Thread: Tool kits

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tool kits

I am looking to purchase a basic tool kit to work on my bikes with. I am torn between these three. I know that "Parks" is the better tool but it is also twice the price. The kits come with pretty similar tools it looks like to me. Anyone have any experience with any of these other brands?

Park Tool AK-38 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit - Tool Kits and Sets

Spin Doctor Team 33 Tool Kit - Tool Kits and Sets

http://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Compl...=bike+tool+kit

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I took the route of buying the tools that I need when I needed them. I think I've wound up with a better than average set of tools without having purchased things I didn't need, or having paid a high price for common tools like screwdrivers like those included in the Park kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

NeedGod.com
    I've been buying my tools as needed as well. Gives me something to look forward to.

If you have your heart set on a set, that Bikehand set looks like a good value. Never used them, so I don't know if they are any good. Looks like it got good reviews on Amazon, though.
    Nathan

Class Clown
    First I would find out what tools you need and compare them to the kits. You may not need that many bike specific tools.

I agree though that one of the cheaper sets might be worth it because you get a lot for cheap, but can't speak for the quality.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    what everyone above has said. Personally, I think all those kits have too many tools that all do the same thing.
    buy a basic metric Allen(hex) wrench set at your local hardware store for a 1/4 the price. That will do 75% of everything on the bike. get the specialty tools to fit your need/bike parts.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    OK thanks a lot everyone. I will just look at buying the individual tools. I do not need anymore screw drivers or allen wrenches. I have a lot of them. Thanks for the input!

Kevin

Trailhead Poseur
    If you have basic hand tools, I agree it's best just to pick up the bike-specific stuff as you need it so you don't end up overspending for tools you already have or buying tools for things you'll never work on.

But, I have learned to never assume anybody has any sort of tools at all. Once at one of my wife's friends house, she had a picture she wanted to hang so she grabbed a shoe to use the heel to drive the nail into the wall. "Where's your hammer?" "What do you mean, where's my hammer? Of course I don't have a hammer, I'm not a construction worker!" At another friend's house, the batteries in one of the kid's toys died and there was a little screw holding the cover closed. They grabbed a steak knife to undo the screw and I suggested that they use a screwdriver. They looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears. The idea that they would own a screwdriver was completely foreign to them.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    The idea that they would own a screwdriver was completely foreign to them.

sounds like these kind of people won't make it far in life....