Dr. Frost

What degreaser do you put in your ultrasonic cleaner?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm thinking simple green or some bio degreaser so it can go down the drain. Maybe some alcohol after as a "rinse cycle". Mostly I'm talking chains here. Thanks guys

Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Crest ultrasonic cleaner I have the pleasure of using requires you to use their own stuff, or you essentially screw the pooch (your warranty) on a multiple thousand dollar piece of equipment.

If at all possible, consult the manufacturer of your cleaner to see what they recommend...in short, don't put stuff in that they don't expressly tell you is okay. You can dip the chain in alcohol after cleaning, if you wish. Blowing the parts off with compressed air after a thorough water rinse works pretty well, and quickly, too. Lubing shortly after removes almost any chance of rusting.

As far as disposal, the rep I talked to recommended throwing the used solution in a bucket/pan/whatever, letting the fluid evaporate, and then chucking the sediment in the trash.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I don't have one (yet) but a friend does and I've used it a couple times and we've found 1/3 orange cleaner, 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water (actually probably a little higher orange cleaner.. ) works great for a base start then just water one or 2 times till it runs clear...

thou we are using a a "denture/CD/Jewelry" cleaner that's like 25 bucks not a massive thousand dollar unit.

we also put the chain out to dry in the sun for most of the day, and beside it one of those disposable lunch container units with oil in it to heat up.. then put the chain in the container of warmed oil and threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner to vibrate the oil into the chain.. did it help? honestly no clue... but the chain ran really smooth after
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I may be a newb to biking, but definitely not to ultrasonic cleaners, I am a certified regulator technician for most scuba manufacturers. I have tried just about everything in the world, and the best stuff by far is blue and gold. Use it and you won't be disappointed one bit.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb751 View Post
    best stuff by far is blue and gold. Use it and you won't be disappointed one bit.
    never heard of the stuff? where? what ? expensive? like more info .. sounds interesting...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    never heard of the stuff? where? what ? expensive? like more info .. sounds interesting...
    http://www.bluegoldcleaner.com/cleaner.aspx

We get it at a scuba distributor, it is a bit pricy at around $70 per gallon, but lasts a long time. On the website there is a number you can call and they can put you in touch with a distributor locally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Oh, and for ultrasonic you dilute it 5% so a gallon goes a long way.

mtbr member
    In my little $25 jewelry cleaner that I use for chains and cassettes and the like, dish soap works pretty well, then I buzz it for 10 minutes or so in just water as a rinse.

Probably not the absolute cleanest you could possibly get a chain, but I get 2-3000 miles from a chain doing that every 500 or so, with duMonde tech lube.

Dr. Frost
    Blue gold looks like the way to go, I'm using a 35$ jewelry cleaner too. I'd follow the instructions but I can't read them....not even sure what language it is LOL. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

How do you guys like the $35 cleaners? I have a 10 gallon Sonicor, and I would like to get a smaller one that is quieter than mine for small parts.

Dr. Frost
    I don't think it's nearly as powerful as an industrial unit but it's just right for a chain and ac powered. Results last night with Simple Green were only "meh, OK" but with a better degreaser I think we'll get better results. Next in my grand plan is a crock pot for wax

Amazon.com: SPT UC-0609 Ultrasonic Cleaner: Home & Kitchen

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm using one of the cheap cleaners and use Spray 9 cleaner/degreaser, low foaming, biodegradable with corrosion inhibitors meant for power washers. Works great, probably a lifetime supply since I use a couple of cap fulls each time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've found that Simple Green works very, very well. It's also cheap and easy to dispose of.

I've also learned it works a lot better when you use the basket instead of throwing stuff directly into the tub.