mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Water Inside Frame

How important do you think it is to completely dry the inside of a frame after a wet ride or washing (low pressure)? I realize steel frames demand it, but it seems like a good idea with any material.

I usually remove the seatpost and dump the water out, then leave the post out overnight. If not, I've found water inside days later.

Think it'll just eventually dry without too much issue? In other words, dump it and call it good.

Plays with tools
    Where is the water getting in, any way to plug the entry port? I wash bikes all the time and don't have a problem with water getting in any of our bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Where is the water getting in, any way to plug the entry port? I wash bikes all the time and don't have a problem with water getting in any of our bikes.
    I've thought about that, but there's not really an obvious port. It seems like it's happen with almost every bike I've owned (Trek, Yeti, Ellsworth, Ibis). I do use a garden hose, so there's a lot of water, just not at high pressure.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    General rule of thumb is don't use any more pressure washing your bike then you would to water flowers. A big soft brush can be of huge help when doing this task to avoid using too much pressure.

Personally I try to wash my bikes with a hose as little as possible. I find little need as I don't ride in mud (which is a big no no in most places anyways) and can usually get away with a rag and some bike cleaner.

But if you find yourself riding in the rain or through water there are two approaches to water in the frame. You can either take steps to stop it getting in, which isn't always feasible, or give it a place to get out, such as a hole in the bottom of the bb shell. After riding in nasty weather, or falling in a creek (like I did just the other day), I just accept that I will pull the seat post and let the bike dry out.

mtbr member
    My new Commencal Meta has a drain hole in the bottom of the frame, which is quite a good idea!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    All of my Treks have drain holes in the bottom, to include the carbon frames.