Tools for the go?

Printable View

• 12-09-2012
    zkid09
    Tools for the go?
    What do you guys carry with you when you ride for quick fixes?? Was debating on finding a decent multitool to throw in my bag, but unsure what all i will need.
  • 12-09-2012
    wschruba
    Multi-tool, big fat levers (since the tires are tight on my current rim) a spare tube, and a patch kit.

Most any fully-featured multi tool will do (full range of hex keys, phillips/flathead screwdriver, t25 torx, and a chain tool) but my personal recommendation is the Crank Bros Multi 17. One of their few products that I really like. Most multi-tool spoke wrenches are terrible (the one on the m17 happens to not be, for emergencies) so a dedicated spoke wrench for your specific nipples may be warranted.

Research what individual fasteners are on your bike, as you may need smaller torx wrenches.
  • 12-16-2012
    AlaskaStinson
    I really like the Bell back country tool.. it's cheap, but not too bad.

I'm an airplane mechanic, I tend to be a bit anal about keeping my bike tunesd up and all the fasteners tight.

I take some tools I don't need such as tire levers, I can take my tires off easily, but as often as not, I come across someone, (or my riding buddies) with a flat and feel compelled to help. That's why a carry a spare tube for me, and a patch it to fix others. Cone wrenches are cheap, light, and I have used them quite a few times on other peoples bikes. Alcohol wet wipes to clean up the fingers too.
  • 12-17-2012
    FujNoob
    I carry a multitool, chain breaker, quick links, a tube, patches, mini pump, and tire levers. This covers every breakdown I've had so far.

I ride a 10 speed but carry 9 and 10 speed quick links in case I run across someone else with a broken chain.
  • 12-17-2012
    MrMatson
    I carry a multitool (Crank Bros m17), 9 speed link, tube, patch kit, tire levers, tire sleeve and a hand pump (duh).
  • 12-18-2012
    zkid09
    Thanks everyone. I got a park tool mtb-3 coming. Heard PT makes great stuff so hopefully it'll be a good multi.
    What would everyone recommend for a good kinda cheap pump??
    I thought about just co2 but would rather have a decent pump if I can get one fairly cheap.
  • 12-18-2012
    TiGeo
    If you are running tubeless, forgot the pump, just carry spare CO2. For pumps, I always had Blackburn products and liked them.
  • 12-20-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    If you are running tubeless, forgot the pump, just carry spare CO2. For pumps, I always had Blackburn products and liked them.

Never use CO2 on tubeless with sealant!!! the CO2 will basically freeze the sealant and cause instant Stan's Amebas!!!
  • 12-20-2012
    TiGeo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Never use CO2 on tubeless with sealant!!! the CO2 will basically freeze the sealant and cause instant Stan's Amebas!!!

Fine, but have fun setting a tubeless tire with a mini-pump. CO2 is the only way to go, regardless of booger-formation. I use CO2 all the time with mine and have not any issues.
  • 12-20-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Fine, but have fun setting a tubeless tire with a mini-pump. CO2 is the only way to go, regardless of booger-formation. I use CO2 all the time with mine and have not any issues.

I just use a tube... never gotten a tubeless to reseat with CO2 but then I don't use UST stuff so :skep: and what ever it was that was SOOO bad you ended up needing to re seat a tubeless set up is probably beyond getting it to hold tubeless again..? :confused:
  • 01-19-2013
    Daz4311
    Topeak do a nice multitool...alien 3 I think its called
  • 01-19-2013
    sasquatch rides a SS
    +1 on pump vs. co2 for tubeless, however I still carry both a frame pump and a small inflator with a couple cartridges. I'm over prepared. I have the same bag for a couple different bikes so the tools don't change (tube does depending on the bike). I carry a multi tool, knife, chain links and master links, spare cleat bolt, tube, co2 cartridges and inflator, frame pump and $5 just in case. I also carry some form of ID, my phone and some sort of a snack. My multitool is a bigger one so its got a chain tool, tire lever, spoke wrench, etc on it. Do I ever use any of it? No. But it's nice to have. The pump is great for adjusting tire pressure on the trail, I do use some. Besides the co2 freezing your sealant, it costs like $3.49 per cartridge...that's an expensive top off!
  • 01-19-2013
    owensjs
    I just carry a multi tool, a spare tube, tire lever, small hand pump, and a couple of quick links. I run tubeless, but instead of worrying about having to remember to replace co2 cartridges when I use them and messing with seating a tubeless tire on the side of the trail, I'll stick to just removing my tubeless valve and installing a tube to get me back to the car. It's less fuss to me.
  • 01-19-2013
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    I just carry a multi tool, a spare tube, tire lever, small hand pump, and a couple of quick links. I run tubeless, but instead of worrying about having to remember to replace co2 cartridges when I use them and messing with seating a tubeless tire on the side of the trail, I'll stick to just removing my tubeless valve and installing a tube to get me back to the car. It's less fuss to me.

:thumbsup:
    me too... love tubeless. but if something happens I gotz a tube ready to go!
  • 01-20-2013
    big_papa_nuts
    Crank Bros M10, Park mini chain tool, mini Leatherman (squirt?), Pedros spoke wrench, about 6 feet of Duck tape wrapped around a bit of drinking straw, 6 feet of 3mm accessory cord, 3 Powerlinks, Two tubes in an old sock, little bottle of chain lube, patch kit, mini pump, and if I'm going out for multidays I will carry some cables.

Believe it or not it'll all fit, aside from the pump, in a medium saddlebag.