Wanderer

Tire levers for SUPER tight tires?

My blue park ones just can't do the job.

Which ones do you suggest for SUPER tight tires?

mtbr member
    These metal Parks will do the job, but you have to be careful about dinging the rim with them: Park Tool Co. TL-5 : Heavy Duty Steel Tire Lever Set : Tube & Tire

Wanderer
    Thanks, those look like they can do the job. I'll use some extra pieces of tube as a rim cushion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You don't need to protect the rim if you use good technique. Just don't mash them or try to slide them along the rim, and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    good technique. break the bead and push the bead into the drop center of the rim. finally a nice pedros lever

Wanderer
    I ordered these instead of the Park ones. The price difference was just to much for me to ignore.

Amazon.com: IceToolz Steel Tire Levers Set, 3 Piece: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I ordered these instead of the Park ones. The price difference was just to much for me to ignore.

Amazon.com: IceToolz Steel Tire Levers Set, 3 Piece: Sports & Outdoors
    We've got some of those at the co-op and they bend pretty easily. The metal Park levers are damn indestructable.

Warrior's Society
    Yeah, if they are that tight......tire/rim combination might not be compatible.

If it is that difficult to get them on while working in the comfort of your garage, what do expect to happen when you are trying to change them out on the trail.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Wanderer
    On is doable, its off that we couldn't get. I like tight but not in a non-stansed wheel .... I'll find out how these are in a few days. If they suck then I'll pick up the parks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Plays with tools
    The only thing the steel Park levers are good for are wheel chair tires and fork seals. They're to thick to be of much good on bicycle tires.

Pedros makes the best tire levers out there IMPO. But I view tire levers as a semi consumable tool so I don't get to bent out of shape when they bend out of shape. Supposedly the Specialized steel cores levers are nice but they aren't complete, they still break were the steel ends and the plastic begins. Perhaps even more often than the all plastic version as one small spot in the lever is taking all the flex.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Pedros levers. Especially good for really tight tires because they have a nice thin shape and are made from quality plastic. They will bend or break once in awhile (they all do) but like customfab said they are a semi-disposable item so if that happens just grab another. If you use a thicker steel lever on a very tight tire you are likely to just mangle the tire bead, or the rim.

reading comprehension wat
    OP looks to already got something, but I wanted to add that I like the yellow Pedro's levers too. Had them for ages, and they've always worked without fail. They're my fav tire levers, among a collect of other plastic and steel ones, but I admit I never changed DH wire bead tires with 'em. Tightest tire I got off were a set of WTB Bronson AM TCS, which sucked since the the rim didn't have much of an inner channel for the beads to go into, to assist in taking it off. Thinking back to that experience, I was gonna suggest automotive tire irons...
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

Wanderer
    The IceToolz levers worked great. Great value, no rim scuffing either. I have 2 of them in my camelbak now.

I've had most of the plastic ones in the past. My very old (guessing 15 years) Park blue ones were the best plastic ones I have tried. Newer Park blue ones don't seem to be the same as the old. Pedros I found inferior to my old Parks. All the plastic ones sucked for this particular tire/rim combo and I didn't want to take a screwdriver to it.