Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What indoor racking do you use to stable your horses??

53K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Andy FitzGibbon 
#1 ·
I know some cobble together 2x4s, some lean them against the walls or hang them from the ceiling on hooks, pulleys, etc. The design of the PVC rack at UtahMountainbiking is creative :thumbsup: but I would like to hear any other ideas out there. I am curious as to what you guys do to support multiple bikes in their upright position indoors? Have you welded racks? attached 2x4 or 2x6 creations to the wall studs, fork mounts to the floor?

I welded EMT and copper to angle brackets to make custom fork mounts. I screwed them to a 2x6 and it worked well.

I would be interested to know and see some photos if anyone is game? If this is too lame, you can take this off forum and PM me. I have searched, and searched, and..... Sorry if I missed a thread. If so, please direct me to it....

Thanks and let's hear about your stabling ideas.

A.

#4 ·
I did the hooks in the wall thing for years, even had bikes hanging upside down from the ceiling once when I had a 10 foot ceiling apartment. Then I bought myself one of these Swagman Hang It Bike Racks, no more holes...I can move them when I need to...even works with a stipple ceiling if you pad the top with a towel. I plan on buying another since this is the best solution I have found to date, I was going to buy one of those ceiling mount pulley rope thingies but this beats em hands down.

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692829&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442620856

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Hang-It-Bike-Hanger/dp/B000GTNIQI

Truly a great product, I have my Trek Session 88DH and Titus Loco Moto hanging from it in my office and it could easily take more weight if needed. I could not find anything as useful or as sturdy for $70 ($37.42 USD from Amazon). The tube ratchets for adjusting length and then the tube rotates to tighten against the ceiling, simple!

#5 ·
This is my garage on an organized day.

I used 2" EMT conduit to make a "closet rod" spanning the garage door track, and bent 1/4" steel rod into hangers that can slide around as needed. Kind of like a tie rack for bikes.

The two small K2 kids bikes are supported in a bike rack I knocked together with 1x3 pine.

The really cool bikes (mine, of course) are hanging from an Ultimate (now Feedback Sports) 4-bike stand.

Everything else ends up on the floor or stuffed up out of reach until I get it down for the kids (and then it's on the floor again).

Attachments

#6 ·
Does anyone else have anything built out of wood or welded steel that sits in the basement to serve as a rack? I saw a rack once built into a wall, tied to the studs with a 'shelf' on top for gear. Very creative and great for space savings but now I can't recall where I ever saw it.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all. 2010 will be the best yet - I promise.

A.

#7 ·
for what it is worth...I thought of building my own rack but once i started adding up the costs i quickly found out that it was not worth it to build one and purchased something. Unless you are going to do the 'closet' rack as shown in some of the above pictures I would really be surprised if you can get away less then or equal to what you can buy (of course this is assuming that you are not a welder or woodworker by trade and have all the materials laying around as scrap).

#8 ·
neex said:
Does anyone else have anything built out of wood or welded steel that sits in the basement to serve as a rack? I saw a rack once built into a wall, tied to the studs with a 'shelf' on top for gear. Very creative and great for space savings but now I can't recall where I ever saw it.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all. 2010 will be the best yet - I promise.

A.
No pics, but a friend of mine made something similar to what you are describing. He mounted a shelf about 2' deep, mounted around 6+' high along one garage wall. He hangs bikes (perpendicular to the wall) from regular hooks underneath the shelf and has storage space above them. Not a difficult project, just plywood and 2x4's.

#22 ·
Ok. Here is the cat's meow and it could be designed to 'lock' for security also. You could really even cut a recess into you ceiling and colour match the bottom so it virtually disappears. Anyway, maybe I'm the only one seeing potential with this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wefromo

Thoughts?? Anyone want to try to build this? Obviously not to patent it or steal this guy's idea but just to make it workable? I guess it's a gear reduction box or unpowered motor being driven and a few bushings. You could weld this up with bed frames I would think. Wow. I love this concept!

A.

#23 ·
neex said:
Ok. Here is the cat's meow and it could be designed to 'lock' for security also. You could really even cut a recess into you ceiling and colour match the bottom so it virtually disappears. Anyway, maybe I'm the only one seeing potential with this.

Thoughts?? Anyone want to try to build this? Obviously not to patent it or steal this guy's idea but just to make it workable? I guess it's a gear reduction box or unpowered motor being driven and a few bushings. You could weld this up with bed frames I would think. Wow. I love this concept!

A.
Why not just throw your bikes in a pile on the floor? This device does the same thing, only raises the pile over your head.

#24 ·
neex said:

A.
Gee Whiz! Look at the Bicycles! :D No way I could get my car in this garage... don't we all face this problem? Cars go outside, bicycles go inside...

#25 ·
Sorry of this is a dumb question I'm still kind of a noob....

But I saw in a few of these pictures that people were hanging their bikes from their wheels and I believe that one had the bikes hanging from their seat...hanging a bike like this wont tweak the bike at all? It wont hurt my baby?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.