mtbr member

What tools to bring for a weeklong bike trip

I've been going to Moab for years... but with a Jeep. I'm used to lugging along anything and everything to make trail fixes. Spare axle shafts, drive shafts, air tools, welder, hammers...

Short of packing up every bike tool I own, what all do you pack with you to keep at your home base? We're planning on renting a house so I'm not worried about keeping everything safe.

Right now I'm planning on bringing the following:
    Bottle opener, Repair Stand, Hex Wrench Set, Hex 3-way, Bottom Bracket tools, Crank Puller, Open End Wrenches, Chainring Nut Wrench, Chain Tool, Cassette Lockring Tool, Pedal Wrench, Cone Wrenches, Screwdrivers, Chain Whip, 3-way Spoke Wrench,Tire Levers, and misc grease/lubes/etc.

It sounds like a lot but it all fits into a relatively small toolbox (less the stand).

Anything else you would bring or am I overthinking this?
    I'm hungry

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

What tools to bring for a weeklong bike trip

Sounds good.

Also bring a spare wheelset and tires, and small parts.

I chased a new FH body for two days on a road trip. Always bring wheels now, if I am gone longer than a day or two.

Moab can chew up tires. Bring what you have so you do not have to buy new ones.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If your bike is in good repair to begin with, your list sounds good. It's also good if you have a torque wrench and associated bits, and, like Shiggy said, if you have a spare wheel or wheelset and some spare tires, you'll be well served. Don't forget to have fun, too!
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cable cutter and cables.

I found that the old thumb shifters wore down my thumb , so I bought an SRAM twist grip changer. I was touring in Nepal (the country in Asia that is home to mount everest) when I found that my sweaty hands didn't have enough grip to change gears. Restringing the rear der cable helped and I finally had to wrap a tie down strap around the grip to get enough leverage and grip.

My Leatherman had a cable cutter near the joint. I don't know if my cheaper gerber does. I have two, but neither is handy. I've already looked and could probably find one if I crawled on the floor long enough. No wonder I never get anything done.