mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. Tool to face Surly fork brake bracket

I am looking for a way to face the disc brake mount on the Surly Ogre front fork? I have tried an install of BB7 on it and I ended up with heavy rub due to lack of clearance between the rotor and the outer pad, even when outer pad is fully backed out. My LBS rolled their eyes when I asked to face the bracket surface where caliper is attaching via an Avid 20mm adapter (I use 180mm rotor).
    Advise is appreciate.

mtbr member
    I have faced all of my Surly fork IS mounts with the Hope Disc Brake Mount Facing Tool.
    Hope Disc Brake Mount Facing Tool - Spot Tool - $171.99

This can also be used.
    Park Tool Co. ยป DT-1.2 : Disc Tab Mount Facing Tool : Brake Tools

I was having problems as well due to thick powdercoat, facing did the trick. Any decent shop should have these tools. If they didn't know what you were talking about, I probably wouldn't go to that shop very often.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Tool to face Surly fork brake bracket

Facing is worthwhile, but what you need are spacers. You will need more spacers after facing the tabs. Some shops don't have any, but a good shop should. I have had to shop around to find one that carried some. They are one of those things it can be worth having extras in your toolbox.

mtbr member
    I've "faced" IS tabs on frames before using a large file that contacted both tabs at the same time. I used light slow strokes, trying to keep the file flat on the tabs and the pressure even. It's not ideal, but it worked just fine for me. I figure that as long as the surface of the tabs is in the same plane with each other then the CPS washers used on Avid brakes will make up for any minor misalignment in relation to the axle.

Another alternative might be to remove some material from the adapter. I've done this by laying sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the adapter on it. That way I kept the side of the adapter relatively flat.

I've been able to fix your exact problem using both methods above, and none of my bikes have exploded as a result. Just don't remove a ton of material.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you, this is what I will try tomorrow. One shop wants $50 to face the fork bracket... That is just crazy/
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I've "faced" IS tabs on frames before using a large file that contacted both tabs at the same time. I used light slow strokes, trying to keep the file flat on the tabs and the pressure even. It's not ideal, but it worked just fine for me. I figure that as long as the surface of the tabs is in the same plane with each other then the CPS washers used on Avid brakes will make up for any minor misalignment in relation to the axle.

Another alternative might be to remove some material from the adapter. I've done this by laying sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the adapter on it. That way I kept the side of the adapter relatively flat.

I've been able to fix your exact problem using both methods above, and none of my bikes have exploded as a result. Just don't remove a ton of material.

Tool to face Surly fork brake bracket

Cutting tools have a finite number of cuts before they are trash and they are expensive to replace. $50 is to be expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Facing is worthwhile, but what you need are spacers. You will need more spacers after facing the tabs. Some shops don't have any, but a good shop should. I have had to shop around to find one that carried some. They are one of those things it can be worth having extras in your toolbox.
    Can you explain what you mean? OP's problem is that the rotor is rubbing on the outer pad. Spacing the IS-Post Mount adapter would only move the caliper in, increasing the problem. Spacing the rotor would do the same thing. Increasing the distance between the IS tabs and the hub disc flange is the only thing that I can see fixing it. I have had no need for spacers, especially with Avid calipers with all of their adjustment. I have had the same problems that OP is having on my Karate Monkey. I had to run my calipers all the way "out" on my PM adapters to get the proper clearance. After I faced them, smooth sailing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Can you explain what you mean? OP's problem is that the rotor is rubbing on the outer pad. Spacing the IS-Post Mount adapter would only move the caliper in, increasing the problem. Spacing the rotor would do the same thing. Increasing the distance between the IS tabs and the hub disc flange is the only thing that I can see fixing it. I have had no need for spacers, especially with Avid calipers with all of their adjustment. I have had the same problems that OP is having on my Karate Monkey. I had to run my calipers all the way "out" on my PM adapters to get the proper clearance. After I faced them, smooth sailing.
    Agreed, I can't think of any way that adding spacers is going to fix this problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Definitely, need facing. Spacers are impossible, I checked on that, it would move caliper towards the spokes and make things worse, I have to move the caliper further away from spokes to get more clearance. I am shocked by the price tag to face $90-dollar fork, I need to fork out $50 (pun intended). None of the shops have the bracket facing tool available except one shop thus the price tag. I called Park Tools and they said their tool is designed for 3000+ cuttings before it needs new blades but will I realistically do so many cuttings $150/3000=$0.05 per cutting. $49.95 per labor. I wish we had bike co-ops here in Illinois but I just could not locate one. I read about them where co-ops buy super tools and then members can just share them, but those are Portland things Anyone knows about online bike tool rentals?
    I have taken my Nicholson files out and it looks intimidatingly rough to do the job properly, I know it could be done and most likely it will be fine but what if I mess up. I already spent money facing crown seat and crown setting. Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post

Dunno about you guys, but after facing, I've found it helpful to put some thin spacers between the adapter and the faced tabs to ensure that the adapter remains square, and that remaining paint/metal don't push the tab into a cocked position. May not be super important when dealing with Avid CPS washers, but I prefer my adapter brackets to be square, especially if I'm going through the effort to have the tabs faced.

I have also had Avids that would always slide on the adapter when tightening the CPS washers, making it nearly impossible to get a perfect caliper alignment installing it on the bike (facing the post mount position on the adapter would have been a good idea, but how much am I going to spend facing every damn contact area on the bike?). On those occasions, I've found it helpful to put the caliper and adapter into a vise to keep them in the same position for tightening. Using spacers after that point is helpful for centering the caliper.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm really fortunate to work in a shop where we have all of these proper tools. Whenever I build a new bike, I face my headtube and bottom bracket as well as the disc tabs if I can. The Surly slotted ones get a bit tricky but I have found a way to do it! Its also nice to have the crown race setter and puller, bearing presses, belt drive specific equipment and so on. Maybe OP should just get a part time gig at a bike shop and gain access to wondrous tools!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am having the same exact problem with my Surly Ogre fork with an Avid bb7 180mm rotor. I was thinking about either facing the fork disc brake tabs or switching to a 160mm rotor. In the facebook group, "I love my Surly Ogre/Troll", nobody seems to be having these problems with a 160mm rotor an 160mm rotors are included on the complete bike from Surly. I went with the 180mm for better stopping power on the 29er, and the fork should accommodate up to a 203mm rotor. Have you faced the tabs and wound up with a positive outcome? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went in circles with LBSs they want $40-50 to face front tabs, I decided to return BB7, bought Shimano Deore Hydraulics with 180mm in front and never had a problem with it, perfect alignment and no rub, excellent stopping and zero noise. I was loyal to Avid for years but time to say good bye to Avid... If you find a local shop that will face for $10 it is probably worth it, but in my case it was making the cost of Avid too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonehawk3339 View Post
    I am having the same exact problem with my Surly Ogre fork with an Avid bb7 180mm rotor. I was thinking about either facing the fork disc brake tabs or switching to a 160mm rotor. In the facebook group, "I love my Surly Ogre/Troll", nobody seems to be having these problems with a 160mm rotor an 160mm rotors are included on the complete bike from Surly. I went with the 180mm for better stopping power on the 29er, and the fork should accommodate up to a 203mm rotor. Have you faced the tabs and wound up with a positive outcome? Thanks!

Plays with tools
    $40-50 to face disc tabs is perfectly reasonable. Those tools aren't cheap, the process isn't quick and they've got overhead.

It seems you don't really need to face the tabs, more just a need to remove the powder coat. If your up against a budget and can't have then faced a file and a steady hand can solve that problem.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    $40-50 to face disc tabs is perfectly reasonable. Those tools aren't cheap, the process isn't quick and they've got overhead.

It seems you don't really need to face the tabs, more just a need to remove the powder coat. If your up against a budget and can't have then faced a file and a steady hand can solve that problem.
    That's a third of the cost of owning the Park's DT 1.2 Disc Tab Mount Facing Tool. The tool would pay for itself after the third brake (front or rear), so . . . one and a half frames.

Once I realized how much money I have invested in bicycles so far, I figure there's no turning back now. What's another $138.51 for a tool to assure I'm self-sufficient? I figure a tool that pays for itself in only three uses is a good deal, even though it seems expensive to acquire initially.

Universal Cycles -- Park Tool DT-1.2 Disc Tab Mount Facing Tool has it for $162.95 - 15% off coupon = $138.51

Then again, I'm kind of a tool monger.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Then again, I'm kind of a tool monger.
    So how many Abbey tools do you have?

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    So how many Abbey tools do you have?
    I've never heard of you before. I checked out your site, looks like some pretty fancy aluminum stuff. I have mostly Park Tools, some Pedro's and a few from Chris King as well as Snap-On, Wera, Wiha, and some Craftsman. I'm pretty well stocked on the tools you offer, so if you're trying to sell me something, I'm not interested.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I've never heard of you before. I checked out your site, looks like some pretty fancy aluminum stuff. I have mostly Park Tools, some Pedro's and a few from Chris King as well as Snap-On, Wera, Wiha, and some Craftsman. I'm pretty well stocked on the tools you offer, so if you're trying to sell me something, I'm not interested.
    fair enough. When you are ready to get bike specific tools that are on the same level as your general tools from Snap-On, Wera and Wila look me up.