Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Axles of Evil

Quite a transformation

Quote Originally Posted by mattchuck2 View Post
    Decided to make myself a bike workshop using one of the spare rooms in the basement.
    Looks good. Like the rubber floor.

mtbr member
    Told my wife that the next house will have a space indoors for bike storage/workspace... Currently all the bike stuff is in the garage, but having a couple of car hobbies as well takes up 95% of that space...

mtbr member

Almost finished

I finally got my Park Tool bench mounted repair stand, it was on backorder for a couple months. All the drawers are installed and are for the most part straight. Beer fridge stocked with supplies. All that is left to do is paint the bench Park Tool blue, buy some more of those foam tiles and get a mop and bucket for clean ups.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smac View Post

I finally got my Park Tool bench mounted repair stand, it was on backorder for a couple months. All the drawers are installed and are for the most part straight. Beer fridge stocked with supplies. All that is left to do is paint the bench Park Tool blue, buy some more of those foam tiles and get a mop and bucket for clean ups.
    Nice!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Finally got the shop clean enough to snap a few pictures.

I had to make maximum use of the limited space I had to work with next to the furnace. (warm in the winter and cool in the summer!) The Park Tool Mechanics stands are custom mounted, one on the wall and one on the ceiling/floor joists.

Stainless steel bench top.

Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 08-23-2012 at 08:30 AM.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Ok, gotta say, this is one of my favorites so far. Nicely done!
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"

mtbr member
    Not nearly as nice as some of the shops people have here, great work all... - but here's my spare bedroom shop for the time being, still need to get that road bike back together...

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Great use of space! Please post some pix of the ceiling/joist mounting!

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post

I had to make maximum use of the limited space I had to work with next to the furnace. (warm in the winter and cool in the summer!) The Park Tool Mechanics stands are custom mounted, one on the wall and one on the ceiling/floor joists.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Great use of space! Please post some pix of the ceiling/joist mounting!
    Here you go.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow! Now that's a mancave!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome...love that work stand. Do you know if it comes with a mounting plate to mount on a flat ceiling?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm jelly. I don't have a shop yet. I move in to my new place next week, has a full basement. The boss (wife) says I can have a corner. Pics to come. BTW, nice shops guys, great inspiration.
    Cheers

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Awesome...love that work stand. Do you know if it comes with a mounting plate to mount on a flat ceiling?
    The Mechanics rack is the standard Park Tool PRS-4W that is meant to wall mount. The vertical support post is NOT Park Tool but is a custom fabricated piece made from square tubing and steel plate (actually hollow structural steel - HSS). The sizing was made to fit the application. The Park Tool decal was custom made to give it that finished off look. I added on a small piece of round tubing of the correct diameter to allow me to mount the quick release Park Tool tool tray. The stand and tray work amazing well and allow access to both side of the bike you're working on.

For a ceiling mount it would be simple, just mount the plate in a different location. I'll take some pics of my LBS mechanics racks that have the same PRS-4W's mounted from their ceiling the way and post them up here.
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 08-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Hunter S. Thompson

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Here you go.

Thanks... nice job!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    You can probably just use the standard floor base post upside down... (the post has a small welded plate that bolts to the heavy floor base plate.)

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    You can probably just use the standard floor base post upside down... (the post has a small welded plate that bolts to the heavy floor base plate.)
    Might not be the correct length though.
    I'm pretty sure the Park Tool floor mounts are a fixed height without any adjustments.
    Ceiling heights vary and my guess is that's the reason Park doesn't sell anything like this.

Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Thanks... nice job!

Thanks

Hunter S. Thompson

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Might not be the correct length though.
    I'm pretty sure the Park Tool floor mounts are a fixed height without any adjustments.
    Ceiling heights vary and my guess is that's the reason Park doesn't sell anything like this.

The clamp arm attaches to the post with a single bolt hole... should be easy enough to drill a hole if it's too long. If it's two short, ...well, that's more complex.

mtbr member
    The Mechanics rack is the standard Park Tool PRS-4W that is meant to wall mount. The vertical support post is NOT Park Tool but is a custom fabricated piece made from square tubing and steel plate (actually hollow structural steel - HSS). The sizing was made to fit the application. The Park Tool decal was custom made to give it that finished off look. I added on a small piece of round tubing of the correct diameter to allow me to mount the quick release Park Tool tool tray. The stand and tray work amazing well and allow access to both side of the bike you're working on.

For a ceiling mount it would be simple, just mount the plate in a different location. I'll take some pics of my LBS mechanics racks that have the same PRS-4W's mounted from their ceiling the way and post them up here.
    Awesome.

If I had welding skills I'd build something similar, but inverted so it could mount to my trailer hitch receiver.

mtbr member
    100_1369
    100_1370
    100_1365

It's a work in progress- I built all of the cabinetry/workbench area. It's 2" angle iron frame topped with wood. As for bike tools, I keep the majority in a portable tool box. That way I have them on race day if I need them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518 View Post
    Had two garages prior in two other houses. This one I planned to build based on needs/wants and previous garages. Took a lot of time planning, drawing, thinking and asking others. Had a contractor build the "shell", a friend and I wired it, my wife and I insulated all of it; (garage door is insulated too) and my friend and I paneled it. There are 13 outlets, three airlines, a drill press, two wheel grinder, air tools, bike tools, workbenches, a sink with a small hot water heater to wash up in, etc. We installed an evaprative cooler for the summer and my two little space heaters do keep the garage warm in winter. I had worked very hard to save the $$ for it because it was to be my LAST garage. I'm not moving ever again.
    I had carpet on the floor to keep it warm in summer and easy on the feet and when I need to crawl under a car. Both our cars fit inside with room to work on my bikes or fix any other item. We have a 20 X 40 shed where the "extras" are stored, including a Safety-Kleen parts washer i got at a garage sale years ago.
    Due to age and body conditions I race a bit less and welcome anyone willing to learn to work on their bikes so they learn how to do it. It's my small way to "give back " to the sport.
    My wife said she didn't care what i put up on the walls so I have all the "ME" walls aI want! Old motorcycle racing trophies, mountain-biking race posters, odds and ends, old pictures, etc etc, LOVE IT!!
    Love your garage.....I wish you lived in Southern Cali......Would love to have a bike mechanic mentor....

mtbr member
    Maybe not clean like some of yours but hey.. I know where things are (most the time).. Worse thing in the world is being halfway through a repair and setting down that one essential tool (lockring tool in my case a week ago), and not being able to find the dang thing for 15 mins! Set it down in one of the many nooks/crannies.

Red October

Dude I love your work space. Very nicely done.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me flickr

mtbr member

Here's my blank slate

I just moved in. Previous owner was kind enough to add these tables and pegboards with task lighting in the garage. Can't wait to get my shop going!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop1.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop2.jpg  

The "What's your shop look like?" thread-workshop3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    I just moved in. Previous owner was kind enough to add these tables and pegboards with task lighting in the garage. Can't wait to get my shop going!
    Very nice! That area gives you a ton of options. Tough part will be deciding which way to go first.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast