

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3114-%5B50%25%5D.jpg

Oh yah, whenever I show interest in something 'questionable', my wife quips: "yah, that'd look nice...in the garage...'

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post
    Oh yah, whenever I show interest in something 'questionable', my wife quips: "yah, that'd look nice...in the garage...'
    what more reason do you need than that?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Show more pics of the bike stand please! I've got about 5 old sh*tty seatposts and 4 handlebars and have other things to use for the stand..just curious about how you have it holding the bike up.

mtbr member
    good lookin setups in here

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FYI- I hate most of you.

**Insert jealous icon here***

banned
    Our garage is 20' wide by 30' deep. We park the van in there most of the time and leave my sedan in the driveway. I've been doing a lot of miscellaneous projects lately and not cleaning up after myself very well.

I'm about to start the "winter cleaning" and put up a bunch of new light fixtures.

Here's a couple of photos of my workbench and wood storage rack not long after we moved in.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_1036.jpg The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_1040.jpg The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_1097.jpg

Unfortunately, this is how it's looking these days...

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_7728-2.jpg The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_7736-1.jpg

<iframe frameborder="0" src="http://photosynth.net/embed.aspx?cid=e33b4360-c858-4576-b6f6-17ee5226221e&delayLoad=true&slideShowPlaying=false " width="500" height="300"></iframe>

Maybe some public embarrassment will motivate me to getting it put in proper order...

mtbr member
    My humble man cave. Nothing special, but it works great for drinking beers in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

formerly known as a seat post

Hey Sasquatch, here's another shot:

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-img_0790-%5B50%25%5D.jpg

Nothing too ingenious - cut the seat post short, drilled a hole in it to match with a tapped hole in the handlebar and screwed those together. I threaded and bent a couple lengths of aluminum rod (from an old bicycle rack), tapped the upper two holes in the handlebar, and added the nuts so nothing would work itself loose. The bottom legs are from a curtain rod - (the fancy bends were there to start with ), and fit in place where the saddle rails would go. Adjust your "seat angle" as required and you're good to go.

mtbr member

Tennessee chop shop

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-photo-1-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-photo-2-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-photo-3-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-photo-4-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-photo.jpg  

"too weird to live, too rare to die"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here's my set-up. Just finished the workbench. Custom made all-welded frame under it, and a solid wood top. The wooden wall is a bike rack and divides the tandem garage in half. Commuter bikes on the other side.
    Stoked.

I posted a pic of my truing stand here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/my-c...ml#post8821798
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-2011-12-13-18.12.35.jpg  

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by evrac View Post
    Here's my set-up. Just finished the workbench. Custom made all-welded frame under it, and a solid wood top.
    Love the workbench. I need a solid wood top like that. Is that a Makita radio?
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV View Post
    Love the workbench. I need a solid wood top like that. Is that a Makita radio?
    The wood top is actually a door! I spent a long time looking at different options. Pre-made butcher block tops are like $300, and they can warp. Plywood's a bit cheesy. Found this on craigslist for cheap, with no holes in it at all and mint. Routered the edges 1/2" round, and varathaned it.

Yeah, love the makita. Have an 18v drill to.
    The red thing behind it is a lego smartphone stand for music!

banned
    That bike rack / divider is a great idea.

You know my steez...
    A door? That's genius! I don't have a wood top because butcher block cost a fortune, but I might be able to swing a door!

Great idea and awesome execution!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A door? That's genius! I don't have a wood top because butcher block cost a fortune, but I might be able to swing a door!

Cool, thanks.
    Just make sure it's an old-style solid core door. Most are hollow nowadays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I asked in the truing stand thread what the work bench top was made from....now I know.

banned
    I just installed nine 4' dual-bulb florescent light fixtures in my garage. Muahahahahaha!!! Lit up like an operating room now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My garage is still a mess, but I finally built my bike rack and tire storage.I think the bike rack will see some revisions or possible a whole redesign. Not 100% happy with it, but it will do in the mean time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-bikerack1-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thats a LOT of tires!

mtbr member
    ^Looks as if many are still brand new too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The wife actually thinks the tire rack should be bigger.....that and she wants a hanger for her race wheelset too....lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hey atleast shes for the biking and not against it!

At Work

I just built a new countertop and put down 1 layer of 3/4" ACX plywood and then installed some 2 1/4" Oak Hardwood Flooring (3/4" thick) on top. Light sand and coat with Polyurethane. Very sturdy and dense.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    I just built a new countertop and put down 1 layer of 3/4" ACX plywood and then installed some 2 1/4" Oak Hardwood Flooring (3/4" thick) on top. Light sand and coat with Polyurethane. Very sturdy and dense.
    Props. That's a great option. It will give you the nice look of a butcher block, without the cost, and nice and flat, and repairable.

mtbr member
    My favorite workbench has 2x4 joined together, it is super solid and cheap. This is my heavy duty bench but not the one that I use for bikes that much. The white bench is my bike bench.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazB View Post
    hey atleast shes for the biking and not against it!
    She actually has nicer bikes then I do......so much so that I think the dog is losing respect for me.

mtb enthusiast
    Bikes live in the garage 3rd bay, against the wall. Directly in front of the third bay is a 'half bay' work area where all the damage is done. It's my little corner of the world (literally) and my MTB sanctuary. The only thing left to do is to put a small flat-panel TV (in place of the large photo) on the wall so I can watch football while wrenching on my bikes .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-dsc_0486-979x1024-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-dsc_0481-1024x729-.jpg  

The &quot;What's your shop look like?&quot; thread-dsc_0482-1024x675-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like the little vise-held bike stand! How far out is the bike held, i.e. so that you can turn the cranks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What brand of tool box is that in the last post?

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    You mean the one with the Craftsman badge on it?

I've got no idea.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

At Work
    Lol
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post
    I like the little vise-held bike stand! How far out is the bike held, i.e. so that you can turn the cranks?
    Look up the '$6.50 Bench Repair Stand' thread in Tooltime area. All the details are there. Yes, pedals clear the vise.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Craftsman stainless 14 drawer. 'Ball Bearing Griplatch'

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I recently did some upgrades to my home workshop in the garage. Its still a work in progress but the bulk of it is done.

This is what I started out with when I bought the house last year......

I re-wired the entire garage, added lights and outlets, installed plywood walls, patched the giant hole in the floor, I also reworked the setup to use the space to its maximum potential.

The work bench area

More of the work bench and tool area, I also have a computer setup in the shop for easy access to manuals and such.

The tool board

The well stocked storage area, complete with TV and DVD above for watching bike and/or dirt bike related videos

Anti-fatigue mat

The bike storage area, room for 4 bikes

Details of the storage hooks, the 2x4 that the hooks mount to is screwed into the wall studs with some seriously heavy duty hardware

I still need to add some finishing touches, and more mats would be nice.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=edray;8812350]My humble man cave. Nothing special, but it works great for drinking beers in.

I have that some Marantz receiver in my garage - that thing really puts out some nice clean power. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's mine:

When I bought the house this was some sort of officey kind of room with a bunch of built-in cabinets and shelves... But the garage is a pretty small single and with the car in there for the winter there's no space for a proper work bench or anything, so I tore it all the office stuff out and built a separate workshop. Sorry about the road bike - all my mountain bikes are at work.

mtbr member
    Above, thats the cleanest shop I've ever seen. Looks good.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    The newest addition to my shop area

I already had the stand..as you can see it isn't bolted down to the floor yet, but decided to make a clamp for the stand.

Had to shove the base under my truck tire to catch a decent picture with a bike on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My shop with my new cabinet I got for Christmas.

And my new work stand I got for Christmas.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast