Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235

    Anyone have a ToPeak D-Torq Wrench DX ?

    So has anyone used this ? I dont know how good these electric torque wrenches might be and if they stay in calibration or if they need to be re-calibrated? I have some cheapo ones that i picked up back in the days but they are kind of a pita sometimes.. I was debating on either maybe getting a park tool trq wrench or maybe this one ? Anyone using it and how spot on is it ?

    Topeak® Cycling Accessories
    Last edited by aedubber; 03-24-2013 at 08:42 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    102
    I've been looking at this tool for a long time. Did quite a bit of research comparing click-type mechanical torque wrenches to digital ones. This topeak is one of the nicest ones I found. Problem is the price. Hard to justify. I'd love to see some long term reviews. If you can afford it I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

    My local shop has the smaller non-dx version, 1-20 N-m, and I'm not sure what torque range would be better. Are there any fasteners on a bike with listed torque requirements in the 1 to 4 N-m range? If not the DX version would certainly be more versatile.

  3. #3
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235
    Well I can afford it but I like to spend my money wisely sometimes that is lol , i dont know if the park tool click type is better then a digital trq wrench. I have some of topeaks stuff and its great quality and was very interested in this wrench but would love to hear from anyone that has had experience with both before I just buy it. Everything on my bike is 4nm and up but I dont mind having both for whatever, im kind of a tool addict lol .

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,630
    The digital ones are useful for setting the drag on Shimano's clutch-type derailleurs, as they (almost always) have instant torque readout, vs the click-type.

  5. #5
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The digital ones are useful for setting the drag on Shimano's clutch-type derailleurs, as they (almost always) have instant torque readout, vs the click-type.
    So then im assuming this would be a good thing then ? I dont want to shell out the cash and then be stuck with something that is an epic failure lol .

  6. #6
    Ninja Master Powers
    Reputation: DWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    517
    If it were me I'd buy the two Park Tool clickers (I did) they work well, they can be sent to Park for recal, don't require batteries and are sufficiently over priced.

    As for using a torque wrench to adjust your clutch rear D. Good luck.
    Not sure how the SRAM works but XTR takes a tiny little wrench which is actually part of the rear D. Less than 1/4 turn its perfect and I've had to do it once since buying it over a year ago.

  7. #7
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    834
    I use this one and its worked perfectly for me. I picked it up on Amazon at a nice price, skip buying it at a bike store. Had it for 2 years at least, no complaints.

  8. #8
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,273
    Personally I've got a par of Gear Wrench click style torque wrenches. One that works for most bolts on a bike and a bigger one that's for BB's and single crank arm fixing bolts. I've had them for a few years now and they've held up very well under professorial use.

    The Topeak does look like a solid tool though.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    So has anyone used this ? I dont know how good these electric torque wrenches might be and if they stay in calibration or if they need to be re-calibrated? I have some cheapo ones that i picked up back in the days but they are kind of a pita sometimes.. I was debating on either maybe getting a park tool trq wrench or maybe this one ? Anyone using it and how spot on is it ?

    Topeak® Cycling Accessories
    I haven’t tried the Topeak DX model that you are considering, but have been using the Topeak D-Torq for about a year now. I debated whether to purchase the D-Torq Wrench (1-20 Nm range) or the D-Torq Wrench DX (4-80 Nm range), and decided on the lower torque range model. Most of the fasteners on my FS bike fall within the range of the D-Torq Wrench (1-20 Nm). Only the bottom bracket and pedals have a higher torque setting, and I feel comfortable torqueing both of those without a torque wrench. I have several torque wrenches, including click-type and beam wrenches, and the Topeak is now my go to torque wrench. In my opinion, the only down side of the Topeak wrench is the price. I ended up purchasing it through Amazon, which at the time had the best price.

  10. #10
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,235
    Thank you drifter248 , thats the kind of reply i was looking for

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter248 View Post
    I haven’t tried the Topeak DX model that you are considering, but have been using the Topeak D-Torq for about a year now. I debated whether to purchase the D-Torq Wrench (1-20 Nm range) or the D-Torq Wrench DX (4-80 Nm range), and decided on the lower torque range model. Most of the fasteners on my FS bike fall within the range of the D-Torq Wrench (1-20 Nm). Only the bottom bracket and pedals have a higher torque setting, and I feel comfortable torqueing both of those without a torque wrench. I have several torque wrenches, including click-type and beam wrenches, and the Topeak is now my go to torque wrench. In my opinion, the only down side of the Topeak wrench is the price. I ended up purchasing it through Amazon, which at the time had the best price.
    Just out of curiosity, which fasteners on a bike are between 1 and 3 N-m, and would not work with the DX?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GregTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by evrac View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which fasteners on a bike are between 1 and 3 N-m, and would not work with the DX?
    Any FSA crank with MegaExo will have their preload bolt that requires 0.7-1.5 Nm.

    I have a clicker type Craftsman that goes from 5-80 Nm and I managed to break off the head of a bolt that required 8Nm on my motorcycle. I will never trust that wrench for anything less than 20Nm.

    The DX is a massive wrench. It's huge. it is almost 3ft long and weighs a pound.

    The smaller Topeak is an awesome wrench, I love mine and am glad I bought it. It seems like the price has gone up at Amazon in the last week or so as I paid much less for it than what it lists for now.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by evrac View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which fasteners on a bike are between 1 and 3 N-m, and would not work with the DX?
    I chose the smaller Topeak over the DX model not because it has a lower range, but because of potentially better accuracy. Most of the bolt torques on my bikes are in the 5-9 Nm range, which is near the middle of the D-Torq range, but near the bottom of the DX’s range. Torque wrenches are typically less accurate at the lower end of their range. This is also evidenced by the calibration test results provided with my Topeak D-Torq wrench, which shows the accuracy falling off drastically near the bottom of the range (but still within the ±4% tolerance) . Since I only use it on my bikes, it didn’t make sense, at least for me, to purchase the larger DX model. If you have other uses, it may make sense to get the larger model. In answer to your question, most of the torques below 4nm are for setting bearing preloads and other non-critical fasteners, such as the brake pad retaining screws on Shimano brakes (1.5Nm).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
    The DX is a massive wrench. It's huge. it is almost 3ft long and weighs a pound.
    The DX is actually 33cm (not inches) long. But I agree, 3ft would indeed be huge!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GregTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter248 View Post
    The DX is actually 33cm (not inches) long. But I agree, 3ft would indeed be huge!
    Oooops! I guess I better check the unit next time. 13.1" is still a pretty massive size to work on the bike and I 100% agree that the smaller one provides the right range and accuracy for most of the bicycle applications.

  16. #16
    GO BLUE!!
    Reputation: MiWolverine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    155
    I have been using the el cheapo Harbor Freight $20 (got it for $9) torque wrench for years and never broke or stripped a bolt yet. Compares to a high quality torque wrench a friend has without the cost. Shucks, I never even had it calibrated and it's still on par.
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 04:34 AM
  2. Topeak HID Moonshine??
    By ryan123 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM
  3. 8mm open-ended wrench for torque wrench
    By sfer1 in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
  4. Topeak whitelite hp 5w led
    By RNBN in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
  5. Anyone try Black-ops Torq-lites?
    By madsedan in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •