mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What kind of headset do I need?

First time buying a headset. Frame is non tapered 1 1/8".

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Generic answer would be no threads (threadless) 1 1/8 headset set from Cane Creek or Chris King...depends on your budget...but why not just ask the bike manufacturer to make sure? If you carbon fork...then you will need a compression nut instead of a star nut.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just went through this. Got a headset on the way but not sure it's the right one or not.
    Looks like an integrated headset. Best thing is to go to the Cane Creek website - they have a headset finder and lots of info.
    If it's not in their database then you will need to do some measurements. If the OD of the tube is 45mm and ID is 41mm then it's IS41. If the OD of the tube is 46mm and ID is 42mm then it's IS42.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    both my top and bottom headtube look like that.,

I measured the inside diameter and it's comes out to 43.84m for both. 44mm is not an option on cane creeks' headset finder. would it be semi integrated headset?

something like this?
    FSA Orbit Z 1 1 8" 44mm Semi Integrated Headset Threadless w Top Cap Black | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take this with a grain of salt since I'm working with integrated headsets for the first time but I've been looking into this for my frame.
    A semi-integrated headset still uses a press in bearing cup. Spec shows there should be a 15mm deep spot for the cup to press into. You don't have that much room going by the picture.
    I'd guess from your measurements that you need an Italian or Campy integrated headset. Also known as IS42. It uses a 42mm bearing. It will be a drop in fit but it should still locate on the 45 degree shoulder when tightened. That's what I've got ordered for mine - I've got the same problem, my headtube measures 43.95 with the top inset 5.90mm. Too big and too deep. Inset should be 3.2mm.

What kind of frame is this for?
    Check the Cane Creek site for PDFs "headset-tech-specs-rev-e" and "headset-identification-and-specification-guide".
    There is a 44mm integrated headset called ICBM. It was used by Shwinn around 2000 and has been totally obsolete since 2004. So I doubt that's what we have.

mtbr member
    It looks to me that there is already cups in that frame? Is the frame blue and the cup is black? Is it an aluminium frame or is it a carbon frame? I would guess that it is just a standard 1 1/8" threadless headset so you would have a ton of options.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    chiense carbon frame on ebay. it has v brake tabs so i wouldnt' be surprise if it was a pretty old design. so do you think the fsas i linked above would work. Let me take some better pics.

here you go with some additional measurements.

cups are metal with black paint on them.
    those numbers are 43.84mm, 35.05mm, and 8mm.

here's the fork

top stem 1-1/8 = 28.575 . crown race 28.66mm
    Last edited by bob13bob; 03-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    That may be the one but I am not sure without removing the old cups first and measuring the actual head tube ID

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Those "cups" are bonded into the frame and are not meant to be removed looks like a 2003-4 era zero stack headset which has evolved into the ZS44 standard (where manufactures now use a 44 ID headtube without the angled ledge)

This is the whole reason for the creation of the SHIS. Due to the fact there was far too much confusion with different brands offering very similar headsets/headtubes, but made with different dimensions or tolerances.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So, the seller of the frame got back to me and said these fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
    ViewItem&item=321255494700&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

They fit in to the frame but were only about 6mm deep instead of the 8mm measured. I installed it with a hammer + wood block, same with the included crown race on the fork.