Rogue Exterminator

Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool VS crankbrothers Multi 19 Tool

Been using my old motorcycle tool which covers the basics fine but thining about getting a bicycle specific tool.

Looking between these two multi tools and leaning a little more towards the Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool, They are both the same price and both seem to be good quality but I think the Topeak is a little more compact.

Any input?
    Anyone have experience with both?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've got the CB M10. Despite my opinion that almost everything else made by CB is blingy trash, the multitool is the best I've used- good tolerances and machining. I liked it enough that I bought a spare for the second bike.

I would not bother with the larger M19 though- I think that the additional bulk added by the chain tool is not worth it. I think that chain tools are better off as a separate piece. So I carry an M10 and a separate Park Tools chainbreaker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You definitely want a separate chain tool. The Park CT-5 is great IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool VS crankbrothers Multi 19 Tool

I have the CB m17 and don't have anything bad to say about. The chain tool isn't bulky and I've used it multiple times (at home) with ease.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Integrated chain tools work 90-95% of the time. The other 5-10% of the time they don't work, you're SOL and have to walk or coast out.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am fine with 90-95% of the time.
    I don't have a chain tool at all right now and have yet to ever need one.
    This is just for emergencies anyways. If I was looking for shop tools, I wouldn't get an integrated tool.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Fair enough. Though I've never had to use a chain breaker for anything besides installing a new chain. I've just watched other people break theirs and then swear as they fiddle around with integrated ones

I carry a Park CT-5 (hardly a shop tool) only because I ride with other people who break chains.

Between the M10 and the M19, I'd still prefer the M10 as it's about as hefty enough as is for daily use. All I really use are 2-3 sizes of hex key, the other stuff is usually unused. M19 is going to be a fair bit heftier.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have seen it needed once on group ride where somebody broke a chain.
    I figure it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
    Most my rides even though may be long I am never more then a few miles away from the car.
    However, some of my rides, I can be 10+ miles away and that seems to be where sh!t go wrong. lol

banned
    Aug 2012
    Inventory your fastener needs, then choose the one that best meets those needs.

Wanderer
    I've used the CB chain tool on the trail and it worked fine. Like others, I think CB stuff is crap but their multitool is pretty decent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just ordered a topeak mini20 pro (i know, unsolicited advice here) because it was the only tool I found that had 10mm hex

I have my older (see rusted multitool thread) Topeak Hexus II, in which I did have to use the chain tool a few times, without issue. And mostly recently needed the 8mm hex to tighten down some loosened cranks. Had I been on my other bike, I woulda been out of luck, needing a 10mm - hence the Mini20 pro purchase.

Bikeabuser said it, assess your needs. Choose the tool for the (potential) job.

Warrior's Society
    Have been using the CB Multi 17 since they came out. Have had nothing but good experiences with it. Chain tool always works.

Only 2 drawbacks I have seen for it.......

1. Confined spaces are not good.....IE: trying to adjust a Thomson Seatpost
    2. Mine is so old there is no spoke wrench that is very compatible with their own wheels.

That being said, I have one for each bike, plus my wife carries one on her bike.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.