mtbr member
    May 2013

Weird thing happened on the way up to mountain - need smart mechanics to weigh in

So I bought a Sette Razzo about a month ago. It's been a great bike and I am loving it. Today I was cranking up this long 11 mile uphill grind (my 6th ride since I got it) and I noticed something really odd. The bike comes with Formula DC 32 hubs which are pretty loud when you are coasting. Here's a video ( not mine Formula Hub Sound, DC-32 - YouTube ). So I notice at some point along the climb, that when I coast I am almost silent. I can hear my freewheel spinning but no more loud freewheel noise. Nothing else appears to be wrong with the bike, shifting is fine, cranking seems fine. After I noticed I had another 2 miles of climb and didn't notice any mechanical problems. The pedals weren't jumping, shifting, etc... At the top I ran in to a couple of downhillers who work on their own bikes, they looked it over and didn't have any advice.

I know it's covered under warranty, but I don't know for sure there is anything wrong. Is it possible the hub just "broke in " and is quiet now? I was riding with headphones, so I can't say that something didn't pop along the way and I just didn't hear it. I'm pretty savvy and do my own maintenance, but this has me puzzled.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Plays with tools
    pull it apart and inspect it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @customfab Absolutely. Just wondered if anyone had any insight regarding this issue, maybe what I should be looking for, etc...

I have contacted both Sette and PricePoint in the event it's a warranty issue.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
    I know it's covered under warranty, but I don't know for sure there is anything wrong. Is it possible the hub just "broke in " and is quiet now? I was riding with headphones, so I can't say that something didn't pop along the way and I just didn't hear it. I'm pretty savvy and do my own maintenance, but this has me puzzled.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    No, hubs don't get silent after "breaking in," although they may get quieter. The buzzing noise is from the spring-loaded pawls inside the freewheel as they rub against the teeth of the freehub, which provide the engagement when you pedal. The only way I can think of a wheel getting silent is if it's overhauled and heavy grease is used in re-assembly or if the springs get soft. You could've also broken a spring.

As customfab stated, you should really pull it apart. Here's a generic how-to service freehubs as I wasn't able to find anything for your exact model:

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Freehub Service

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    No, hubs don't get silent after "breaking in," although they may get quieter. The buzzing noise is from the spring-loaded pawls inside the freewheel as they rub against the teeth of the freehub, which provide the engagement when you pedal. The only way I can think of a wheel getting silent is if it's overhauled and heavy grease is used in re-assembly or if the springs get soft. You could've also broken a spring.

As customfab stated, you should really pull it apart. Here's a generic how-to service freehubs as I wasn't able to find anything for your exact model:

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Freehub Service
    Thanks - the direction helps. I've been out of riding for 15 years, so some of the technology is new to me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Heard back from the company - they have this down as a known break-in issue and it will get quieter. So I will still pull it apart, but he thinks it's normal.

We shall see.