mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Very nice Thanks!!!
    Salsa!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a couple Craftsman TQ wrenches. 1/4 and 3/8" drives for working on bikes in my garage. I have a little 5mm Ritchy TQ key on my work bench too for quick use.

mtbr member
    I see this craftsman is also about the same price of $60-70
    so I may probably buy that one.
    I know the warranty and probably QC is good on the craftsman for the long run.

Craftsman Torque Micro-Clicker Wrench: Get Multiple Jobs Done at Sears

mtbr member
    I'll probably get one of these two for bikes after all. lol

Park Tool TW-5 Torque Wrench

Spin Doctor Torque Wrench Set

Plays with tools
    I've been really happy with the pair of gear wrench torque wrenches. I've got the 85051 for smaller stuff and a 85052 for bottom brackets and single bolt crank arms. Had a pair of the Craftsmen ones and the locking collar broke, wouldn't warranty and they became hard to use. If you're looking for a basic set the PRO kit for Shimano works pretty damn well for almost all of your bike stuff and comes with bits that aren't crap for ~$120. I keep one of these in my travel box when I have to fly because it's light and compact.

If you're looking online you can get the gear wrench for about the same price as the Park, and it's 3 times the tool. I don't have any tools from bike companies that are not bike specific. There are better tools for the same money from general purpose tool brands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.

$22, Lifetime warranty. Bike shop I frequent near me uses the same one.

I just picked one up for my bike. I see no reason to spend 3 to 10x more for something that does the same thing. If this breaks, run back to the store and swap it out sameday, for free.

mtbr member
    good suggestions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveohio View Post
    1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.

$22, Lifetime warranty. Bike shop I frequent near me uses the same one.

I just picked one up for my bike. I see no reason to spend 3 to 10x more for something that does the same thing. If this breaks, run back to the store and swap it out sameday, for free.
    Why buy a bike that's 3 to 10x more than a Huffy? You get what you pay for.

Fwiw, I looked at buying one about 2 years ago. What turned me away? The top of the packaging said 50-250 in/lb. But the side of the package said 50-250 ft/lb +/- 5% If they can't differentiate foot vs inch on the same package...
    The Craftsman one has a way to send it back to get it recalibrated and a protective case that won't let you store it if it has too much tension on it. You're supposed to store it without tension. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Larry, good points.
    Please be sure to include which craftsman unit your referring to though.
    Because there are some newer ones labeled Craftsmen that are made in china with 90 day warranties and fail often.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You only think you get what you pay for. In most cases you don't. There's this little thing called the point of diminishing returns. Your little metaphor of a huffy vs a higher priced bike has 0 merit in this discussion.

Sure, the harbor freight stuff isn't Snap on or Matco but guess what, we aren't all professional bike shops and don't need to use it on a daily basis, but even if we are, my bike shop uses this thing, and is rated as one of the best shops in the area. If they are content with it with far greater use than I would need, then whats the issue?

If all your doing is tightening a few bolts once or twice a year, does that warrant spending $100+ dollars on something that does the same thing, are people on the interwebs gonna think i'm a baller cause my torque wrench cost X times more?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Why buy a bike that's 3 to 10x more than a Huffy? You get what you pay for.

Fwiw, I looked at buying one about 2 years ago. What turned me away? The top of the packaging said 50-250 in/lb. But the side of the package said 50-250 ft/lb +/- 5% If they can't differentiate foot vs inch on the same package...
    I just went by Harbor Freight and checked this one out, was told it measured in in/lbs which may not be a big deal, I checked online at Inch-Pounds to Foot-Pounds Conversion Calculator and it came up with 1 inch-pounds = 0.083333333 foot-pounds
    Last edited by tjMountain; 01-08-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Found conversion formula

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just bought this:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - D-Torq Wrench DX

from Chain reaction cycles.
    Wanted the nicest torque wrench I could find.

Torque Wrench suggestions?-2013-11-30-16.03.06.jpg

mtbr member
    i'm gonna try the harbor freight torque wrench.. i'd imagine that 35ft.lbs. is close to the middle of the range.. thats what is IMHO what matters when it comes to torquing something.

