Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Here is my shop.

-Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    It was dark so I used more white peg board than I needed on the walls to bounce light off of, its evenly bright now (no casting shadows from work lights)

Boy, with all those sweet cannondales in there, it looks like you could use a cannondale light!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img00122.jpg  

mtbr member
    That would look really cool... I may have to hit up Ebay for one

Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad
    Boy, with all those sweet cannondales in there, it looks like you could use a cannondale light!

mtbr member
    It is an original dealer POS display from 1986 and I have the framed packing list and letter signed by their marketing director , Dan Alloway. It deserves a better home than I can give it as I have no Cannondales
    I'll pm you when I list it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just an idea that I did in my shed (referring to your snowblower real estate challenges).... I build a ramp with a 'storage deck/level' on top so that the blower could be rolled/driven up with storage allowed underneath. In my shed for example, I roll the blower up the ramp, pull the ramp and then store the lawnmower and gas cans under it. This might work in your garage to gain some space. Just an idea.

A.

29 some of the time...
    My woodworking bench serves double duty as my stand and also holds the truing stand nicely I have moved it over to the peg board wall now, but don't have a picture of that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_5135.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    My garage does extra duty as general workshop and home brewery complete with cooled fermentation chamber and 4 tap kegerator. And I still manage to fit a car in there once in a while too!

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^^^^^^Oh man, you've created the mecca of a home shop/brewery. If I had fresh beers on tap in my shop I'd never see the light of day. Well done!!!!!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    ^^^^^^^Oh man, you've created the mecca of a home shop/brewery. If I had fresh beers on tap in my shop I'd never see the light of day. Well done!!!!!
    Thanks! Yeah it takes a good amount of self control to make sure my drinking doesn't get in the way of my riding. Or is it the other way around?

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    Nice use of space - way too clean tho. Is that a copper pipe mash paddle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwoods
    Nice use of space - way too clean tho. Is that a copper pipe mash paddle?
    Yep. I made my own mash tun sparge arm and drain manifold out of 1/2" copper pipe. I didn't know how to sweat the copper together, so I had a buddy show me. After that project was complete, I had a few feet and some elbows leftover...thus the copper mash paddle!

http://picasaweb.google.com/benuntu/MashTunUpgrade#

EEB
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here is my work area in the basement....

I moved back in December and the previous owner left an old kitchen cabneit/counter top in the garage so I moved it to the basement. I used the one larger room in the basement to store all my fishing,camping and MTN bike stuff. I still want to add a few things but so far it's a decent work area.

Here is the old large cabneit/counter top. I use it to store new parts, weigh stuff etc. I have another area where all the dirty stuff goes. The area where a dishwasher used to go was the perfect size for my fridge. On the wall I put a small shelf to store cleaners, chain lube, anti seize etc. I got the stereo off of craigslist for $10.00. Gotta have tunes when I work on stuff....

This is another small cabneit/counter top that was in the garage. It was in bad shape but I figured I would put it in the basement and might use it for something. If not I would throw it in the trash. Once I started to organize stuff I thought I would use it for working on dirty items etc. It had paneling on it that was in bad shape. I had some 1/4" MDF so I put a new back and sides on it. It has 2 shelves which I use to store parts after I clean them up. At the moment it has some used parts on the bottom shelf that I took off a friends bike this past winter when he upgraded some stuff on his bike. On the back of it I have a large hook to to hang wheels when I take them off the bike. I also put wheels on the bottom of the cabneit so that I could move it around. Get it closer to the bike so that I can lay tool or parts as I take them off the bike. In the background you can see a bookshelf. I use that to store tires right now and some other stuff.

In this pic you can see the hook on the back where I hang wheels. The area between the small cabneit and the saw horse/green plywood(actually a train set up for my nephew) is where I work on the bikes.(about 7' between the two)(width is 9') I don't have a work stand right now so I just hang the bike from the ceiling. The area has room to hang two bikes. The bike thats getting worked on gets hung right under the shop light in the pic. The other one gets hung to the far left. Their is enough room to walk around both bikes. To hang the bikes I use 2 bike hooks per bike and some straps. Worked great when I tore everything off my friends bike to clean/ upgrade some parts this past winter but will probably get a work stand sometime in the future.

My pegboard is hung to the left of the large cabneit. Right now I don't have a lot of tools. I just got stuff as I needed it. Will be adding some other items in the future. I plan on upgrading some parts on my own bike this winter.

