Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    I just moved in. Previous owner was kind enough to add these tables and pegboards with task lighting in the garage. Can't wait to get my shop going!
    Did they throw in the Wilton vise too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Did they throw in the Wilton vise too?
    Ha! No I brought that with me. That thing is so heavy I really don't even need to bolt it down...

The shop got a little use last night, I stripped all the parts off the Dos Niner in the picture above. The frame cracked, so I need to replace it...

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post

The shop got a little use last night, I stripped all the parts off the Dos Niner in the picture above. The frame cracked, so I need to replace it...
    Cackalacky, where did your salsa crack? Any plans for the busted frame?

Nice shop space BTW..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Cackalacky, where did your salsa crack? Any plans for the busted frame?

Nice shop space BTW..

Plum
    Thanks! I'm so happy to have it. My Salsa cracked at the weld between the rear stay and dropout, on the disc brake side. I don't want to clutter up this thread with those pics, but I posted about it here: Another Dos bites the dust... (Dos Niner frame crack)

No plans except to hang it up on my wall. I may try to sell the Relish shock and the Chris King headset, but everything else is going on a new Kona Unit...

mtbr member
    A few more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc00221.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc00222.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-dsc00223.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

mtbr member
    Just added the pegboard this past weekend. Now, to build a respectable work bench. Wish me luck as I'm not a woodworker.

Last edited by ZmyDust; 10-02-2012 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Just added the pegboard this past weekend. Now, to build a respectable work bench. Wish me luck as I'm not a woodworker.
    You can find some really great plans online and modify them to suit the dimensions you're working with. Just remember, measure twice (or 5 times) and cut once!

Linoleum Knife
    I started out with this

But that, became this:

So this

Turned into this

And then I spent my summer doing this

To build this

with this

And these

turned into this

Assembled making this...

Haven't fully organized all my stuff in there yet. I wish I had found this thread sooner, or I would have added in some of that awesome pegboard. Great ideas in this thread!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    VERY nice Forkboy! What did you use for the rear wheel trays on the wall?

I built a new house last year and have my first 3 car garage. Third bay will eventually be my "bike shop" area and I'm still debating how I want to hang bikes on the wall. I have my work bench built, and have a nice bike stand for use when working on bikes, but as far as storing bikes, the ceiling is 12' so too tall to hang ... hooks will have to mounted on wall as well as rear wheel trays so drywall not abused. I prefer hanging bikes vertically so I can squeeze more bikes in a given space.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    What did you use for the rear wheel trays on the wall?
    Thanks! It was definitely one of my more fun projects. The finishing (cabinets especially) was a little tedious, but everything else went really fast.

Yep - I worried about the drywall too - 'specially after I painted the wall.

I was just going to use the board mounted to the wall, but not all my bikes have the same wheelbase (road vs 29er). I was digging around in my pile 'o crap in the basement and found 4 broken Thule bike trays I had pulled out of somebody's garbage and chopped them into 2' sections. Just screwed in with self-tapping metal screws.

I'm jealous of your garage - maybe next year or the year after I will build my auto / carpentry shop
    Last edited by forkboy; 10-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice job fork boy. I just repped u!
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Good stuff Forkboy!

I have a VERY small area, but a decent enough selection of tools to perform all of my own work.

mtbr member
    Some very sweet setups here. I don't even know how to really work on my bike but all these pics make me want to learn!
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here is mine, '96 vintage Park PCS-1 stand with a much later model extension kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    You can find some really great plans online and modify them to suit the dimensions you're working with. Just remember, measure twice (or 5 times) and cut once!
    Thanks, good advice! I know this may not seem like much to the woodworking types, but I completed my first woodworking project! This is one heckuva sturdy bench. Did it all with a few hours, a jig saw (gasp!), and about $120. Plan to add a shallow drawer and more wood working tools to it for future projects!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Thanks, good advice! I know this may not seem like much to the woodworking types, but I completed my first woodworking project! This is one heckuva sturdy bench. Did it all with a few hours, a jig saw (gasp!), and about $120. Plan to add a shallow drawer and more wood working tools to it for future projects!
    Nice looking bench and nice work with the jig saw! But don't you know that every woodworking project is an excuse to buy more tools? ie. circ saw and builders triangle...

Disabled Vet
    I been off here a while,this is still one of my favorite threads,nice shops everyone! Giving m some brilliant idears for my own...which is in serious need of organization (and insulation,since winters coming on fast,LOL!)

Pics from the day it was delivered a few months ago...

It's a bit fuller now,this pic is from last month,LOL,have't shot any in a while,MOST of the junk on the right side is gone (sold,donated or trashed)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

My shop

I finally have a set-up I really like, though I'll have to move away in 2 years, and I doubt I'll be able to build a shop like this one. I got the big metal green cabinets from a surplus auction ($70 each), and they give the place a clean look. One workbench was here when I moved in, and the other I built from an old counter top.

Disabled Vet
    You have myshop envy,sir
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    after 3 years of bobbing about in rentals i finally saved up enough to buy a modest house with a garage - luck would have it i found a house with 2 garages in my budget (note not a double ... just 2 garages - one a single the other a 1.5 length job)

Looked like that when i moved in. - chaos , and the condemned central heating boiler in the corner.

is how it looks now.

Will be ordering up some steel before xmas to weld my self up a new bench and have been watching for a beefy record vice to stick in as that piece of crap on the bench that the last guy left behind isnt work squat.

Every garage needs a sound system - picked these up on ebay collect only from a remote area of scotland i was passing through later that day - 30 quid each !

Just need to take the old central heating system out of the back garage and take it to the scrap merchant - trade it in for an engine hoist.

stick all my bikes in the back storage garage - which is more secure than this one Plus its well away from my grinders and cutting tools..

then i can get on with my V8 heart transplant in my workshop :d

got proper shop envy over some of these immaculate photos on here , very nice - im just happy not to have to worry about getting oil on the white walls that landlords insist using.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here is a bad picture of mine.

Off to the left is my 1979 jeep wagoneer with a bent frame thats awaiting a doner body and frame, the welder, table saw and 12 drawer tool chest are on the other side of the jeep. There are also the wakeboards mounted up on the wall,and random hunting targets and decoys stuffed off in the corner

mtbr member
    wvucyclist, f the shop, repped just for having an awsome bike rack.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here's my shop.
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0202.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0204.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0198.jpg
    I made the bench years ago a professional semi-portable repair shop that I owned. The unit rolls on industrial casters or can be disassembled into 6 manageable pieces in minutes. Note the attached truing stand and spoke cutter/threader on the ends of the bench, speakers in the cabinet (lower corners) and subwoofer below the file boxes. Ipod plugs in next to the file boxes. It rocks AND rolls.
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0200.jpg
    The "What's your shop look like?" thread-img_0205.jpg
    The upper cabinet closes/locks in seconds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ~I love that peg board cabinet

thats about the only think that could get me away from my roller cab towards a shadow board.

I regularly take my tools to races and currently all i have to do is pick up the black top section of my rollcab and throw it in the van - i know then i have every tool i need to work on my bike.

the bottom section of my roll cab has generic tools like spanners ,screw drivers , spring compressors , bearing pullers etc etc - no need to take with me.

If i stuck my bike tools on a cool shadow board in my workshop like i had at the shops ive worked in id have to pull them all off the wall to load up the van and put them back on sunday night. Not great but no doubting its the easiest way to work with the tools !

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast