• 02-02-2013
    customfab
    What are some of your favorite tools?
    I'm curious what kind of tools you guys use from non bike companies. Things like screw drivers, diagonal cutters (aka dykes), adjustable wrenches and the like. I've got a hard sided travel case that has a pretty complete set of tools, but there are very few tools from bike companies in it. Pretty much the stuff that is truly bike specific; BB socket, chain tool, lock ring tool, chain whip and so on.
  • 02-02-2013
    crux
    Quote:

Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I'm curious what kind of tools you guys use from non bike companies.

- Benchmade knife have been a good multipurpose tool. (Only used it on the bike once making a boot out of old trash on the side of the trail repairing a tire.
    - GB mini hatchet perfect tool for around camp.
    - Old British inclometer measuring angles very accurately for a bike frame, vehicle drivelines or what ever else needs a little precision.
    - Old Snow Peak gas lantern. (self explanatory for around camp)
    - Sherline Mill & lathe making parts & tools as needed
  • 02-02-2013
    authalic
    I just got a set of Bondhus hex and Torx wrenches. I got the sets of longer loose keys. It seems like every job on a bike involves torquing some size of hex or star bolt. It's so much easier to work with the individual wrenches than the foldup sets. They have a grippy matte finish, and they're made in the USA. I also have an older set of Craftsman torx drivers, with the screwdriver handles. I'm not sure if they are still available, but that T25 torx driver saved a lot of time when I was swapping out my brake rotors last month.
  • 02-02-2013
    patineto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I just got a set of Bondhus hex and Torx wrenches.

Plus One, I always carry them with me even when I'm not biking, specially the Hex set
  • 02-02-2013
    Hooligan63049
    I cary a leatherman supertool200 everywhere I go. I am an industrial mechanic, I have a pretty full kit of snap on tools. For bike rides I bring along 1/5 and 3/8 torque wrenches and sockets for every bolt on the bike. And 6 and 8 inch adjustable wrenches.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk
  • 02-03-2013
    Glenrexellyn
    1 Attachment(s)
    I use Craftsman Metric T-Through Handle Ball End Hex Key wrenches. The ones with the ball end on the long side and the standard end on the handle. I keep the 4,5,6 on the tool tray, I like them better than using a triple wrench.
  • 02-03-2013
    reptilezs
    knipex pliers wrench in 7in and 10in. 1/4 dr roto ratchet(mine is gearwrench brand but other people make them. harbor freight if u want cheapo to try it) and a 5mm bit from snap on. i am not too picky on screwdrivers just need good tips, mine are craftsman pro for ease of warranty. usually replace #2 once a yr
  • 02-03-2013
    bikeabuser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I'm curious what kind of tools you guys use from non bike companies.

The only bike company tools I own............
    A chain breaker, and a bottom bracket spanner wrench that doesn't work on any new stuff.

Everything else is a hodgepodge from various tool manufacturers, that don't feed on people who think everything must come from a bike shop :devil:
  • 02-04-2013
    Gritter
    *oopspost*
  • 02-04-2013
    Scimitar
    My favorite non-bike specific tools are:

Pipe cutter - for trimming down steerer tubes, handlebars, and seatposts
    Electrical tape - for wrapping brake and shifter lines together for a clean look
    Fabric measuring tape - for measuring various things and cockpit setup
    Round file - debur things after cutting
  • 02-04-2013
    minh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Pipe cutter - for trimming down steerer tubes, handlebars, and seatposts

I used to use a nice Ridgid pipe cutter for steerer tubes but I've moved away from that (just a hacksaw and the park cutting guide). The pipe cutter always seemed to slightly deform the very end of tube so that it was hard to get things to slide onto the tube (stems, etc).
  • 02-04-2013
    Cerberus044
    Quote:

Originally Posted by minh View Post
    I used to use a nice Ridgid pipe cutter for steerer tubes but I've moved away from that (just a hacksaw and the park cutting guide). The pipe cutter always seemed to slightly deform the very end of tube so that it was hard to get things to slide onto the tube (stems, etc).

They usually roll a little bead of metal at the cut line preventing good fit at first. 10 seconds with some high grit sandpaper takes that right off. Just hated the idea of buying a cutting guide that I'll really only ever use for bike stuff.
  • 02-04-2013
    rePhil
    Another vote for Wiha T handle Torx and Allens.
  • 02-04-2013
    goodmojo
    torx socket set
    table mounted vise
    petzl headset for seeing where I need to see
    hanging halogen lamp with a clamp
    bead board for holding all tools to make them easily accessible
    costco olympia tools organizer for holding extra screws and bolts. (Costco Deal: Olympia Tools 3-Drawer 500 Piece Hardware Organizer $38.99 | Frugal Hotspot)
  • 02-05-2013
    customfab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by minh View Post

I'm so glad I've got a horizontal band saw to cut steer tubes with. That's not why I bought it but man is it handy.
  • 02-06-2013
    Gp.plus
    I love my swivel reamer for cleaning up cut steerer tubes(inside), or any tubes for that matter. I originally bought it for cleaning up exhaust pipe, there's nothing better than finding other uses for tools. (especially when it's bike related)
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/07/ymu5utu3.jpg
  • 02-06-2013
    JChasse
    Felco cable cutters. Best I've ever used.
  • 02-06-2013
    jbent
    I have many tools from various mfg's but the ones that have always seem to save day are the medical ones...
    dental picks-clean stuff-an assortment on angles
    forceps-retrieve things-an assortment of lengths and tips
    stethoscope-pin point that creak and knock