MBN
    mtbr member

Tools Advice Needed.

Hi Gang,

I want to make the leap into my own bicycle repair/building.

I have a few bikes. One has Shimano Hollowtech II cranks, another has Truvativ Stylos, and another has Truvative Holzfeler cranks. Would the Sette 32 kit do the trick? It seems like the 21 would not allow me to pull the cranks and bb. I want the ability to strip all frames, and then rebuild them. Are there any tools missing that I would need to do the job?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...--32-Tools.htm

Thank you for any help.

M.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Looks like you'll be pretty well set with that collection. I can only think of a few things off the top of my head; I use a philips head screwdriver on occasion for the odd part here and there.

Depending on how "stripped" you want the frame, you'll need something for headset cups. They never need to be removed for regular maintenance, only if there's a problem or you're getting rid of the frame. I got a 1" copper tube and put 4 cuts in it to pound my headset out. I've never put one of my headsets in (always had the LBS do it after they ream/face the headtube), but I hear a lot of people say it's pretty easy if you throw the headset in the freezer, put the bike in the sun, and pound it in with a hammer on a piece of wood. Just make sure you've got it straight.

For new fork assembly you'll also need hacksaw or pipe cutter for trimming the steerer tube, and a 1 1/8" PVC pipe for pounding on the fork crown race. To get it back off you can use just about anything and a hammer on the bottom, again it never needs to be removed for basic maintenance.

Good luck, I really love doing my own maintenance.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Every time I post I think of some more things. Depending on your hub you may end up needing a pin spanner (mine does, but it came with the hub itself), and I suppose I didn't even think about suspension components, but I'll let someone else handle that since I have no idea, probably fork oil and bearing pullers? Also for hydraulic brakes you'll need to get a bleed kit and the appropriate fluid.

...idios...
    You may find the thread in this link useful. Personally, I'd stay away from kits, at least the cheap ones, and focus on high quality 'everyday' tools and a careful selection (for your bikes) of bike-specific tools from the Park Tool or component manufacturers.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

~Disc~Golf~
    you can make some stuff too
    check my uber cool chain whip!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I wouldn't buy that kit. Half the tools in there you'll probably never use, unless you have some 25 y.o. bikes (eg, headset wrenches). I'd use Park as the baseline for quality and not go below that (but possibly above for select tools).

I'd buy high quality tools a couple at a time. Don't worry about a full frame strip / total rebuild right off the bat - the price for all those tools at once would be daunting. Just the Park HHP-2 headset press (shop quality) is $120 minimum. I finally broke down and ordered one after years of thinking about it. Still need the CRP-1 crown race remover - another $112.

Park makes a tool for everything, but in some cases their offering is not the best quality vs. other brands (although they've closed the gap over the years). I've found Shimano's tools to be uniformly great, and try to buy those when I can find them (harder to find than Park). Pedros also has some great stuff - definitely get their long allen key set (as good as Swiss-made PB tools, and cheaper). Those will be your most frequently used items.

I was a shop wrench for years, so I've been spoiled. One shop I worked at had the full Campagnolo tool set in the huge felt-lined, wood case. The precision, quality, and aesthetic was mind-blowing (as was the price), but that set is long out of production. I have a few Campy tools, but the only one I still use is the pedal wrench. Wish I'd bought their dropout alignment tools before they went out of production - the Park ones I have pale in comparison (too much play in the threads to be accurate).

AZ
    banned
    2nd on the Park , buy what you need to do the job . Most kits have alot of tools that you will never use.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the input everyone.

My first order of biz is to take some Hollowtech II cranks off of one frame, and put em on another. What tools do I need for that? In addition, my Truvative Stylo cranks could use some adjusting. Which tools do I need for that? Any other suggestions for additional tools to buy ASAP? Where should I buy em?
    Thanks for everyones help.
    M.

...idios...
    If you go to the Shimano and SRAM websites you'll be able to view and/or download installation instructions for both crank set-ups. The instructions will also describe which tools are needed for each job. Once you've found the names of the tools you need, try a web search for them (including model numbers) or ask at your local shop. All the information you need to work on your bike can be obtained online if you just put some effort into searching. For a general guide on tools, you may find this short article useful.

Diogenes

MBN
    mtbr member

Steve........

That is good advice.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Thanks for the input everyone.

My first order of biz is to take some Hollowtech II cranks off of one frame, and put em on another. What tools do I need for that? In addition, my Truvative Stylo cranks could use some adjusting. Which tools do I need for that? Any other suggestions for additional tools to buy ASAP? Where should I buy em?
    Thanks for everyones help.
    M.
    You need a Hollowtech II BB Wrench for removing External BB. The Stylo needs they same exact tool as any External Bottom Bracket which is a Hollowtech II Wrench. I would also suggest a Chain ring nut tool. handy to have if you plan on removing and installing chain rings ever. Also a cable/hosing cutter.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    You need...
    You've missed out at least two vital tools and added a completely pointless one. Once again, your advice is half-baked and virtually useless.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    You've missed out at least two vital tools and added a completely pointless one. Once again, your advice is half-baked and virtually useless.
    WTF are you talking about. I answered his question with complete accuracy and then suggested another useful tool.

How to you remove a External style BB? With a External Style BB wrench, drrr.

He wanted suggestions for tools so I suggested a chain ring nut wrench, name me a better way to remove chain ring bolts and nuts? Screw drivers dont work, so you need this specific tool. So how exactly is my post "half-baked and virtually useless"?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    He wants to remove a Hollowtech II crankset. List the tools required, then compare that to the tools you told him he'd need.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    He wants to remove a Hollowtech II crankset. List the tools required, then compare that to the tools you told him he'd need.
    And whats your point? I told him he would need a Hollowtech/External BB tool to remove the BB. The rest of the tools needed are totally dependant on which crank he gets. The suggestion of the chain ring nut tool was something to add too his list for his over all tool box, it has nothing to do with removing the cranks.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    ok kids...time out
    go to your corners
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    For example my Race Face Ride XC Crank needed the Wrench and a 8mm hex key to install. Shimano needs completely different set of tools, looks like the Truvativ needs basically what the Race Face needs.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    And whats your point?
    My point, which you're proving over and over again for anyone who has half a clue what they're doing, is that you don't actually know how to remove a Hollowtech II crankset. Just list the tools, and you'll be able to prove it to yourself, too.

Diogenes

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    ok kids...time out
    go to your corners
    Pull your head in, highdell, this has nothing to do with you.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    My point, which you're proving over and over again for anyone who has half a clue what they're doing, is that you don't actually know how to remove a Hollowtech II crankset. Just list the tools, and you'll be able to prove it to yourself, too.
    I guess you missed my above post about there being different tools depending the manufacturer, for instance I wrote what he needs to install a race face one.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    I guess you missed my above post about there being different tools depending the manufacturer, for instance I wrote what he needs to install a race face one.
    I've missed absolutely nothing. Just list the tools needed to remove a Hollowtech II crankset.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    BB Wrench
    Star Shaped Hollowtech II Specific tool (Crank arm cap tool, as Park calls it)
    8mm hex
    5mm hex
    Rubber mallet (had to use one on my race face)
    Water Resistant Grease

Should be it, got any other stumpers.

Race face has a simpler setup I only used a 8mm hex key, rubber mallet to get the non driver side with axle in the through, the Hollowtech wrench, and grease.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    For example my Race Face Ride XC Crank needed the Wrench and a 8mm hex key to install. Shimano needs completely different set of tools, looks like the Truvativ needs basically what the Race Face needs.

I guess that you still havenot figured out that spewing useless irrelevent information is going to get you called out every time . Do yourself and everyone else a favor and GO AWAY , your consistantly misinformed opinions are doing a disservice to people that have a need for accurate unbiased information .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I guess that you still havenot figured out that spewing useless irrelevent information is going to get you called out every time . Do yourself and everyone else a favor and GO AWAY , your consistantly misinformed opinions are doing a disservice to people that have a need for accurate unbiased information .

How was I wrong? Instead of just jumping into a topic and insulting someone how about you go away. Because you added nothing constructive to this topic, because I didn't see you post in here trying to help this guy. Everything I have written is 100% correct, I didn't use or suggest any specific tools by name brand so how am I being biased?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    How was I wrong?
    The utterly essential preload cap tool and the 5mm hex key. Clear enough? One would also require a small screwdriver or point to pop the stopper plate from the hole in the axle. Have you ever actually removed one of these cranksets?

And what is the 8mm hex for? Care to elucidate?

Diogenes

mtbr member
    The utterly essential preload cap tool and the 5mm hex key. Clear enough? One would also require a small screwdriver or point to pop the stopper plate from the hole in the axle. Have you ever actually removed one of these cranksets?

And what is the 8mm hex for? Care to elucidate?
    8mm hex keys is needed to replace the bearings in the BB Oh, wow I forgot a screw driver.

Yes I have once it was a Shimano XT, other than that I did my own race face crank set which is a ton simpler than the Shimano. A lot less bolts to remove than the Shimano.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    8mm hex keys is needed to replace the bearings in the BB Oh, wow I forgot a screw driver.

Yes I have once it was a Shimano XT, other than that I did my own race face crank set which is a ton simpler than the Shimano. A lot less bolts to remove than the Shimano.

Again incomplete information is worse than no information . Do you really think that you are doing anyone a favor by giving them incorrect or incomplete information or so called facts garnered from your vast "years" of experience ? Tell us, the uninformed just how long you have been wrenching or riding MTB's . From the posts that I have seen , I would guess less than a year .

...idios...
    8mm hex keys is needed to replace the bearings in the BB
    Really? Please explain...

Oh, wow I forgot a screw driver.
    And the hex key and the preload cap. The three other tools that are essential for removing a Hollowtech II crankset, which is what the OP wanted to know how to do.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Really? Please explain...

And the hex key and the preload cap. The three other tools that are essential for removing a Hollowtech II crankset, which is what the OP wanted to know how to do.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/siteb...llowtech2a.pdf

I check my facts before I post, clearly lists and shows the use of a 8mm hex key to completely change the bearings inside a hollowtech II BB.

To answer your question with another question are you the "incomplete information" police? Lol, I have been riding for less than a year, and wrenching for the same time. My First MTB this year was a 20 year old Schwinn Rigid that with the help of a mechanic friend we put together. After a few months I swapped a lot of those parts on to a Sette Reken, and have continued to replace all those parts over by myself with little or no help using only torx tools I also built a Shogun Road bike from just the frame and fork. I havent hidden hw much I know or how long I have been riding, in fact if you look around there are posts where I mention I have only been riding for less than a year.

What I dont get is how you feel you need to hijack this persons topic, just to try and prove some kind of twisted point. When all you had to do is add that I missed a few tools and list them off, no need to drag someone through the mud. You also seem like your the type of guy who was probably a self appointed dick when you were younger, probably even know if you ask me.

Now that that has all been covered how about we help this guy instead of taking every topic I post in off topic to make your self feel good.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Hijack , not trying to hijack . Pointing out your misinformation before someone takes your info as gospel and gets themselves up a creek without a paddle . Hijacking is your style anyway .

...idios...
    What I dont get is how you feel you need to hijack this persons topic, just to try and prove some kind of twisted point.
    It's you who has hijacked the topic. I'd already given the OP a nod in the direction of being able to work it out for himself, and he seems sharp enough that he'd ask for specifics if he gets stuck. You then came along and gave him your pointless and inacurate "assistance".

You don't understand why people are calling you out for incomplete and inacurate information? Oh well, I guess it'll dawn on you someday when you're taking a dump or painting a fence...

You also seem like your the type of guy who was probably a self appointed dick when you were younger, probably even know if you ask me.
    So now you feel the need to start calling names? You're proving to be quite the addition to the forum.

Now that that has all been covered how about we help this guy instead of taking every topic I post in off topic to make your self feel good.
    Help him with what?

It doesn't make me feel good to do it, but as long as you're peddling your spam and dishing out incomplete, inacurate and unnecessary advice, I'm going to call you out, as will several other people, so you'd best either get used to it or think twice about the stuff you post.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Good advice guys....i knew i could count on you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    WTF

No need for 8mm hex for ANYTHING on shimano HT2 cranksets.

OP could still buy one, it is always useful.

Members who have read this thread: 0