Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tools to replace ISIS BB with X-Type?

896 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  EssEff 
#1 ·
OK, so I'm gonna replace a Race Face Prodigy ISIS crankset/BB with an X-type crankset/BB. What specific tools do I need? I'm a tad confused with the number of different BB types out there but ultimately I want to invest as little as possible on tools to remove the old BB since I'll probably not use an ISIS BB again. Having said that, here's what I think I need... can someone confirm?

To remove old cranks/BB:

8mm hex wrench (Pretty sure I don't need a crank puller, since hardware only seems to be an 8mm hex)

ISIS BB tool -- http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...ace-Face-ISIS-Splined-Bottom-Bracket-Tool.htm

ISIS lockring tool (cheap equiv. of Park BBT-8), or can I just use adjustable wrenches since I have no need to preserve the lockrings?

To install new BB:

Park BBT-9 or BBT-19
8mm hex wrench

#3 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
You don't need the ISIS Lockring tool for the Race Face ISIS bottom brakets. [/URL]
So the lockrings/spacers I see at each end of the BB shell can be taken off with a regular old pipe wrench? And one they and the cranks are off, no ISIS tool is needed? :confused:

I'm pretty sure the cranks use self-extracting bolts, so no problem there.

#7 ·
Thanks for your help mtnbiker... I assumed (wrongly) that this was a standard Race Face ISIS setup, but I guess the bike's previous owner did a frankenstein job on the crankset. OK, crank puller it is, and truvativ tool. Darn, I thought I could get away without buying too many tools to simply take the old cranks off.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.