Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire levers?

mtbr member

Tire levers?

My little blue park levers met their match yesterday, and would like a more robust set. The wire bead Nevegal was a bastard to get off my Sunringle wheel.

Longer, and made of aluminum I'm thinking. I like the look of the crank brothers tool.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    pedros are the heat. good technique helps a lot. break the bead and push it into the drop center of the rim

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    REI's Novara levers are surprisingly robust. And cheap, which is key when it comes to tire levers.

I've broken the blue park ones, as well (with proper technique). Will never get them again.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just use my motorbike tyre levers.

WAY easier. Just gotta be gentle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got to find a nice set of metal levers... I always snap the plastic ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well...nicest steel core I've use is PDW's coated 3wrencho. It's expensive at ~$15USD each.

Park makes good steel levers that aren't too expensive for a pair. They do need a bit of care to use without damaging rims, but are otherwise no different from a [long] plastic lever.

Minoura makes forged aluminum levers that come in a three pack that aren't bad at all.

All that said, however, the best bang for your buck will be Pedro's plastic levers. With good technique, you will not break them, and they come with a lifetime warranty. I've never found a tire they didn't remove.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Crank Brothers speedier lever is nice.

They are now my favorite lever for mounting stubborn tubeless tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    pedros are the heat. good technique helps a lot. break the bead and push it into the drop center of the rim
    Another vote for petros. probaby have busted a dozen levers over the years especially on UST tires but these petros milk crates have been going strong for a long time. They are plastic and wide so i never feel like i could damage the rim or tire with them.

Plays with tools
    Park does some steel cored plastic covered tire levers. I think Leyzene might as well.

I like the pedros ones as well. But they still break from time to time. Or get lost.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Another vote for petros. probaby have busted a dozen levers over the years especially on UST tires but these petros milk crates have been going strong for a long time. They are plastic and wide so i never feel like i could damage the rim or tire with them.
    me too.. been thru a few diff ones and finally got them as a freebee add on back in like 2006 or 7 and have gone and gotten another set ..one set in the box, one in the van. Use them pretty regular and take WAY more than the Parks ever had!! I do use the shorter yellow ones.. been more than enough for any tire they have ever gone against
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quick Stick

I've always liked Quick Sticks. I've never had to worry about pinching a tube.

One Gear
    +1 for Quick Stick. Been using them for 15 years and never met a tire that it couldn't handle.

Picture Unrelated
    Pedros' are my favorite. They're strong enough for any tire without being able to cause damage like a metal lever can. If you're using dual ply wire bead DH tires, you might have a case for metal levers; for everyone else those Pedros' levers are where it's at.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

ready to ride
    The Jensonusa house brand are pretty good too. Seems more durable than the parks. Seems like a good value @ $2.99 for 3. Had mine about 6 months, been using them a good amount changing tires seem to be holding strong.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    My vote is for Pedro's. The plastic coated, steel core'd Park ones aren't so great. I've used a couple pair and the plastic always chips off after a few tight beads and you're just left with the steel core. I won't use the blue plastic Park levers because they're garbage.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had great luck with Avenir metal-reinforced levers.

Wanderer
    I've got an old pair (10+ years old I guess) of the park blue ones and without a doubt they are stronger than the new park blue ones.

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013

Park TL-5

I have had plenty of plastic tire levers break on me, so I went with the Park TL-5 set. They are absolutely fantastic and will remove any tire without fuss. However, they can scratch the finish of the rim. I was going to start a new topic about this because I searched and found nothing but then discovered that members with less than five posts may not start a topic. Anywho, does anyone have any way of preventing rim damage with these levers? I am thinking of coating them in plastidip, which hopefully should solve the problem. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Plastidip works fine, but so will good technique. I use other levers in combination with the large steel Park levers, as they don't have hooks (which makes not scratching the rim very hard).

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Plastidip works fine, but so will good technique. I use other levers in combination with the large steel Park levers, as they don't have hooks (which makes not scratching the rim very hard).
    Thanks! Admittedly my technique probably could be better!

mtbr member
    Got a couple of the small plastic Pedro ones. Seems much better, but I also haven't tried to take off that damn Nevegal either. IT seems these Sunringle rims are a little taller than others I've had.

Grams Light Bikes
    Prestacycle’s Prestalevers - only lever I have never broken

Warrior's Society
    I got a pair of generic green levers from Performance several years back.....only set of levers I have not broken.....and I have used a lot of them over the years working in a shop.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Well, since nobody mentioned these...

Specialized Prybaby levers. I've got several sets, thin & strong, but hard to find. Caveat - I' have broken 1 of them.

JMJ

mtbr member
    +another for the Quik Stik. That's all we used at the shop I wrenched at for 8 years. They don't pinch and last forever. Long-ish for good leverage too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast