Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Are there any online how to's for bike repair/maintenance?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  tojnom 
#1 ·
I'm looking to give my 03 Ironhorse Maverick some TLC. It needs a new chain & cassett. it also could use adjustments. I'm a gearhead, with a car I drag race, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I have a lot of tools. I just need to get some info on how to do it.

I know I found a book on ebay by park tools that is a DIY. Is there any web sites with how to's on them?

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
I'm sure if you sit down and do a little searching on here and places like youtube and of course your favorite search engine, you will find an enormous amount of information. You will need some specialty tools of course, I don't know what you have in your arsenal. Most stuff on bikes is going to be either metric allen sizes (from 2mm to 10mm) and on newer stuff, some T25 torx wrenches and I have a few different sizes of phillips and flat blade screwdrivers for various areas. "Specialty" tools come into the picture when you start working around your bottom bracket, cassette and possibly your chain.

#7 ·
gmcttr said:
The instructions often make it seem more complex than it is. Do something once and it gets easy.

If you work on your car, you shouldn't have many problems.
Agreed. Bikes are pretty simple machines, you just need to pay attention to detail.

Park's website is a good online reference. If you're looking for a book to keep in the shop then "Zinn and the art of Mountain Bike maintenance" is good.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.