Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Finally got the shop clean enough to snap a few pictures.

I had to make maximum use of the limited space I had to work with next to the furnace. (warm in the winter and cool in the summer!) The Park Tool Mechanics stands are custom mounted, one on the wall and one on the ceiling/floor joists.

Stainless steel bench top.

This is an absolute KICK-A$$ man cave! I could hide there for days. Does it have a fridge?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Disabled Vet
    VERY nice!!!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Strange question but I'm curious: how deep to you guys make your custom workbenches?

I've read that most are 24" to 36" but that seems extremely deep! I'm building an 8' wide workbench in my basement but was only going to go 18" deep to save myself some floorspace. is 19" too narrow?

Ski N Bike Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Strange question but I'm curious: how deep to you guys make your custom workbenches?

I've read that most are 24" to 36" but that seems extremely deep! I'm building an 8' wide workbench in my basement but was only going to go 18" deep to save myself some floorspace. is 19" too narrow?
    I did mine at 24", but I'm used to 36" from working in shops. I went narrower because I am using the spare bedroom in my apartment. I didn't want too narrow because I work on skis and bikes and still wanted some room for different tool layouts as seasons change.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    This was over a year ago. i have a LOT more tools now, and it is more organized. It's pretty sweet, 1200 sq. feet, hardwood hickory floors, 24x10 storage area, full bathroom. I have a separate area visqueened off for working with solvents, metalwork, welding, and another for carpentry. probably 40 feet of benchtop, and a 4x8 stout workbench in the middle of the space for bigger projects. it now also has about five times as much light, many more flourescent shoplights, and 8 large windows. It's on the 2cnd floor, so i get some great mountain views, and i can look down on a trail and watch folks go by occasionally while I
    work. (It is also my workshop for my business, Welcome to Bicyclart! | bicyclart.com )

The bestest part?
    singletrack right from the door out the back that leads to some of the best trails in WY. Ski right to the door as well from the lifts...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    This is an absolute KICK-A$$ man cave! I could hide there for days. Does it have a fridge?

Thanks.
    Yes, fully stock beer fridge and a fully stocked liquor cabinet just on the other side of the room. (was actually standing in front of them to take the pictures).

I have since added even more of the steel pegboard underneath the two wall cabinets now to hold even more tools... mostly my fork rebuild tools like the bushing puller, bushing drivers, etc.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Much smaller than what most of you have, but it allows me to work on the bikes.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.
    Last edited by pucelano; 01-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This was over a year ago. i have a LOT more tools now, and it is more organized. It's pretty sweet, 1200 sq. feet, hardwood hickory floors, 24x10 storage area, full bathroom. I have a separate area visqueened off for working with solvents, metalwork, welding, and another for carpentry. probably 40 feet of benchtop, and a 4x8 stout workbench in the middle of the space for bigger projects. it now also has about five times as much light, many more flourescent shoplights, and 8 large windows. It's on the 2cnd floor, so i get some great mountain views, and i can look down on a trail and watch folks go by occasionally while I
    work. (It is also my workshop for my business, Welcome to Bicyclart! | bicyclart.com )

The bestest part?
    singletrack right from the door out the back that leads to some of the best trails in WY. Ski right to the door as well from the lifts...
    Damn, your workshop looks bigger than my entire dingy apartment. Really like the orderly look. Mine is sort of being done up this way, much smaller of course and thought it might be a little "too clean" to look like a bikeroom.

Mountains and tracks right out the door! Ok Im not even gonna read anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_rat View Post

Every garage needs a sound system - picked these up on ebay collect only from a remote area of scotland i was passing through later that day - 30 quid each !
    Hey I used to have a Technics home stereo like that! I hate to say how much I spent on the whole system new back in the early 90s. The amp finally burned out back in 2011 and I replaced the whole system with a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Paradigm speakers. But I loved that Technics system, it sounded great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_rat View Post

Every garage needs a sound system - picked these up on ebay collect only from a remote area of scotland i was passing through later that day - 30 quid each !
    Hey I used to have a Technics home stereo like that! I hate to say how much I spent on the whole system new back in the early 90s. The amp finally burned out back in 2011 and I replaced the whole system with a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Paradigm speakers. But I loved that Technics system, it sounded great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Last edited by subarumtbjrk; 01-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    My space is getting an update. Garage was completely un-insulated in the two exterior walls (it's attached) and in the ceiling/roof. The inner and outer doors are well sealed and insulated at least. I have a decent space heater, but it barely keeps it tolerable in the winter. Not to mention it's likely adding more to my overall heating costs in the long run.

Putting in some R30 batts into the spaces, 3/4 hardwood ply on the walls and luan board up on the ceiling. A bit more lighting in as well.

Then I'll be able to get more stuff up on the walls and hanging overhead, freeing up valuable floor real estate. I've got a tablesaw and some other stuff to get setup in order to work on other projects!

The single electric (dual plug at least) is also woefully old and not up to taking the load of everything I'd like it to sometimes. Going to run an updated line in it's place, add a couple more outlets, and line outside - which my house has none of at this point.

