Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Tools made from old spokes

My tookit is full of old spoke's that I've sharpened, hammered, or plied for particular uses and I seem to keep finding uses for these things every day. My shop if full of them, and my personal toolbox if full of them, what do you use your old spokes for?

Among my MANY uses for them, sharpened spokes particularly work well for cleaning out cable housing, starting to thread a nipple onto a spokes, and cleaning out shifters and derailleurs, especially when you have to pry off caps and covers. Hammering (widening and flattening) the end of a spoke makes a good scoop for removing bearings out of a hub, and can also be used if needing to pick a lock (co-worker picked a lock on a Yakima roof rack after a friend lost the key). You can also bend them into a "V" with hooks on the end to hold a chain together when installing/removing a chain. Does anybody else use old spokes as much as I do?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch35 View Post
    Does anybody else use old spokes as much as I do?
    In a word, no. but I'm liking this thread for exactly that reason. Love the chain holder suggestion and I'm looking forward to hear more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i use several. Sharpened ones are great after punctures. Just to clear out every tiny little stone from the tire. Better safe than sorry Flattened one and an angled point i use for gearcables on internal shifters. They can be quite tricky(Daaamn you shimano nexus). I even have a special one for fishing out the "wedge block" from oldschool stems out of front forks when costumers try a little Diy handlebar raising. If you dont have your own little collection of "spoke tools". Your doing it wrong

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great thread. Not exactly a tool, but we've used spare stainless spokes on ultra-light weight trips as kebab skewers. Nothing like some good hunks of meat or freshly caught fish roasted over an open fire when you're in the middle of no-where.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I use sharpened spokes to poke open the end of cable housing liners after cutting them. In the past I've bent one into a U shape and filed down the ends a bit to use it as a circlip remover. Also bent one into a bottle holder to hold a small plastic bottle near the brake caliper for catching old fluid when I'm bleeding the brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I too use a sharpened spoke for dressing up cable ends, no need to buy a fancy tool for that.O also use it to clean out tire sealant in presta valve extensions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "If you dont have your own little collection of "spoke tools". Your doing it wrong "

My thoughts exactly! I remembered another as well - when using valve extensions, I use a long spoke to poke at the valve because they often get "sticky" and wont move when you're trying to inflate them. Had to do that when I was one of the mechanics at a half Ironman Tri. You would be amazed at how many triathletes don't even know how to inflate their tires...
    Last edited by sasquatch35; 11-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.

A wheelist
    Hmmm, lemme see. I use 'em for most of the uses already listed here plus -

Dummy spokes (10cm long) for measuring rim ERD.
    A 4" piece, with upside-down nipple installed for lubing rim holes prior to building.
    A holder for my shaving brush (bent up in a creative way).

And my best, most fave use - a frame for a tiny stealth rear-view mirror. I've ridden for 4 decades with one of these and I wouldn't ride 1/4 mile without one (I ride lots of road). Don't gimmy no BS about geeky mirrors as these are a stealth as you can get - mirror glass is 1cm square and sits just 3mm from the sunglasses lens. Perfection -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tools made from old spokes-mirror-1.jpg  

Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

g3h6o3
    I use one as a nipple holder... but that's it!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    And my best, most fave use - a frame for a tiny stealth rear-view mirror. I've ridden for 4 decades with one of these and I wouldn't ride 1/4 mile without one (I ride lots of road). Don't gimmy no BS about geeky mirrors as these are a stealth as you can get - mirror glass is 1cm square and sits just 3mm from the sunglasses lens. Perfection -
    Well done
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hook shaped one for fishing internal wires/cables

~Disc~Golf~
    I use one for poking out the resin in my Sneak-a-Toke
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I use one for poking out the resin in my Sneak-a-Toke

Everyone needs a good poke, the stuff is sticky.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Pretty much all that was said...

... but I bend'em up and use them for hooks to hang stuff or when spray painting small bits.

They sharpen really fine and after a dip in alky use for removing a splinter out of skin.(I'm not a doctor so use your own discretion on this one)

(Already said but on the same token)They make great pick pricks if ya add a nice wood handle too, make a bunch bending them at different angles.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    only uses not listed that i use spokes for are martini olive skewers(reusable toothpicks basically when sharpened and cut waaay down), and in the shop we we use one as a hook taped to the repair stand to hold tape and scissors for use when taping road bars. far too many times we'd be taping bars and have to be like "oops. hey uh, can someone get me some scissors and electrical tape? please? i don't wanna have to let go of what i'm doing." one day my boss was like "better idea" and just went to town
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    only uses not listed that i use spokes for are martini olive skewers(reusable toothpicks basically when sharpened and cut waaay down), and in the shop we we use one as a hook taped to the repair stand to hold tape and scissors for use when taping road bars. far too many times we'd be taping bars and have to be like "oops. hey uh, can someone get me some scissors and electrical tape? please? i don't wanna have to let go of what i'm doing." one day my boss was like "better idea" and just went to town
    Great idea, I'm right there with you. It seems every time I'm wrapping bars, I'm the only guy around, and I always seem to place the electrical tape just out of reach. It really sucks when I'm using non-adhesive bar tape too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    Sweeeeet reflector on that Cervelo TT bike! A nice touch.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Sweeeeet reflector on that Cervelo TT bike! A nice touch.
    those were terrible. the current ones clip on the handle bar. i wish i didn't have to put them on but boss man says to put it on

mtbr member
    I use old spokes to help me lace up deep dish rims, and have made a couple key rings out of them. cut and thread both sides, bend into "O" shape, use spoke nipple to thread both sides together, or to open up to put new keys on
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sharpened spoke to drill out the cable stops on internally routed cables.

Picture Unrelated
    I keep a Ti sharpened spoke in my apron at all times, it's the most useful tool I have. I've also bent them into various hooks and shapes, and have frequently threaded two spokes together in a nipple for long reaches. The pin spanner trick is great until you realize that your spanner is dirty and that new bar tape for a customer is white (for whatever reason you would ever pick white bar tape).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here's a few pictures, sorry it took so long to get around to it. These area just a few I keep up at the shop, I have another handful of them in my personal toolbox and I'm constantly making new ones. The chain holder needs some refinement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tools made from old spokes-1.jpg  

Tools made from old spokes-2.jpg  

Tools made from old spokes-3.jpg  

Tools made from old spokes-4.jpg  

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch35 View Post
    The chain holder needs some refinement
    Talking about chain holders, here's an idea sent to me by Paul Morningstar of Morningstar Tools fame. It's made from a wire coat hanger but I guess a spoke (or spokes) could be used. It give oodles of slack chain for powerlink purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tools made from old spokes-tools-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got feelin' a little frisky and made a tool to get spoke nipz down into and out of deep dish rims

Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast