mtbr member

Suggestion for Removing Sheared Cleat Bolt

I was installing cleats onto a new pair of shoes the other day and had the head of what I think was a defective bolt shear off on me (oddly enough this was while trying to loosen, with very little torque applied - must have had a bad thread). I was able to use the second set of holes to achieve a similar position, but would like to remove the bolt at some point if possible. Just not sure how to go about it.

For reference, a picture of SPD cleat mount area:

The remains of the screw are about even with the yellow bit on the sole so there is not enough sticking up to get a normal grip on it with a pair of pliers. I can get a pair of mini visegrips onto the screw coming from the top, but of course can't grip it well enough to turn the screw that way. Figured the clever folks in here might have some ideas.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Magically Delicious
    Everyone has their own tools and tricks for extracting a broken screw. The simple screw extractor works quite well (most of the time) and is widely available everywhere (auto parts stores, WallyWorld, Sears, etc.). The screw extractor (which also works on bolts) comes in a range of sizes for screws of diameters ranging from 3/32" to upward of 1/2" or even larger.

Iím betting thereís plenty of You Tube videos on dealing with this issue.

Magically Delicious
    Simple Screw Extractor
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just replace the steel backing plate. Inside you shoe, lift-out the liner and the backing-plate just falls out. If you don't have a spare one, the lbs should. You can also flip the plate around 180-degrees.
    James

08 CDale Road Tandem 2
    07 Stumpjumper FSR (wife's)
    06 Spec Roubaix
    06 CDale Synapse (wife's)
    04 Spec Enduro

Magically Delicious
    Of course... new nut plate...Ok...that's just way too easy. Why didn't I thunk of that?

Single Speed Junkie
    I'm with weaklink on this one. Pull the plate and flip it 180. If you want to remove a little bit of the old bolt take a dremel to it making it flush with the surface of the plate. Sometimes you get lucky with vibration and heat build up where the bolt will start to spin free. To pull the broken bolt I'd start drilling it out then use an extractor on it.

mtbr member
    Doh, didn't know the plate would come out. That would make it rather easy

I have an extractor set but must have misplaced the small one. Thanks guys!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.