mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Tools Needed to Build New Air9

Can someone please help provide a list of tools needed to build up a new aluminum Air9? I have the frame and parts--now it's time to invest in necessary equipment. Here's a breakdown of the components I'll be working with (all new):

Air9 frame with integrated headset and PF30 BB shell
    Reba RLT 29er fork with tapered steer tube
    FSA K-Force Light MTB 3x10 crankset
    FSA Steel MTB BB
    XT drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain)
    XT brakes and rotors (pre-bled with 160mm rotors)
    Stans ZTR Arch EX wheelset with 3.30 hubs
    Salsa skewers (100mm front, 135mm rear)
    Thomson seatpost (already installed), stem (80mm), and riser bar

I am also hoping someone can recommend a proper order in which to install these components. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Plays with tools
    Only thing you might need apart from the regular stuff is a crown race setter for oversize steer tubes. Has Niner switched to a drop in headset? If not you might think about having the shop install your fork and headset and doing the rest yourself.

My preferred scratch build order is:
    headset
    fork
    stem/bars
    BB
    cranks
    fd/rd
    controls
    brakes
    wheel assembly
    then route all the cables but don't anchor anything
    make sure your happy with cable routing and nothing goes over when it should have gone under another cable.
    Anchor cables & adjust
    bolt check
    test ride.

mtbr member
    Excellent build spec -- all top notch stuff. You didn't indicate your build experience level or what tools you already have, so I will presume that you are starting with few, if any, bike specific tools.

To elaborate on what Customfab mentioned in his post, "the regular stuff" would include the following:

Set of metric hex wrenches
    Chain whip
    Cassette lock ring tool
    Tire levers
    Pedal wrench
    Tool to cut the fork tube (hacksaw, tube cutter, or other)
    Headset bearing press (you can make one using inexpensive items from your local hardware store) -- could also possibly use on your BB
    Cable / Housing cutters
    Chain tool
    Hi pressure pump for your fork
    Needle nose pliers

I also highly recommend a bike repair stand. It is a big ticket cost item, but is well worth the money in my opinion -- think of it as a long term investment.

I agree with Customfab's suggested build sequence.

T.W.O
    Torque wrench
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    a book... it'll have a list of tools... really going to be much easier than feeding thru all the crap we can recommend out of our heads... Parks Blue Book is a good start that isn't too generic but not too specific either

plus stuff will be depending on frame.. as above example.. you wont need a headset press with an integrated headset frame... may not even need a crown race setter as many new headsets have a "split " race and it just pops into place like the top pincher in the Cane Creek designed headsets...

you will need a BB press for that bottom bracket and you'll need to make sure the crankset is the proper kind. (from your list I'm guessing you got the wrong cranks and BB as they need to be the same BB30 system the frame is, not the regular threaded bearing cups?? not sure what styles those cranks come in)

there is SOOO many tools that it's near impossible to list the one's you need ...

those guys did give you a good base to start with thou
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-30-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just completed my first bike build. I do have a pretty extensive tool collection from the automotive side of things. I was able to get away with only buying a Bottom Bracket wrench and a chain breaker. Although, I was able to buy a multi tool which had a chain breaker. I was pretty stoked about that because, after building my bike I knew exactly what size tools I needed to have on the trail and this Lezyne multi tool had just about all of them.

I used the home depot made headset press and it wasn't the easiest method but it still worked. You will need an assortment of hex head tools as well as torx. Also your standard phillips and flat head screw drivers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tools Needed to Build New Air9

I just did my first build and the one costly tool I didn't have and really wished for was a headset press. I tried the threaded rod to no avail and ended up beating the headset cups in with a rubber mallet. It was a steel frame, I would not try with an aluminum frame for sure. Get a press or pay to get it done.