mtbr member
    Jan 2007

tubeless setup -- need some help

I am new to the . I have Mavic XM 819 (UST) rims and i want to mount my non UST Nokians using Stan's sealant. Any advice/help on how to get the bead to seat would be helpful.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by babu9000
    I am new to the . I have Mavic XM 819 (UST) rims and i want to mount my non UST Nokians using Stan's sealant. Any advice/help on how to get the bead to seat would be helpful.
    Mount the tire with a tube first (remove tubeless valve stem) and let sit over night. Then break bead on one side, remove tube and install valve stem. Put in the Stans, put lots of soapy water on the bead, and use an air compressor to seat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks I'll give it a shot...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Mount the tire with a tube first (remove tubeless valve stem) and let sit over night. Then break bead on one side, remove tube and install valve stem. Put in the Stans, put lots of soapy water on the bead, and use an air compressor to seat.

One other thing I've found on a particularly stubborn bead is to remove your valve core. It lets air in much faster and I've had very good luck getting beads seated doing that. Don't often need to, but it's worked very well when I do.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    One other thing I've found on a particularly stubborn bead is to remove your valve core. It lets air in much faster and I've had very good luck getting beads seated doing that. Don't often need to, but it's worked very well when I do.
    Indeed it does, but will require the OP to purchase Stans or Caffelatex valves as the Mavic valves do not have removable cores

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I tried and tried...I went to the NoTubes site and they recommended rim strips for use with UST rims and non UST tires (I wasn't using any since I have UST rims, I didn't think i needed them). So I said screw it and got some 2Bliss SWORKS Captains for $25/ea. Threw some Stans in there, a little soap and water, hit it with my compressor and they popped right on. Thanks for all of the help!!!

Picture Unrelated
    Indeed it does, but will require the OP to purchase Stans or Caffelatex valves as the Mavic valves do not have removable cores
    Not only do Mavics have removable cores, they come with the tool to remove the core.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

??? My 819s came with removable cores including extras and the shraeder conversions also. I agree about the importance of removing the core for sure as even with a shop compressor, you will be hard-pressed to seat the bead without doing this. Soapy water is key also and do yourself a favour and pick up the presta/shraeder adapter. I find that a small length of 1/4" rubber hose clamped to my tire chuck does a perfect job with seating the beads (I have never converted a tire though and have always used UST rubber so your milage may vary).

Thanks!
    Andrew.
    Last edited by neex; 02-27-2010 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

A question - you're buying the best and really the only true UST rim out there in my opinion - why not get a true UST tire to match? It will grab the bead much more solidly in the channel and you will get more side wall support to allow for successfully running much lower pressures. You might gain a little weight but you won't notice this over the reduced rolling resistance and improved feedback.

All my opinions of course. Your mileage may vary.

A.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That's what I ended up doing if you my other reply. I got a good deal on some Captains and it worked great. I have heard they have sidewalk issues but so far they have been great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That's what I ended up doing if you my other reply. I got a good deal on some Captains and it worked great. I have heard they have sidewalk issues but so far they have been great.
    I jumped the gun - sorry. I'm glad they worked out for you. I almost bought the same tires on a recommendation from my LBS but ended up going with the Conti Mountain Kings. I have to say that I'm not disappointed in their performance across all riding disciplines. Those 819s are the nicest all purpose rims I've used to date. I can't believe they hold up for DH. Argue as you will anyone but try them first.

Thanks,
    A.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah I bought them**from Jenson for 239 built on XT hubs. They were built by Handspun and I couldn't be happier. Perfect setup, spin great and they do a great job with stress releiving the wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah I bought them**from Jenson for 239 built on XT hubs. They were built by Handspun and I couldn't be happier. Perfect setup, spin great and they do a great job with stress releiving the wheel.
    I built mine up with Hope Pro2 f/XC r combo and couldn't be happier. It was a bit of a pain building them but I think I could do the 'insert socket' style Mavics again in half the time now. They were built up to 90% max tension and have been bombproof.

Thanks,
    A.