Redcoat

Torque Wrench suggestions?

Just picked up the park tool tw5 for 77 bucks all in off eBay. It's more than others but I have yet to read a bad review on it and for home mechanics like I'm doing it's an investment.
    There's a few left on there too just search park tool torque wrench then sort by lowest price and shipping.
    Lifetime Warantys are good if it's going to break. I'd rather have a good tool. This will do me good I have no doubts. Quality over quantity so to speak.

http://www.parktool.com/product/ratc...ue-wrench-tw-5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by steveohio View Post
    all your doing is tightening a few bolts once or twice a year, does that warrant spending $100+ dollars on something that does the same thing, are people on the interwebs gonna think i'm a baller cause my torque wrench cost X times more?
    How do you know op is just doing a few bolts a year? If you are maintaining your bike properly it should be a few more times than that. A good tool will last you, it's an investment, so you can use it for years and years long term. Not just a few times for a few years or whenever the pos breaks on you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salsamoto View Post
    I bought the same one a couple f weeks ago. I have only used it a few time so far, but it is quite nice. It comes with all the bits I need. So far so good.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    How do you know op is just doing a few bolts a year? If you are maintaining your bike properly it should be a few more times than that. A good tool will last you, it's an investment, so you can use it for years and years long term. Not just a few times for a few years or whenever the pos breaks on you.

No one is investing in any of the torque wrenches included on this page. If I was building bikes and doing consistent work I would touch any of these. I'd go buy a high quality torque wrench from Mac or snap on, gear wrench ect.

That reminds me. If anyone works somewhere that has a tool truck stopping by talk to the tool man. They will usually take your info and what you are looking for and give you a line when they get used tools in.

My 1/2 torque wrench I got off the snap on truck for $80. Guy traded it in for a digi unit for $50 credit and snap on man sold it to me for $80. Lifetime warranty. Rebuild able. Win win win.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    i'm gonna try the harbor freight torque wrench.. i'd imagine that 35ft.lbs. is close to the middle of the range.. thats what is IMHO what matters when it comes to torquing something.

Test it, they can be wildly inaccurate.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Test it, they can be wildly inaccurate.
    I will. Got a 35lb weight to test then torque bb to 35ft.lbs.

mtbr member
    If you're worried about accuracy, believe it or not the deflecting beam torque wrenches are your best long term bet. If you insist on the click type, make sure you back off the pressure on the spring before you store it to prevent fatigue; which will ruin it's accuracy.

The only reason you'd NEED a click/snap release torque wrench is when reaching into a blind access area where you cannot read the dial on the wrench. I've never run into that situation while working on bicycles or motorcycles. You'll save a bunch of money initially and if you take care of it over the long term you can pretty much forget about having it recalibrated as they are incredibly accurate and there is no adjustment for recalibration anyway.

I calibrated thousands of torque wrenches while serving in the US NAVY and had maybe one or two deflecting beam torque wrench come in out of spec. Comparably, almost every single snap action wrench I checked needed some adjustment to reach the +/- 4% accuracy. Another note for those not aware, torque wrenches can not be guaranteed accurate in the bottom or top 10% of range. So if you need to torque to 10 in/lbs do not buy a 0-100 in/lb wrench.

Sorry to tell you guys who dump big money into your tools; but Snap-On and MAC tools weren't any more accurate in my experience. I've read many accounts of Harbor Freight customers having their tools checked for accuracy and they came out good. YRMV

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    No one is investing in any of the torque wrenches included on this page.
    I don't think that's true at all. You are now talking regarding the other end of the spectrum, where by we are going to use the tool professionally day in day out. To be an investment it doesn't have to be as you state it has to be. If someone pays extra for something that is of better quality that they will use a fair amount or more in the future, of course that is an investment.
    A mechanics investment in tools is different to a weekend family rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OK,.. been reading this (and other past threads) on torque wrenches...

1st off, any one asking here is more than likely a home Mechanic.. Anyone in a shop working should get professional tools and others in the shop will have better recommendations than people blurbing here on the web. Thou there are more than a few Shop Mech's here the great majority isn't..

2nd Torque wrenches are a good tool to have, but "accuracy" within reason in a home environment will be varied more by cleanliness and other conditions other than the wrench it's self... Torque is used to measure turning resistance resulting in a clamping pressure when used on bikes,.. the problem is that just the Lock Tite many use on bolts lowers the torque-to-clamping force more than the out of spec a cheaper wench ever will.. and grease will often increase it more. A spec of dirt will bind the threads and increase the torque but actually lower the clamping... bla bla bla..

3rd, just a flux of 10 degrees in temperature will very a click type wrench by more than most specs

4th, torque wrenches on bike parts is more to get an "even" pressure.. the specs are very general and the few places you REALLY need to use one as long as all the bolts are all the same, being out a bit isn't going to make a particle of difference (again, with in reason) On chain ring bolts and such it's much more important all 4 (or 5) are all clamping evenly on the ring more than what that force actually is.

the few places a torque wrench is needed on a bike is to prevent OVER torquing which most people do when just hand tightening, few exceptions are Brake rotor bolts and threaded BB... everywhere else 90% of the time people are over tightening, and a torque wrench is used more to prevent threads from stripping.

When do you NEED a torque wrench? when clamping to Carbon fiber parts I Highly recommend torque wrenches, Stem cap to Handle bar, Chainring bolts... Brake rotors and calipers. Pretty much everywhere else it's not "needed" but hey.. it's an awesome idea to use it if you have the time and want to. Example,.. I absolutely use mine on my shifters, brake levers and stem cap holding my carbon bars... any time I work on cranks and rings (especially with Shimano crank arms with the dual sides bolting).. bla bla bla

Clean threads are more important than the quality of the torque wrench. Lock Tite sucks!! It works generally but when doing a repair/reassembly it leaves crunchy. crusty crap behind that is difficult to remove and will most likely leave you under clamped when the torque wrench says it's done. I use Only Plumber's tape now on everything but Brake rotors which the heat would melt.

I've been building and working on cars/dragster/bikes/motorcycles/back hoes and all kinds of machinery since the mid 70's I have extreme high end tools including torque wrenches... I also have the Harbor freight 1/4" torque wrench and ya know what.. it works fine on my bike and the bikes my friend have that I work on and share tools with.

As was stated above the bar/beam type are the best/most accurate.
    also as others have said a "click" type absolutely needs to have the tension released after use/during storage

If you are going to be doing a LOT of bike work.. get a decent mid range wrench,.. otherwise get the one that you can afford, a cheapo one is still better than none at all.

If you have all the bits and such the Harbor Freight one works... if you don't the BBB, Venzo (and many other brand names pasted on it) one would probably be best...
    another thing to think about is the Venzo/BBB one is a good bit smaller than the Harbor Freight unit I have.. I kinda like it better for reading also... If I were to get a 2nd it would be that one.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Harbor freight - let's start here.
    Screwdrivers - handles spin while applying torque
    Hammers- you get a 10 pack on "sale" for $15. The grips fell off, the face was rounded on 2 and the head fell off one.
    Torque wrench - if it says in/lb on one side and ft/lb on the other of the same package, am I really going to trust it?
    Calipers- (cen-tech now Pittsburgh) turn them on and it will say 0.0005 zero it out, measure part, clean off the jaws and close them. It's off 0.0015. Every time you open and close them, you need to re-zero them. I work with people who use this junk every day.
    3/8 drive metric hexes- I bought a set of these cause they looked good and the chrome finish was nice. The 10mm one didn't fit into the pivot of my brand new Remedy. Yet the Craftsman one did, the Park one at the shop fit, and so did the Kobalt set.
    There's a reason those hexes were $5.99 for a set of 6-7 vs others charging $5-6 a piece.

You do get what you pay for. Like it or not. Buy cheap, get cheap.

I'll have to see what the model number is on the wrench I bought. It's 2-3 years old, but it was made in the USA and had a way to return it for re-calibration. You can pick it up for around $80-90. The old school ones with the pointer are good to and a lot less expensive. Just bulkier.
    In an era where something on your bike is going to be carbon, torque is important. You decide. Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 01-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast