uzhas

Topeak Alien II chain tool question

Today, while riding, I came across of group of people, and one of them had some chain links bent on his chain. I offered them my help, even though I've never done field repairs(or any repairs of that sort) myself. It was quite easy to remove bent chain links. It was not that easy to join them together, using one of the old pins. Is there a way Alien II can be used to push pin to join the links or it is impossible? There is a hole on the bottle opener the size of a pin, but it's on the same side of the tool as a chain tool, so I didn't figure out, how to use it. And second question - can old pins be reused to join links at least temporary?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is not generally recommended to reuse an old pin. The "peened" out area will be sheered off of one end and there won't be anything to keep it in place. Use a Shimano repair pin(for Shimano chains) or one of several brands of quick links.

However...in a pinch...when you push the old pin out, only push it far enough to remove the bad links. Leave the pin in the side plate on the far side and it will be easy to push back through.

Parktool chain installation. This link will explain it better than I did.

uzhas
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    However...in a pinch...when you push the old pin out, only push it far enough to remove the bad links. Leave the pin in the side plate on the far side and it will be easy to push back through.

Parktool chain installation. This link will explain it better than I did.
    It's a really good advice. Thank you, you've answered all my questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0