mtbr member
    Feb 2006

sweat resistant multi-tool??

So, I am a sweaty pig. Probably worse than a pig to be honest, they don't really sweat. At least not like I do. I can seriously squeeze enough sweat from my shirt after a summer ride to fill up a red solo cup. It's ridiculous. Nonetheless, besides myself, my wife, my washing machine, friend's olfactory senses, my car stench, all suffering - my precious multi-tool suffers too. The damn things rust. I keep it in my camelback, even in a plastic ziplock most of the time but it still gets so wet and moist back there the thing really has little fighting chance against me.

Is there a multi-tool out there that could possibly resist this power I have?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    So, I am a sweaty pig.
    Is there a multi-tool out there that could possibly resist this power I have?
    Dude, if your sweat is really as penetrating as DMSO, then you probably ought to visit with your doctor. Seriously.

Regarding your conundrum, here's a few suggestions:
    A fresh baggie every now and then?
    Stash your multitool in an Altoids box?
    In a plastic bag in an altoids box?
    In a plastic bag, in an altoids box with one of them silica gel packs inside?
    In a condom (proven to survive the rigors of stomach acid inside a nervous prison inmate)?
    In a condom inside an altoids box?
    In a hermetically sealed container? (assuming your bike is set up correctly and you don't ride like an idiot, the liklihood of actually deploying and using your multitool trailside is slim, right?)
    submerged in a bed of dry rice inside an altoids box?
    wrapped in cellophane?
    wrapped in cellophane, inside a baggie, inside an altoids box?

or finally....

secured inside a seat bag away from your disgusting fire hydrant of a body?

Good luck.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

turtles make me hot
    I just searched for an old school Ti Cool Tool. They didn't make them for very long. I have a regular steel one and I still carry it.
    The Ti one would have been impervious to sweat.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Otterbox would likely be the cheapest solution.

Sweat is corrosive, period. The solution is to keep it away from the tool.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Take the damn thing out of that baggie ... All that does is trap any moisture, and give it no place to go.

No Stranger to danger....
    Mate a good idea is to get a very slimline under seat bag, ive got a fox one its great, shove a bit of rag in their to stop it moving around n its all sweet, you wont even notice its there..
    You can buy seatbags that are that thin you dont even notice them, and they are great to throw your keys, multi and phone in on short rides instead of a cumbersome backpack
    cheers..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I second that you should leave that thing out of a Ziploc bag. My Camelbak routinely gets soaked from mud or rain or whatnot, and yeah, sometimes my tools might rust a little, but it's not so bad. I can't see a Ziploc doing any good here.

Wanderer
    Don't leave it out of a bag, it will go downhill quickly that way.

Instead use two nice ziplock bags. I use the thicker ones with the double ziplock and they work fine. replace them occasionally.

mtbr member
    I live in a humid climate & have corrosive sweat. plastic bags are generally bad in my climate, as they trap moisture. I periodically spray all tools that corrode with Boeshield T9, which leaves a corrosion resistant waxy coating when it dries. It works decently to lube your cables, if you're into that sort of thing.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Warrior's Society
    Hmmmmm......I sweat a lot on my rides, and my CB Multi 17 is not rusted......and it is gotta be 8-9 years old, and it always goes in my jersey pocket.

Agree, put it in a plastic bag, but don't close it.....allow it to breath.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    soooo, 2 schools of thought on this. Leave it in the bag (use more bags?) and don't use a bag at all. I'm going to split the difference. I bought a new ToPeak mini20 pro (cool tool, very small!) and it comes with a neoprene bag. I think I'll actually use this bag for the tool - maybe it will breath better in this thing.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

mtbr member
    forgot to mention, that I often use a nylon pouch or use a piece of tyvek (from an envelope) to wrap tools with sharp edges. The tyvek type stuff doubles as a tire boot, if you need it in an emergency.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]