wyrd bi ful rd

Star Fangled Nut Vs Hed Doctor/compressor/stem Lock/head Lock

I am thinking of installing a star fangled nut just so that I can have enough compression to hold the stem in place to lock it such that there is not play in the forks.

I just replaced a new fork and decided to use a hed doctor and am having trouble installing the fork correctly.

There are pro and cons. The cons for a star fangled nut is the difficulty in removing it, but if the frame and fork is what you ever wanted, you will not change either and so there is no need to remove the nut?

Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

neutiquam erro
    I had a chance to put a Head Doctor in when I installed my new Hope headset (it came with one), but decided to pass. I did a lot of research on the boards here about it. People seem to either love them or hate them.

In the end, my decision simply came down to a "Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda deal, so I stuck with the ol' tried-and-true starnut. No regrets, and I don't expect to have any. The Head Doctor is in my "Island of Misfit Toys" parts box currently.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What difficulty in removing a star nut? It takes all of three or four minutes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/mkiii-star-nut-removal-130067.html#post1189999

Compression nuts have worked fine for me, too. In fact, I'm using one now on a 130mm fork until I finalize the installation. As long as whatever gizmo you use can preload the headset "good enough" for you to tighten the stem, you're good to go, and after that it ceases to be a factor.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

...idios...
    As far as the actual function goes, there is no difference between the Head Doctor and a star-nut, the Doctor is just easier to intall and remove. The star-nut will not hold the top-cap bolt any 'better' or 'worse' than a Head Doctor. The tension you're applying to the cap bolt is only to pull the fork/headset assembly together and preload the headset bearings, it's your stem which will hold everything in place. I've used the same Head Doctor on two frames and three sets of forks without issue. If it's fitted correctly in the first place (which is simply a matter of applying sufficient torque) then I can't honestly foresee and problems. Like with most thongs around here, the complainers are usually the ones who just can't admit that they messed up an installation because of their own incompetence.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

wyrd bi ful rd
    Cheers Speed/Steve. Managed to preload headset bearings once correctly using the hed doctor. Just that on the weekend when I was out on the bike, decided (foolishly) to adjust the handlebar alignment with the front wheel and then could not get to preload them again without any play in the forks. I think I did not tighten the hed doctor enough so it keeps coming up when I was pre-loading. I only had access to a tiny bike tool kit instead of my 'usual left at home / workshop, allen key'.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I think I am leaning towards the star now.

I tried to tighten the hed doctor to stop it from coming up during preload and managed to seize it. Luckily i managed to pull it out and still could not unscrew it. Managed to put in a star nut and wah-lah. No problem in preloading and managed to load beyond what was possible with the hed doctor.

wyrd bi ful rd

To Moderator

Will you be able to remove this thread and move these postings into this thread?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1189999

Just could not find that thread until Speeddub mentioned it.