Overall I'm happy with my work area. It get's used the most in the winter to store 2 bikes or to work on them. Right now since I'm riding I keep my bike in the garage. I also keep some cheap allen wrenches, chain lube etc in the garage in case I need to do something quick before a ride....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I tried to make teh most of the space in our storage unit under our condo. Made teh bench from raw lumber with a masonite surface setup flush with the 2x8 frame. Without tools the bench probably weighs around 250lbs. The small toolbox to the left is sitting on a cabinet for extra parts, snowboard tuning stuff, some small power tools, etc.

Now I need to get a real repair stand, in the meantime I used some scrap lumber to throw together a rack that also fits snugly in my pickup:

mtbr member
    I've already posted here but since my garage has significantly changed, i thought id repost.
    Sorry if the pics are a bad size...
    Its a craftsman bench, and tool storage drawers that mounts under the bench. Then there is a floor cabinet and two wall cabinets. Lots of room to do all my repairs. there is also the stereo that can crank the music pretty loud if i need to. All my tools are in the drawers under the bench. For Christmas im looking for a stool and a light for the workbench, and maybe one of those gel mats to cushion my step. Its my favorite room in the house
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dscn0664..jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images        
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Really nice shop! You must have spent some $$$ with all the Craftsman storage cabinets and the table/desk. NICE!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    Lanpope, very impressive bike collection.

I decided to clean up as best I could between service. Not so impressive but it gets the work done. Not shown in photos is a full size tool box for all the wrenches, sockets and random tools.

Is that a homemade truing stand? do you have plans for it? looks rad.

mtbr member
    This is my new shop toy a handle bar doom I custom made that holds your bars while you service your forks and also can hold brake levers, flashlight and shifterpods
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-im000480.jpg  

on a freeride

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    I recently cleaned out the dark, dank basement in my building to create a dark, dank home bike and ski shop. Here she is in all her glory.

What's your home shop like?
    mate, that basement is going to give me nightmares!!!

i'll post some pics of mine when i get it finished.

mtbr member

My .02

Sorry for the low quality pic, darn sun....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Great bike shops everyone! I'm in the process of building a new home with an over-sized 3-car garage. The plan is to use the 3rd bay for bike storage and maintenance area, with vehicles staying in the main 2-car garage area ... Any of you out there with a nice 3rd bay shop??? I'm always looking for ideas on garage organizing.

Hydraulic brake question ... I currently hang my bikes upside down from the ceiling of my garage ... would that cause any problems with hydraulic brakes (air in system, etc)?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    In regards to above brake question:
    Hanging of the bike is only an issue to the brakes if the brakes have air in them to begin with. Hanging the bike will let the potentially travel to a place where it will cause a noticable difference to the brake. Assuming the brake is bled properly and 100% air free, hang away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66
    Hydraulic brake question ... I currently hang my bikes upside down from the ceiling of my garage ... would that cause any problems with hydraulic brakes (air in system, etc)?
    You will have more problems with fork seal seeping than brake issues, especially when the garage is hot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Jeezus, you guys have some nice setups. I'd take a picture of mine but I think you all know what an upside down bike looks like sitting next to a Craftsman toolbox on the floor...

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66
    I used to hang all my bikes upside down (still do road bikes). A couple years ago I hurt my knee bad in the fall and hung my bike upside down for 4 months or so. When I went to get it down, the fox talas had leaked oil out of the tops of both legs and my juicy fives had leaked fluid out of both master cylinders at the rubber seals taking most of the paint off the caps with it. I don't hang any of my mountain bikes upside down anymore. Pics of my shop coming soon.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    I used to hang all my bikes upside down (still do road bikes). A couple years ago I hurt my knee bad in the fall and hung my bike upside down for 4 months or so. When I went to get it down, the fox talas had leaked oil out of the tops of both legs and my juicy fives had leaked fluid out of both master cylinders at the rubber seals taking most of the paint off the caps with it. I don't hang any of my mountain bikes upside down anymore. Pics of my shop coming soon.

Looks like hanging the bike just illuminated problems you had to begin with - think of it as forced maintenance, which probably saved you money and headaches in the long run.

No pics of my "shop." No garage at the new place, so downgraded to the spare bedroom since moving to SF.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast