mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Stand for working on bike

I've been getting into working on my bike rather than take it to the bike store. I work on trains for a living so I figured I should be fixing my own bike.

What's a decent stand for a decent price? Can I stay around $100 for something decent? I thought about making one but figured for the amount of time it would take I could probably find something decent and just pay for it.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Wrench Force......get it done. Last bike stand you'll ever buy.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 07-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Northern tool has a cheap stand that I've been using for the past couple years. It goes on sale fairly often for $39.99; which is what I paid for it. It's worth the money but you may want something a little nicer since you have a bit more budget to work with. The only problem I've really had with it is the plastic lever for the clamping jaws snapped from over pressuring the clamp. After snapping the replacement Northern tool sent me, I just went out and bought a large "C" clamp to clamp the jaws shut and it works fine for me.

Northern Industrial Bike Repair Stand | Bike Repair Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    there are a few that work OK that are under or around $100. Sette (pricepoint.com) makes one, pretty much the same thing I have. It works fine and I work on a lot of bikes. For the everyday garage mech it's fine. Not perfect but it works.

They also make just a wall or bench mount head that's just the clamp and you screw it to a stud or a bench. My only issue with those is it seems short and the pedals might hit so you might not be able to test on stand.?

That Northern tool's one actually looks OK too. thinking thou it might not be able to clamp the seatpost as it seems kinda narrow side to side?

The "best" ones start around the $150 mark and are the Feedback stands. If I ever replace mine I'll be getting one of them.

I've had a couple mid line Park stands and honestly prefer the cheapo I have.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Stand for working on bike

Also would be interested what other options are out there for cheap...er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    That Northern tool's one actually looks OK too. thinking thou it might not be able to clamp the seatpost as it seems kinda narrow side to side?
    The Northern Tool stand clamps the seatpost just fine.
    Last edited by joe_bloe; 07-03-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Fix formatting

mtbr member
    Top Ten Rule of Bicycling - Always double your initial budget.

Park Tool PCS-10 Home Mechanic Repair Stand from ModernBike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    Top Ten Rule of Bicycling - Always double your initial budget.

Park Tool PCS-10 Home Mechanic Repair Stand from ModernBike.com
    I would agree with Thomllama...go with a Feedback if you are going to spring that much. I have generally been unsatisfied with Park's stands (though in many cases, it is the clamp, not the stand, that I don't like) but have nothing bad to say about Feedback's stands other than they're a bit on the expensive side. Incidentally, they make clamps that fit Park stands.

Plays with tools
    I'm not sure what the feedback stands start at price wise but they are my go to choice. Most versatile stands on the market. I've got three different stands and I like them all for slightly different things, but if I had to pick one the feedback is the choice.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    The Northern Tool stand clamps the seatpost just fine.
    cool.. ya know the more I look at it the more I kinda think I'd like it.. looks rugged-ish thou heavy? Might have to get one to try as a 2nd as I often have people over working on bikes, BS-ing, having a beer or 2, and it's nice to have a 2nd stand
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/