mtbr member

Sugestions for a Shop Chain Tool, Please?

Looking to replace my 20 something year old Cyclo Rivoli chain breaker tool. Been looking/reading reviews of Park, Sette, Pedro's etc. I like the looks and the price $17.00.

Sette ST-324L Screw Type Chain Tool | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Looking at the Park CT-3, Shimano CN-27 and CN-28, or maybe just another Cyclo Rivoli also. Would appreciate any input, please? THNX!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    for the once in awhile that will be fine.. I service my bike and a bunch of friends bike and I still just use my multi tool one on my Topeak tool. works fine for the dozen times a yr I use it. If I were a shop I'd get a nice solid one. but for the "garage Mechanic" the Sette will be fine
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If I had to pick one of the ones you threw down, it would be the park. Simple, durable metal construction. All the ones that I've seen in shop have lasted several years a pop with proper use/maintenance. It will only work on 3/32 or smaller chain; if you try to use it on 1/8th bmx/track chain, you won't be able to push the chain pin far enough.

However, if you want something that is bomb-proof, Park's Master chain tools work incredibly well, and don't damage pins, if you are fiddling with centering/repressing. It is likely the cheapest of the 'shop grade' tools you'll find. Shimano's shop tool is also very nice (though fairly spendy).

If you want to get one chain tool to rule them all, Rohloff makes one called the Revolver, presses/peens all chains from 1/8th track, all the way to 11 speed Campagnolo. Not particularly pretty, but very functional.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    park ct 3 is what i use for 99% of chains. got the park ct4 for 11spd

Plays with tools
    Sugestions for a Shop Chain Tool, Please?-shimano_tl-cn32_professional_chain_tool_y13098150.jpg

These things are wonderful. But I'm guessing you'll flip when you find out what they cost. The other Shimano chain tools are rather nice as well. The basic park CT-3 is solid and is used by many shops so finding replacement pins will be easy.

mtbr member
    I thought the Park CT-2 chain plier was the shop standard, but they seem to be discontinued. Maybe they wouldn't work with the new narrower chains.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I am personally quite partial to the Lezyne chain drive for the few occasions where I need a chain tool at home.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shimano_tl-cn32_professional_chain_tool_y13098150.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	793638

These things are wonderful. But I'm guessing you'll flip when you find out what they cost. The other Shimano chain tools are rather nice as well. The basic park CT-3 is solid and is used by many shops so finding replacement pins will be easy.
    Replacement pins inside the handle !! Really a nice tool. I have used it and it was perfect. Sure, you have to be a tool addict to pay that much for it.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Thanks to all of you for your input! I went with the Park CT-4.3. I tried it on a piece of old chain and wOw! is it ever so easy to "cut' a chain!! Very smooth and fast working tool. Waaay easier than my old Cyclo Rivoli! Thanks to all!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    My fav. chain tool by far. I have two- was lucky to get a new one before they stopped selling them. My other one has definitely seen better days. I am bummed that the new CN34 tool is not as awesome. Will be looking at transferring some parts over perhaps...

I still need to get ahold of your tools- they are at the top of my list