Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Looks like hanging the bike just illuminated problems you had to begin with...
    Actually, I think that hanging the bikes upside down is what caused the problem.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood
    Here is a shot of mine
    Cool BMX. What kind is it? Those handlebars look like old school CW bars

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    Actually, I think that hanging the bikes upside down is what caused the problem.

No, you're missing the point. If your brakes were properly bled to begin with and the master cylinders were in good shape, hanging would have no effect. If your fork was in good shape and the seals were in good condition, it would not have leaked.

Hanging your bike brings to light issues that may already exist with the bike, but that you can't see under normal riding conditions.

A bike in good shape should have no issues being hung upside-down. If you have problems, it's because of pre-existing conditions.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    No, you're missing the point. If your brakes were properly bled to begin with and the master cylinders were in good shape, hanging would have no effect. If your fork was in good shape and the seals were in good condition, it would not have leaked.

Hanging your bike brings to light issues that may already exist with the bike, but that you can't see under normal riding conditions.

A bike in good shape should have no issues being hung upside-down. If you have problems, it's because of pre-existing conditions.
    No, I got the point. You may be right, but I've seen too many conficting opinions on this. I have the space, so I'll just leave my bike on the ground, right side up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Byke Dood
    This is my new shop toy a handle bar doom I custom made that holds your bars while you service your forks and also can hold brake levers, flashlight and shifterpods
    Clever! Care to elaborate on the construction of it?

mtbr member
    This is one of my favorite threads. I love seeing pictures of the home workshop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When my partner and I bought a house about a year ago, the downstairs area immediately caught my attention as a possible workshop area. It's not as good as some of the shops I've seen here, but it gets me by without too much trouble

The room was empty beforehand, so the desks were built, painted & installed by myself (and woodwork isn't one of my strong points )

Some shots of the before, during & completed for you all to (hopefully) enjoy

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3595.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3597.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3598.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3620.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3624.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3629.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3636.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop-wide-01.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop-wide-02.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    When my partner and I bought a house about a year ago, the downstairs area immediately caught my attention as a possible workshop area. It's not as good as some of the shops I've seen here, but it gets me by without too much trouble

The room was empty beforehand, so the desks were built, painted & installed by myself (and woodwork isn't one of my strong points )

Some shots of the before, during & completed for you all to (hopefully) enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3595.JPG 
Views:	3295 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	587585

Name:	IMG_3597.JPG 
Views:	3259 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	587586

Name:	IMG_3598.JPG 
Views:	3252 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	587587

Name:	IMG_3620.JPG 
Views:	3259 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	587588

Name:	IMG_3624.JPG 
Views:	3245 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	587589

Name:	IMG_3629.JPG 
Views:	3244 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	587590

Name:	IMG_3636.JPG 
Views:	3245 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	587591

Name:	Workshop Wide 01.jpg 
Views:	3260 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	587592

Name:	Workshop Wide 02.jpg 
Views:	3262 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	587593

OK, I gotta' ask. Is that a wooden spoon next to the rubber mallet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^^^
    Yep, it sure is I find it works at the perfect dowel to wrap a towel around when I'm servicing my forks & I need to clean the inside of the uppers & lowers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I finally had a chance over the holidays to clean up my garage enough to take a few pictures.

Parts bin:

My workbench and tool storage:

Another small workbench with my drillpress:

and Bike storage:

mtbr member
    May 2008
    converted the a side area of the basement into a work area, used a few old drawers to make a spot for my tools.

Specialized, Schwalbe, Twenty6, SixSixOne, Azonic, ODI, Elka, Crank Brothers, WTB

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    workbench and more bike crap

Latest pile of junked bikes..

Mess out of hand.

The Garage

The Garage (sort of) Cleaned.

mtbr member

This isn't neccessarily my shop but it is my portable do everything workbench. The metal frame came off of the old yakima displays that looked like the front of hummers. I used the portion under the "hood" as this. I made a wood top and bolted on a Park bench mount stand, truing stand, vice, and 4 swivelling casters to the bottom. In the shelves I've got 2 tool boxed stuffed with tools, pile of rags, boxes of small parts, a green 25-drawer organizer that trash picked for smaller parts, lubes, cleaners...literally everything I need except an air compressor (although I do have a floor pump under there). This works perfect for moving around from place to place or garage to garage. Probably the best ability it has is to be able to be moved outside on a nice day and I don't have to run back and forth for tools and parts.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS

Probably the best ability it has is to be able to be moved outside on a nice day and I don't have to run back and forth for tools and parts.
    That is convenient. Great idea.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

greedy

My corner in the basement

mtbr member

My Bike Cave

Last winter I converted my garage to a bike cave ,where all things that are bike related go and have their place.
    Being organized helps getting ready for a ride quickly much easier.
    I also enjoy working on and constantly tweaking/modifying bike setups.
    The allen key and screwdriver holder i made out of some extra maple handrail that i had in the garage.i drilled each hole at an angle so that the tools would be easier to grab.
    I used stainless steel trim head screws to hang the tools on the board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imgp0011.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imgp0014.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Adam

I'm currently working on my shop area. It's been buried in the garage mess for far too long. I've probably got about half of the garage cleaned up, but I still have to organize my workbenches and deal with some of my bigger yard tools and whatnot.

The workbenches won't be done until I get a respectable toolbox for everything. I'll be getting a Craftsman box to get that sorted out (my local Sears is so puny that I have to order the boxes - their display models are beat to hell).

I did just get a compressor for Christmas for air work. I need to rebuild my canoe rack to raise the canoe about a foot, but I can't do that until I get the floorspace cleared out so I can get the boat out of the garage. I have some scrap treated lumber I'm donating to the local trail crew and clearing that junk out will open up some space, too. I'll also be putting attic access (drop-down ladder - I have one already, but the builder for some stupid reason put it in the hallway in the house where the space is too tight to actually get anything up there) in my garage so I can get all of the holiday decorations out of my workspace.

Maybe when I'm done I'll be able to fit one car in my two car garage. If I had a shed for my yard tools I might actually get both cars in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    I'll also be putting attic access (drop-down ladder - I have one already, but the builder for some stupid reason put it in the hallway in the house where the space is too tight to actually get anything up there) in my garage so I can get all of the holiday decorations out of my workspace
    Sounds good I'm still finishing my garage re-organization. It's nice not to have that nagging feeling and regret when walking past and over the mess just to get to work on something

I don't know if Texas building codes are similar, but in California the code is such that garages have stricter requirements on fire containment than the rest of the house, as fires as more likely to start there and if the fire got into the attic it would be harder to stop and will spread quicker to the rest of the house (that's how it was explained to me at least). The previous owners of my house had a nice drop down ladder in the garage and had to remove it and patch the hole to pass inspection. I saw some insulated ladders that meet this code but they are more expensive. For now I'm still putting up with indoor hallway access too

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Sounds good I'm still finishing my garage re-organization. It's nice not to have that nagging feeling and regret when walking past and over the mess just to get to work on something

I don't know if Texas building codes are similar, but in California the code is such that garages have stricter requirements on fire containment than the rest of the house, as fires as more likely to start there and if the fire got into the attic it would be harder to stop and will spread quicker to the rest of the house (that's how it was explained to me at least). The previous owners of my house had a nice drop down ladder in the garage and had to remove it and patch the hole to pass inspection. I saw some insulated ladders that meet this code but they are more expensive. For now I'm still putting up with indoor hallway access too
    Ugh, that might explain it. The builder cheaped out on other stuff, too, so it would not surprise me that he put the drop-down ladder in the hallway to avoid buying a more expensive drop-down ladder for the garage that met fire codes. I'd probably buy one of the more expensive ladders that met the code to make the attic space actually usable for storage.

The ladder in the hallway is just fine for getting up there to access the furnace and blower, but the little platform in the attic is surrounded by ductwork and electrical and would not be an appropriate place to bring large Christmas tree boxes and such up into the attic. The attic space above the garage is completely empty...and is even completely uninsulated (another example of the builder cheaping out?) and would therefore be a blank slate for me to better insulate the garage and bring up a bunch of plywood to make a floor up there for storage.

I'm not concerned so much about winter insulation. It doesn't get too terribly cold here for very long that the garage becomes unusable. In the summertime, though, the heat becomes unbearable in there. I'll post some pictures of my progress later today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 4220
Size:  4.7 KBMy washer and dryer are my workbench, and everything I need at hand is kept in the repair stand tray..

Here are some photos of my progress so far. It's not done yet. The canoe is too low, so it's getting raised at least 6"...I will try to get it as close to the garage door tracks as I can without it being in the way.

I just ordered a Craftsman toolbox set which should be in in a week or so. The sale price was just too good to pass up ($160 off on the particular combo I ordered). The pile of stuff you see on the wall opposite the canoe is mostly decorations that will wind up in the attic sooner rather than later. Some of that is trash or stuff that needs to be donated, too. Mostly that stuff won't remain in the garage.

I also need to make room for a freezer. I think it will go to the left of the water heater underneath the light switches or just to the right of the air compressor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3401.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3402.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3403.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_3404.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367
    Clever! Care to elaborate on the construction of it?
    Here is a couple of shots I took of one I just finished for my double arm stand, it is all alloy construction and fully adjustable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-im000618.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-im000617.jpg  

on a freeride

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is my shop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imag0140.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imag0141.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imag0142.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-imag0143.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dude! how many bikes do you have????
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast