Thread: Tool brands

mtbr member

Tool brands

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would super B tools rate. Im looking at purchasing some tools for myself. I just want service my own bike when needed.

mtbr member

Wow

I just want to say...I cant believe that when this forum first publised that the intend was not help some one wanting to learn more about therer bike getting a tool kit for a good value for the brand name....if they are a brand?.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Stay away from small/no-name brand tools that are cheap. They will work for a short time, but the softer metals they are made of are either going to make them bulky/thick tools (doesn't work with things like cone wrenches) or, as is often the case, will have them deform in short order.

Obviously, wrenches (open-end and hex/torx) in particular suffer from this problem with regards to bicycles. It is a good idea not to skimp on these tools, as a wrench that deforms can damage the fastener as well.

Single Speed Junkie
    Would recomend getting a nice set of Bondus Allen wrenches. Have used these for nearly 25 years with out any issues. For bike specific tools Park had done well by me. You can buy the mack daddy kit or piece it togther as needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The SuperB stuff is fine for the basics. I have one of the tool kits from them, and it was a great starting point for much of the work I do. The tools aren't fantastic, or as hardened as some of the other brands out there, but they are servicable. I haven't had the need to outright replace any of them yet. I hate the pedal wrench though.

on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate them a C+

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Use some of the Super B stuff in the shop I work at with out any problems. But a bulk of the tools we use are Bondhus, Craftsman or Park. Some Super B stuff is actually more expensive than the Park stuff.