mtbr member

Using power tools on your bike?

I know this is going to sound crazy to allot of you but who uses power tools when they are working on bikes? Im talking about stuff like brake roater bolts and pedals mostly. I am adding a Milwaukee M12 cordless system to my shop, so I'm not talking about air tools or any thig crazy like that. The impact driver would be really nice when changing roaters. And I was looking at using the ratchet for pedals seeing as no one likes making pedals with flats on them any more. I hate trying to get pedals off with an allen key from behind. The wrench is never in the right place to get the pedal off and its always awkward because you cant hold the other crank arm still like you can when using a pedal wrench. Acording to Milwaukee's website the M12 cordless ratchet can put out 35ft-lb and acording to crankbrothers they spec pedals should be tightened to 25 to 30.

The White Jeff W

Re: Using power tools on your bike?

I used a Sawzall to remove my rear wheel. Didn't go well.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Funny you should mention it because just today I was talking about that and saying that if I still had my shop there would be a Milwaukee M12 on every bench set on the lowest clutch setting. It would speed a lot of processes up and prevent injuries, final torquing of course would still be done by hand. The biggest downfall I can see would be starting a bolt cross threaded and not realizing it because you couldn't feel it, which could easily be avoided by starting them by hand.

I'm not sure I would use it unless it was a production situation though, and though I have been impressed with the sensitivity of the clutch on that drill (different application) I would always set it low and finish torquing by hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Funny you should mention it because just today I was talking about that and saying that if I still had my shop there would be a Milwaukee M12 on every bench set on the lowest clutch setting. It would speed a lot of processes up and prevent injuries, final torquing of course would still be done by hand. The biggest downfall I can see would be starting a bolt cross threaded and not realizing it because you couldn't feel it, which could easily be avoided by starting them by hand.

I'm not sure I would use it unless it was a production situation though, and though I have been impressed with the sensitivity of the clutch on that drill (different application) I would always set it low and finish torquing by hand.
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking about. The clutch is no replacement for a good torque wrench. But it could definitely speed things up quite a bit. And for someone like me I have nerve damage in my hand rotor bolts can really hurt after 2 or 3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i use a m12 fuel brushless 3/8 impact daily. rips on rotor bolts, cassettes, chain ring bolts, stems. etc. it can take pedals off but some are too tight then i get the air power one out

Plays with tools
    Power tools in the shop are all kinds of awesome IF they are used correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use one of does tinny weak rechargeable "screwdrivers" to install the brake rotors, the thing is so weak will not even "Torque" the bolts, so is perfect because then I do it with the proper hand wrench..