mtbr member
    May 2012

Tools for the go?

What do you guys carry with you when you ride for quick fixes?? Was debating on finding a decent multitool to throw in my bag, but unsure what all i will need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Multi-tool, big fat levers (since the tires are tight on my current rim) a spare tube, and a patch kit.

Most any fully-featured multi tool will do (full range of hex keys, phillips/flathead screwdriver, t25 torx, and a chain tool) but my personal recommendation is the Crank Bros Multi 17. One of their few products that I really like. Most multi-tool spoke wrenches are terrible (the one on the m17 happens to not be, for emergencies) so a dedicated spoke wrench for your specific nipples may be warranted.

Research what individual fasteners are on your bike, as you may need smaller torx wrenches.

mtbr member
    I really like the Bell back country tool.. it's cheap, but not too bad.

I'm an airplane mechanic, I tend to be a bit anal about keeping my bike tunesd up and all the fasteners tight.

I take some tools I don't need such as tire levers, I can take my tires off easily, but as often as not, I come across someone, (or my riding buddies) with a flat and feel compelled to help. That's why a carry a spare tube for me, and a patch it to fix others. Cone wrenches are cheap, light, and I have used them quite a few times on other peoples bikes. Alcohol wet wipes to clean up the fingers too.

Never Forget 9-11
    I carry a multitool, chain breaker, quick links, a tube, patches, mini pump, and tire levers. This covers every breakdown I've had so far.

I ride a 10 speed but carry 9 and 10 speed quick links in case I run across someone else with a broken chain.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I carry a multitool (Crank Bros m17), 9 speed link, tube, patch kit, tire levers, tire sleeve and a hand pump (duh).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone. I got a park tool mtb-3 coming. Heard PT makes great stuff so hopefully it'll be a good multi.
    What would everyone recommend for a good kinda cheap pump??
    I thought about just co2 but would rather have a decent pump if I can get one fairly cheap.

mtbr member
    If you are running tubeless, forgot the pump, just carry spare CO2. For pumps, I always had Blackburn products and liked them.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    If you are running tubeless, forgot the pump, just carry spare CO2. For pumps, I always had Blackburn products and liked them.
    Never use CO2 on tubeless with sealant!!! the CO2 will basically freeze the sealant and cause instant Stan's Amebas!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Never use CO2 on tubeless with sealant!!! the CO2 will basically freeze the sealant and cause instant Stan's Amebas!!!
    Fine, but have fun setting a tubeless tire with a mini-pump. CO2 is the only way to go, regardless of booger-formation. I use CO2 all the time with mine and have not any issues.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Fine, but have fun setting a tubeless tire with a mini-pump. CO2 is the only way to go, regardless of booger-formation. I use CO2 all the time with mine and have not any issues.
    I just use a tube... never gotten a tubeless to reseat with CO2 but then I don't use UST stuff so and what ever it was that was SOOO bad you ended up needing to re seat a tubeless set up is probably beyond getting it to hold tubeless again..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Topeak do a nice multitool...alien 3 I think its called

mtbr member
    +1 on pump vs. co2 for tubeless, however I still carry both a frame pump and a small inflator with a couple cartridges. I'm over prepared. I have the same bag for a couple different bikes so the tools don't change (tube does depending on the bike). I carry a multi tool, knife, chain links and master links, spare cleat bolt, tube, co2 cartridges and inflator, frame pump and $5 just in case. I also carry some form of ID, my phone and some sort of a snack. My multitool is a bigger one so its got a chain tool, tire lever, spoke wrench, etc on it. Do I ever use any of it? No. But it's nice to have. The pump is great for adjusting tire pressure on the trail, I do use some. Besides the co2 freezing your sealant, it costs like $3.49 per cartridge...that's an expensive top off!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just carry a multi tool, a spare tube, tire lever, small hand pump, and a couple of quick links. I run tubeless, but instead of worrying about having to remember to replace co2 cartridges when I use them and messing with seating a tubeless tire on the side of the trail, I'll stick to just removing my tubeless valve and installing a tube to get me back to the car. It's less fuss to me.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    I just carry a multi tool, a spare tube, tire lever, small hand pump, and a couple of quick links. I run tubeless, but instead of worrying about having to remember to replace co2 cartridges when I use them and messing with seating a tubeless tire on the side of the trail, I'll stick to just removing my tubeless valve and installing a tube to get me back to the car. It's less fuss to me.

me too... love tubeless. but if something happens I gotz a tube ready to go!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Crank Bros M10, Park mini chain tool, mini Leatherman (squirt?), Pedros spoke wrench, about 6 feet of Duck tape wrapped around a bit of drinking straw, 6 feet of 3mm accessory cord, 3 Powerlinks, Two tubes in an old sock, little bottle of chain lube, patch kit, mini pump, and if I'm going out for multidays I will carry some cables.

Believe it or not it'll all fit, aside from the pump, in a medium saddlebag.