mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Use 8speed sram power link with 9 speed chain?

Is this possible? I don't want to remove it. Just wondering if I can throw it in my chain if I'm on the trail and break a link.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    I mistakenly used 1/2 an 8 speed connector with a 9 speed chain and cassette (the other 1/2 was a 9 speed) and it worked propoerly for well over a year. So I guess you can use a whole one.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In a bind it'll work, but not for regular use. The 8spd plates are wider than the 9spd chain and when given the chance, will pop open.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    In a bind it'll work, but not for regular use. The 8spd plates are wider than the 9spd chain and when given the chance, will pop open.
    2nd.

mtbr member
    Knowing that you post in the SS forum a lot, I have to ask if this is for a singlespeed or 9 speed drivetrain. While I'd still suggest getting the proper powerlink when you can, you would have more issues (I'd think) on a chain that's being shifted from gear to gear rather than a straight chainline from cog to chainring.

Wombat - what type of drivetrain was your powerlink incident on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its for a 2x9 on my FS. KMC x9.93 chain. Im just going to go swap them out for 9spd at the shop tomorrow before the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Wombat - what type of drivetrain was your powerlink incident on?
    Sasquatch, it was a 3x9 set up on a FS Giant. 11-32 LX cassette, XT chain and deore rings. I probably put it on when it had done around 1,000 miles and replaced the drivetrain around 1,500 miles later.

Tim