mtbr member

Swapped fork, now headset doesn't seem to "seal" completely

I recently changed the fork on my Specialized FSR fork with a Tange headset. The bearings are cartridge type (think that's what they are since you can't see the BBs). Well, after putting in new fork and setting the headset pieces back in, I noticed there is a 1mm gap betweem the silver top cup and the black headset cover. I don't remember there being a gap there. Also, the headset lock ring doesn't sit flush with the cover. It sticks up 1mm, as you can see in the pic where it's between the cover and spacer (with scratch). Hope the pic will show you what I mean.

I double, triple checked to make sure I had all the parts in the right location made sure no part was upside down. Do I need to press the lack ring down? I'm afraid it may damage something.

mtbr member
    Did you put the correct race on the new fork? Did you actually use a new fork or an old one; if old did you remove the old race?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    maybee; compression ring upside down, top/lower bearing switcheroo (they can have a different taper), crapola under the bearing, needs a bit more elbow grease to seat, or thats the way it was.

banned
    Aug 2008
    I am going to assume your steer tube is not cut to proper lenght.there should be a gap between the top cap and top of steering tube..forgot how many inches/mm go to park tool to read tutorial or reference headset manual? if all parts are in order it is soooo important you have that top cap gapped properly to top of steering tube so it can seat onto steer tube,if when you snug down the top cap and it is not spaced properly in regards to head tube it potentially could push the steering tube down and you have that gap issue you speak of.so is your steering tube cut properly? are you pushing up on entire fork assembly when fitting stem? reference park tool and I bet they could explain all better then me or anyone else here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HUZZA
    I am going to assume your steer tube is not cut to proper lenght.there should be a gap between the top cap and top of steering tube..forgot how many inches/mm go to park tool to read tutorial or reference headset manual? if all parts are in order it is soooo important you have that top cap gapped properly to top of steering tube so it can seat onto steer tube,if when you snug down the top cap and it is not spaced properly in regards to head tube it potentially could push the steering tube down and you have that gap issue you speak of.so is your steering tube cut properly? are you pushing up on entire fork assembly when fitting stem? reference park tool and I bet they could explain all better then me or anyone else here.
    oops missed one, this probably is the most likely scenario.

mtbr member
    A-ha, the lock ring (or compression ring?) may be upside down! I have the tapered send pointed down, as most are. I think that could be it.

Correct race is on, the top of stem goes over the top steerer tube by about 3mm.

Thanks!