mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What trail building tools do you carry?

Trying to get an idea of trail building toold i could bring with me when i spot spots within the trail that needs a bit of work. Right now i just bring repair tools for the bike and a camping knife. Its heavy enough to use as a machete but i plan to get a folding saw soon and start carrying that. I have a buddy who used the rear brake bosses on his karate monkey to mount a sheathe machete. He made a metal braket the mounts the hard sheath. Its pretty badass!

What tools for trail work do you guys bring with you?

I had an idea to buy a military folding shovel and attach a double sided (rake/hoe) rogue hoe head to it. I later discovered the "Trail Boss" But $200 for the initial kit and $45 for additional heads is straight ridiculous! I still plan to tray the folding shoverl/ rogue hoe head combo after christmas.

mtbr member
    I recently got a Sven Saw that fits nicely in/on my camebak. It folds down nice but when together has more useability than a folding say imo. I made a sheath out of an old tube to keep it protected. For around $30 it is a great tool that will also be on all future backpacking/camping trips.

cyberbully
    i find that taking in more than pruners and a saw is a waste (i used to strap a chainsaw to my backpack this is before dakine made their builders pack)...but if theres more work than that to do, i figure its easier to grab some friends, load up all the heavier tools, weedwacker, chainsaw, shovels hoes pulaskis etc and make a day of it.

a guy around here used to trek in with a portaging barrel with all his tools in it, he's on mtbr, but probably just lurks these days...not riding a bike of course...pretty epic, he had everything in there, even a hand winch to move trees with.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Hamilton View Post
    I recently got a Sven Saw that fits nicely in/on my camebak. It folds down nice but when together has more useability than a folding say imo. I made a sheath out of an old tube to keep it protected. For around $30 it is a great tool that will also be on all future backpacking/camping trips.
    After I saw this I mentioned I wanted one and my roommate surprised me with it as a late Christmas gift! Sucker is badass! Just went out back and cut logs for firewood for no reason. Thanks for that awesome gem! Can't wait to take it to trail work. Gonna have to look into making a over the shoulder sling for it using your tube sheath idea.