Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    Here's the Cave.

This is my favorite shop on this forum. Your use of small space, and your quality of finishing is awesome!
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Aww MAN!!! After the ride I was wiped out,forgot to shoot pics!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Finally remembered Here's mine,a work in progress (though I don't know for sure yet whether to finish setting this up as my workshop or whether I'm actually gonna build a bit bigger,nice-than-this-tin-can shed just for that purpose...depends on if I can convince her NOT to want to sell and move,now that here is 5 years from being paid for,LOL!).

Needs a workbench,but it' already snug...

(Besides tearing it down...) Any idears/suggestions?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Here's my little work area..

It's in a single car garage...no chance of getting a car in there for the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

US Soccer
    Okay.... I am now Jealous...

My "work" area is wherever I can find room.

Still building my tool collection too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    (Besides tearing it down...) Any idears/suggestions?
    Insulation! That thing is gonna be like an oven in the summer and like a freezer in the winter. You won't even want to step in there just to get your bike. I'd suggest getting on craigslist and finding a cheap or free window a/c unit and using that in the summer, and a couple ceramic heaters in the winter.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I could possily do some insulating on it...but it's a single-layer (read,cheap) tin shed,not much way of A/C or heating it much...and it just got a bit fuller. I sold the Redline today,picking up a Bandersnatch tomorrow-to park alongside of the new Jabberwockey-and scored a sweet deal from the coolest of LBS owners today on this...

...so 3 bikes (+ the Dawes and the kiddo's bikes) instead of two. Also,I measured it out (inside wall-wall) at 10'x12.5'...there just ain't enough room to set it up the way I wanna . I'm thinking,Mama's Mini-Mopar (Dodge Neon,LMBO! ) will be paid off in just a few months,maybe have a new workshop built "on my site" soon after with a small down payment,and same-sized-as-the-car-payment-payment on one around 12'x20' or so,isulated,and wired for electrics....but I'd have to convince her
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Getting too full,too fast,and I already didn't have room for a workbench...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Getting too full,too fast,and I already didn't have room for a workbench...
    1) Hang your bikes by a wheel on your left wall. (make a rack to do this out of wood or what ever) it will go about 1 ft from front wall. Put some pegs on it for your trunk rack so that it sits between the front wall and the bike rack
    2) hang mtb tires on back wall near the ceiling on a thick dowel (1 inch?)
    3) take car tires out for time being
    4) put workbench along right wall, fold up stand and pull it out when needed otherwise tuck it near the front between the front wall and work bench which should be ~4 inch from front wall ( i would recommend a 36 inch deep bench and about 5 ft long for your space)
    5) all of your tools can now go underneath your workbench
    6) along that back wall: put those rubbermaid tubs you have the car tires in what ever way you want but i reccomend as small of a pile as possible in the back left corner.
    7) take that black rack you have put that in the back right corner
    8) fishing poles: put a small rack to go above your work bench to store them horizontally.
    9) kids bikes: this could be a bit tricky but they should fit between the rubbermaid tubs and the black shelving unit along that back wall

am i forgetting anything? oh wait lawn chairs alon gthe back in front of kiddie bike and tubs.

I think thats is everything

Note that was all eyed out it may not fit that way but should be close....I think

Good luck

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243
    1) Hang your bikes by a wheel on your left wall. (make a rack to do this out of wood or what ever) it will go about 1 ft from front wall. Put some pegs on it for your trunk rack so that it sits between the front wall and the bike rack
    4) put workbench along right wall, fold up stand and pull it out when needed otherwise tuck it near the front between the front wall and work bench which should be ~4 inch from front wall ( i would recommend a 36 inch deep bench and about 5 ft long for your space)
    6) along that back wall: put those rubbermaid tubs you have the car tires in what ever way you want but i reccomend as small of a pile as possible in the back left corner.
    8) fishing poles: put a small rack to go above your work bench to store them horizontally.
    9) kids bikes: this could be a bit tricky but they should fit between the rubbermaid tubs and the black shelving unit along that back wall

am i forgetting anything? oh wait lawn chairs alon gthe back in front of kiddie bike and tubs.

Note that was all eyed out it may not fit that way but should be close....I think

Good luck
    DUDE!!! Brilliant! It may not all fit/work,but those are some awesome thoughts I hadn't (had)

The truck tires,though,will be there a little longer (until I do enough burnouts to wear the rear pair down and she lets me have em mounted ),as I have no other lockable/safe place for em,but the two Rubbermaid-like tubs are now moved out. I'm not sure the 29"ers would fit on the left wall,it'll be close,but I hadn't thought of that,I'll measure tomorrow,if not,maybe put a bench there,hang the bikes in the back...

I've been researching local "we build on your site" workshop/shed builders these last couple weeks...might be in budget once her car's paid off in a few months,but there's a new problem with investing in a new one...she's been wanting to sell and move out of here-oh,since we moved in ( ),but there was an incident and news today that fueled her fire for doing just that today,so yeah,(one,I feel dumb for not seeing some of those tips myself,and two...) I might be just using this one for this year/till we sell/move,whichever comes to pass.

Sorry,long-winded,that's the trucker part of me talking,LOL! Thanks (bunches!) for the tips
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    My shop is still a work in progress. The wife and I just bought a townhouse and moved in last November. I've been slowly building this small 12x12 section of our basement ever since. I just started building the shelf unit yesterday and ran out of screws. Gotta run to HD after work so I can finish it and the shelf under the bench. Still working on my tool collection also. I am very happy with it so far.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    DUDE!!! Brilliant! It may not all fit/work,but those are some awesome thoughts I hadn't (had)

The truck tires,though,will be there a little longer (until I do enough burnouts to wear the rear pair down and she lets me have em mounted ),as I have no other lockable/safe place for em,but the two Rubbermaid-like tubs are now moved out. I'm not sure the 29"ers would fit on the left wall,it'll be close,but I hadn't thought of that,I'll measure tomorrow,if not,maybe put a bench there,hang the bikes in the back...

I've been researching local "we build on your site" workshop/shed builders these last couple weeks...might be in budget once her car's paid off in a few months,but there's a new problem with investing in a new one...she's been wanting to sell and move out of here-oh,since we moved in ( ),but there was an incident and news today that fueled her fire for doing just that today,so yeah,(one,I feel dumb for not seeing some of those tips myself,and two...) I might be just using this one for this year/till we sell/move,whichever comes to pass.

Sorry,long-winded,that's the trucker part of me talking,LOL! Thanks (bunches!) for the tips

I think my "Build a New Workshop" budget got blown today...picked up another S-truck to play with (I already cruise a lowered '96 S10 extended cab). I was planning to buy it,pull the steel cowl hood,wheels,better drop kit and such from the new one to swap onto my Dime then resell it for about the same moneys (it was a bit under market average),but it turned out much nicer than we'd expected,and the unexpected happened,SHE wants to keep it,LOL!

No new shed,but at least I got a new bike hauler,LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Here's my shop

MTBR says I haven't posted in a while, and since I always do what I'm told...my studio as I like to call it.

...just added the clocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1291.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1290.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1292.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn1408.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet clocks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie144 View Post
    Here is my little corner of the basement....
    Where did you get the bike stand in picture #2 ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steveccnv View Post
    Where did you get the bike stand in picture #2 ?
    That's one of the heavier duty park tool stands with a clamp that would be found in local bike shops across the globe.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=54694

I have the PRS-5 which is a home 'stand' with the pro 'head'

The shop duty clamps are superior to anything else out there.

Monocog Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR View Post
    MTBR says I haven't posted in a while, and since I always do what I'm told...my studio as I like to call it.

...just added the clocks.
    I have a set of those Spinergy wheels for my 1994 Trek 2200. They were/are great wheels. One of these days I'm going to overhaul and detail the bike and take it out for a group ride.

mtbr member
    Updated pic...with my lake out back.

Last edited by RSWMTB; 10-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    This is all I have to work with right now. I take over the living room when I need to do some maintenance or repairs. Hopefully, I'll be able to purchase a small building to put in the back yard in the next couple of years for a more proper work shop.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-uploadfromtaptalk1315960480085.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My "Man Cave"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice shop!!! What type of clock is on your wall? It's sweet!

mtbr member

soon im gonna get pegboard to put on the wall around the window to hangmy tools on and ill also upload some pics with the bike hanging from the ceiling when i get a chance
    Last edited by henry9419; 09-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    I like the tire mirror. Thats a really good idea.
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    — Steve Martin

mtbr member

When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool Shops. The tire mirror came from Ikea.

mtbr member
    Here's my current shop. Just built the workbench and set everything up last month. Still need to make some additions and changes, but I'll do that as I use it and find out what I need. Parents are thinking of re-doing their kitchen counters so I'll be able to use the old ones as a surface for the bench. Also keeping my eyes out for a good bench vise. Tan metal cabinet holds all my spare parts. 4-bike stand needs to be made taller so I can space the bikes out better.

'15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Here's my current shop. Just built the workbench and set everything up last month. Still need to make some additions and changes, but I'll do that as I use it and find out what I need. Parents are thinking of re-doing their kitchen counters so I'll be able to use the old ones as a surface for the bench. Also keeping my eyes out for a good bench vise. Tan metal cabinet holds all my spare parts. 4-bike stand needs to be made taller so I can space the bikes out better.
    Looks pretty good. Thats a good use of the PVC pipe to hang tires. I would def say get the kitchen counter top if its avaliable. You'll def like it better than the press board. Have you ever considered a compressor? They are great for blowing things off, airing up tires, etc. Once you get one, you'll never go back. Have you thought about adding more peg board? Is that a feedback sport truing stand? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Looks pretty good. Thats a good use of the PVC pipe to hang tires. I would def say get the kitchen counter top if its avaliable. You'll def like it better than the press board. Have you ever considered a compressor? They are great for blowing things off, airing up tires, etc. Once you get one, you'll never go back. Have you thought about adding more peg board? Is that a feedback sport truing stand? How do you like it?
    60gal compressor is mounted upstairs to keep the noise away. The air lines are run to the other side of the garage at the moment, but I have a long hose to bring it to the bench when I need it. Should do some hard lines to the bench this winter.
    The pegboard is just scraps left over that I was given for free. I'll add more later. Trying to get a feel for where I want things.
    The stands are Ultimate Supports (now called Feedback) that I got a few years ago. I love the work stand and truing stand. I wouldn't want the truing stand for use in a shop (got spoiled using a Park TS-2) but it is fine for home use. Since it is 1-arm only, you need to tighten down the QR skewer to hold the wheel on. Too tedious if you are doing lots of wheels but it allows better access to the nipples, hub and you just flip wheel to check dish.
    '15 Soma Wolverine '12 Soma Analog SS '10 Transition TransAM '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '89 Fuji Saratoga '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice everyone! I hope to have a space like this someday.

Monocog Masher
    Where did you get the cool custom truing stand knobs? Very cool! Nice shop.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243 View Post

Good luck

OK,to avoid a long detailed & painful story-if you hadn't heard or read in any posts,house burned back in June,had to move (no one was home,thankfully,so no one hurt). Moved in town 1.5 hours from the old place (which is now paid off,ironically). I built a new shed shortly upon moving here (which I will be adding outlets,lights,insulation and better flooring to,BTW). Here's the thing,we now live in the middle of a city block,no longer out in the country where I had acres and acres to choose where to build a shed on...ie:the new shed is a bit smaller than the old due to space constaints (I'm planning to double it's length come Spring,but no more width,as there isn't room for it). I think it's 8x12,so I've lost 2" in width.

I'll try and get pics this week. Lawnmower must also be kept in there...I want to see what your idears are for this one
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    LHT, how tall can you build the extension section of the shed? Probably the best thing I've done in my garage is set up pulley systems for a few bikes in the lofted ceiling. This gets the bikes out of the way, but easily accessible. Also, my wife can still get her DH bike in and out of the ceiling by herself. I've posted up some picks in the garage thread, but I'll stick them up here as well.

Terribly sorry to hear about the house, but glad no one was hurt.

Also, I love my S10 as well, but mine is lifted rather than lowered...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-photo-1-.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-photo-2-.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-photo-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hartwerks - What kind of bench is that in your shop? Very effect use of space in your shop!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Hartwerks-Thanks. Yeah,it coulda been much worse had someone been home (would have been horrible,at least 1 of us-my daughter-could not have gotten out period,the other two that would have been home-wife was at college all day,so the boy and me-most likely wouldn't have). The kids lost nearly everything of theirs (Daughter did),and pretty much everything else was either ruined by smoke,heat,or the fire dept (rafters caught in the ceiling,they had to soak EVERYthing),so yeah,very blessed we were all gone for the day (kids and I were at a state park 2 hours away on the lake-beach).

I hadn't thought of building it taller. We only have that bit of yard total,but I was given the go-ahead to use the rest of it to double shed-space (assuming there's enough tax refund left after the yearly have-to's ),I was figuring the small half for bike\general storage,and the new bigger side for a shop. The hanging of them is good food for thought,and would greatly increase the ability to not have to say no if I see a bike I "just have to have" but not want to loose any I already did

Got some more idears looking at your pics,thanks for posting them,my friend I'll try and get some pics later this week,incase 8x12 doesn't register for some. Currently I have my CX (go-to around town-and thereby most ridden-bike) inside (just to my left where a dining room table would be if we had one),as well as have been setting up the repair stand there when minor work needs done (have been setting up on the porch or back driveway for bigger jobs).
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Hartwerks - What kind of bench is that in your shop? Very effect use of space in your shop!
    Thanks. The bench is a Craftsman. It was a pretty good deal (I think around $300) but would have been a bunch of money to ship, so I ended up driving around two hours away to pick it up at the nearest Sears. Fortunately, the nearest Sears is in Grand Junction, so I rode Fruita that day as well...

Just Ride
    wow! This thread gives me a lot of ideas how to organize my disaster...err...I mean shop!

a neat little weekend project, maybe I can start after a nice ride and raking of leaves
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Monocog Masher

My Bike Work Area

mtbr member
    Wow, Murost! Your shop looks like an operating room for bikes. Do you wear scrubs when you lube your shifter cables. Very clean an organized. VERY nice variety of tools.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Merost, could not help but notice that you have an axle vice but no vice in which to place it

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post
    Cool thread. Here is my cave(as my wife calls it).

I'm digging this space big time.

mtb enthusiast
    Awesome PT collection. Nice arrangement too.

Monocog Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod View Post
    Merost, could not help but notice that you have an axle vice but no vice in which to place it

- Joel
    Yes, you're very observant! Actually I have two axle vises (a stein and a Park), but as you noticed, currently no vise. Long story about the vise, but I will have a replacement soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Heading to the garage now you guys just gave me all the ideas i could possibly need no reason for my garage to be messy hopefully ill be back with pics if i can find my wife's pink camera.
    He who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life. NO BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTBR Member
    Here's my shop setup and some of my rides(and the shop-dog)...always a work in progress and typically not this clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc_0204.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc_0206.jpg  

mtbr member
    I felt inspired by this thread and decided to the garage in order. I have to make the small one car garage work and fit a car in there.

I have about 13" of clearance between the bike and the work surface and 10" of clearance between the crank arm and the pegboard without taking the bike down.

Last edited by dietz31684; 11-07-2011 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    " width="549">

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost View Post

This shop exhibits a serious lack of clutter.

It's very disturbing. Have you sought help?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Loving this thread....question, where do you guys clean and lube your chains and clean off your bikes? Under my workstand is such a mess with dirt chunks brushed off the bike and lube/cleaners dripped. I can haul the workstand outside and set it up there each time, but its really a pain to get it out of the garage and do that with the car and the bike in the way. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Loving this thread....question, where do you guys clean and lube your chains and clean off your bikes? Under my workstand is such a mess with dirt chunks brushed off the bike and lube/cleaners dripped. I can haul the workstand outside and set it up there each time, but its really a pain to get it out of the garage and do that with the car and the bike in the way. Any suggestions?
    If I'm doing something really messy I usually throw down a large 3'x5' piece of cardboard and let all the lube and dirt fall onto it. I can then sweep up the dirt and let the lube dry out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My stand is on a horse stall mat and I use a bucket to catch waste.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast