mtbr member
    Sep 2006

So which Torque wrenches should I get?

So I've avoided getting torque wrenches in the past opting to "guess" or have maintenance done by the LBS. So there are Tekton wrenches for sale--the 3/8th inch that goes from 120 to 960 is obviously necessary but oddly the other 3/8th inch tool goes from 10 to 80 whereas the 1/2 inch goes from 10 to 150 thereby overlapping with the 3/8th inch 120-960. This seems odd they wouldn't overlap the same size so one could use all 3/8th inch. The 1/2 inch only goes up to 250.

So if I get the 3/8th and the 1/2 can I just use all 3/8in drives and sockets and use and adapter for the 1/2 inch? Does and adapter in any way make the torque reading unreliable?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    As an aside out of curiosity it would seem that the 1/2 inch (bigger) would go up higher in pounds than the 3/8th inch. Seems odd that has the higher pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AceMulder View Post
    Does and adapter in any way make the torque reading unreliable?
    No.

Torque wrenches are usually not very accurate at their extremes so you want one that has the values you need to use around the middle of its range if possible. To be honest, you kinda want more than one. There is a huge difference between the force you apply to a brake lever clamp and bottom-bracket. I like to use small tools for small fasteners as there is less chance of dramatically overdoing it. A two-foot wrench could strip a shifter bolt without you even feeling it.

mtbr member
    Absolutely. I have three, one which is mainly for my bike, one for the car and one for both. I could even use a fourth one for small bolts, but so far I've gotten away without it.
    A 1/4" and a 3/8" wrench with good scale make sense. I'm using Snap On myself.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well here are the 5 wrenches--so I guess the left three would be a good set?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So which Torque wrenches should I get?-wrench.jpg  

mtbr member
    The list seems to be faulty but 1, 3 and 5 should be a good combo.

mtbr member
    I use a 1\4 drive for my bikes. Particularly for smaller bolts on carbon components, stem, bar clamp etc. For such bolts the torque is generally in the 5 to 8 Nm range.
    Have an old 1\2 inch drive which works for cassette lock rings etc. Haven't found anything I cant cover with the two.
    The 1/4 drive was the more expensive.
    Your opinion of me is none of my business

mtbr member
    I like using this for small fasteners: LINK

Unlike a big lump of metal, it's very hard to overdo it with this tool. It retains the feel of an allan key but ads the indication of how much force is being applied. Ideal for a lot of the tiny bolts found on bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    CDI Torque wrenches are better built than any of the bicycle branded products I have seen. They make a range of wrenches and torque tools and provide calibration certification with their products. You can get them at a discount to retail pricing.

For small fasteners this is my go to tool;https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-Pr.../dp/B00IQBIHA0

I bought mine from Zoro tools with 20-25% discounts which they have frequently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post
    The list seems to be faulty but 1, 3 and 5 should be a good combo.

I see the issue 2 and 3 are the same torque except that 2 use inches / pound and has 45 teeth while the others have 24. What the point of that? Smaller increments? the first one also uses inches / pound but has 24 teeth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So I guess the issue then is, is it better to get the tools calibrated to inches / pd or fr / pd. Do bike specs typically list inches / pd rather than ft / pd.

mtbr member
    All my bikes are rated in Nm. As far as tools...I use a torque key preset at 5 Nm which covers 90% of the bike and for the rest I have a Craftsman beam style wrench which works just fine. Especially since none of the bolts I use it on require absolute precision. I have thought about grabbing this little kit. Great to pack with you especially for shake down rides.

Topeak¬ģ Cycling Accessories ‚ÄĒ Products - Nano TorqBox DX
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Ive got a big expensive digital CDI Computorque 3 at home and recently picked up this little CDI TorqueControle T handle adjustable torque wrench for my bike bag:
    So which Torque wrenches should I get?-1399464189007-hdfgnu3hjqbe-960-540.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-Pr.../dp/B00IQBIHA0

I don't even take out the Computorque anymore, this thing is simple and easy. After it hits the set torque it stops delivering any any tightening force as you turn. Unlike the Park version that stops at 6nm, this one goes up to 8nm so it has enough range to cover all the items on your handlebars/brakes/seatpost clamp.
    2000 Zaskar X

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I love my Park Tools TW-5. I use it all the time, and I very rarely need to switch to either of my other two torque wrenches for bike-related maintenance.