mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Steerer Tube + Handlebar Cutting Tool?

I wanted to cut down some handlebars (and may be doing a new fork install soon) and don't have a hacksaw. Pricepoint has a steerer tube cutter for about 13 bucks: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/151...ube-Cutter.htm . Anyone use this or have any recommendations? Is there a better pipe-cutter I should use?

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    I went to the local hardware store and bought a pipe cutter for $8. Works well, just buy a half moon file to get off the edges.
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexit
    I wanted to cut ...... don't have a hacksaw.
    I think you answered your own question!

Hacksaws are not expensive. A guide for cutting the tube would be a nice extra, but not necessary.
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use a Park Threadless Saw Guide plus a hacksaw purchased at my local hardware store. The saw guide is great. It'll allow you to make nice clean cuts through both steerer tubes and handlebars. Plus it has a tab which fits in your bench vise so that you don't even have to hold the piece that you're cutting. Very handy.

mtbr member
    you can buy the same thing at your local hardware store (or lowe's/home despot/etc) for under $10. you'll find it in the plumbing section.

depending on what you're cutting, you'll need to replace the cutting wheels periodically (a few bucks for 2 of 'em). steel steerer tubes (or steel plumbing pipe) are hard on the wheels.
    a dremel tool w/ reinforced cutoff wheel does wonders, if you've got a rotary tool already.
    if you go the hacksaw route- I've used a hose clamp as a guide, though the park type guides are nice. I've seen cutting guides pretty cheap at harbor freight.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Buy a guide. Cutting steer tubes, seat post and bars without one is ghetto. Theright tools for the right job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    seriously, buy the park sg-6
    money well spent