Nothing in a 90 year old house is level, plumb, straight, etc.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

bikes, bikes, bikes!
    Apr 2009

My Turn

Small, but sweet. Messy, yet organized.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member

My shop

Not as nice as some of yours but I would say it is ok for a 16 year old. Made the bench and multiple other things in welding.The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_20121108_191521.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The main storage room with room for 16bikes.

The parts "Library"

The super messy work place, getting better by the minute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle10bike View Post

Photobucket
    Nice!
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    I like it...... looks like a functional space with much potential
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"

mtbr member
    Here's mine... Been lurking around this thread for awhile. Lots of great stuff but in the end have to move in different direction to most folks here. Most pics here show somebody's baement/ garage that is half or bigger than my entire treehouse (yea it sucks to be living in a place that has >7000 people/ sq km, everything is just small and crammed)...

So this is not the usual tools-on-the-wall setup. For practical purposes living in an apartment with year round humid tropical weather.. exposed tools = rust in no time. I have another wet/greasy area outside the front door for all the "dirty work" and had to come up with a lot of "creative" storage ideas that blends in well with the rest of the place.

Not finished... just what I got it up to last weekend
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-20130227_190138.jpg

Small bits/ lubes, riding related stuffs (lights/ camera), Main tool box and component spares...
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-20121209_190921.jpg

2 little wooden boxes holding the most oft used tools for quick fixes without need to break out the bigger tool boxes all the time.
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-533116_10151460231932173_853283804_n.jpg

My Zen room right next to the bikeroom was supposed to be the general storage area but naturally half of it is filled with bike related stuff
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-plat-storage.jpg

Taking the hidden concept further... I just hacked up some old furnitures to create more storage space out of thin air for my frames/ forks etc.
    More pics here
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-20130105_155607.jpg

This was how I had to lived with my bikes in the past
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-418477_10150675297687173_486706421_n.jpg
    Last edited by anvil_den; 03-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    EXCELLENT organizing skills on your part! Makes me feel bad as I've been in my new house for over a year and still haven't properly set up my garage. I keep staring at the walls trying to figure out what I want to do ... but just spinning in circles so far!

So when could you drop by to give me help with my garage??

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Here's mine... Been lurking around this thread for awhile. Lots of great stuff but in the end have to move in different direction to most folks here. Most pics here show somebody's baement/ garage that is half or bigger than my entire treehouse (yea it sucks to be living in a place that has >7000 people/ sq km, everything is just small and crammed)...

So this is not the usual tools-on-the-wall setup. For practical purposes living in an apartment with year round humid tropical weather.. exposed tools = rust in no time. I have another wet/greasy area outside the front door for all the "dirty work" and had to come up with a lot of "creative" storage ideas that blends in well with the rest of the place.

Not finished... just what I got it up to last weekend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130227_190138.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	777716

Small bits/ lubes, riding related stuffs (lights/ camera), Main tool box and component spares...

Name:	20121209_190921.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	777717

2 little wooden boxes holding the most oft used tools for quick fixes without need to break out the bigger tool boxes all the time.

Name:	533116_10151460231932173_853283804_n.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	777718

My Zen room right next to the bikeroom was supposed to be the general storage area but naturally half of it is filled with bike related stuff

Name:	Plat-storage.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	777719

Taking the hidden concept further... I just hacked up some old furnitures to create more storage space out of thin air for my frames/ forks etc.
    More pics here

Name:	20130105_155607.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	777720

This was how I had to lived with my bikes in the past

Name:	418477_10150675297687173_486706421_n.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	777721

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Slowly working on getting my shop organized. I've got roughly a 10'x24' space for the bikes and bigger tools. The over all garage is 24'x40' but also use it to keep our vehicles in as well.

Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    EXCELLENT organizing skills on your part! Makes me feel bad as I've been in my new house for over a year and still haven't properly set up my garage. I keep staring at the walls trying to figure out what I want to do ... but just spinning in circles so far!

So when could you drop by to give me help with my garage??
    Thx. I know the feeling. Took me a few months to get away from couching around in the comfort of a new place before tackling the bike room... Procrastination is best countered with a disgruntled spouse.

Just need an air ticket. If it ain't winter a safari bed in your garage and place to put up my bike will suffice. I'm adaptable

Wanderer
    Heres an updated pic of mine. It doesn't look busy but I keep most of the bike and camping stuff in a closet that is behind me. Left side is normal tool and bike stuff and right side is mainly RC car stuff. Just added the magnetic tool strips yesterday on the peg board. Totally awesome for small stuff.

Bikes stay in the living room next to the door.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workroom.jpg

mtbr member

An update to last years post

I had to do a little adjusting to my shop this spring since I gained a lot of tools over the last year as well as the legs to my bench were used elsewhere. so this is what I came up with to replace it. I looked around a lot to find something that I didn't have to build but I realized that what was in my head is what I really wanted and it was cheaper to build it and get exactly what I wanted. I must say that I am really happy with the result. just have to add two sliding drawers to the top of the cabinets and it will be exactly what I envisioned.

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-8618681367_e9f41ef8fc_z.jpg

And here is the first project in the updated shop

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-8618682347_f403c40d90_z.jpg
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member

Re: The "What's your shop look like?" thread

My little shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I live in an apartment so my second bedroom is my workshop.
     photo DSCN0275_zps9f99a1a9.jpg
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast