mtbr member
    Aug 2012

so i clipped a tree a few weeks ago...

i think this is my first post, so hello long time lurker and rider from the uk

i was over at llandegla, and somehow managed to clip a pedal on one of the tree stumps, throwing me off, ever since my cranks have been making awful cracking kind of sounds, if i tighten them they seem to not make any noise, for a ride or two then back to making the same noise, have i buggerd them? or what else could i have done

any advice would be great

mtbr member
    If I had this issue I would take everything apart down by your crankset. Then clean, inspect, lube and re-install everything. I would even go as far as taking chainrings and pedals off, bottom bracket out, etc and make sure to check your frame and parts for anything that is cracked, broken, bent or loose. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's usually fun, and you get to know your bike much better. Do you have a hardtail or full-suspension bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i stripped it all down, nothing obviously bent or broken, looks the same as when i put it together, i lubed it back up put it all back together and it seems "okay" so hopefully it stays that way wont be able to give it a good ride for atleast a week.

i did notice the crank bolts were quite loose, nowhere near as tight as i had done them both up (which i have done a few times since clipping the tree) so not sure of any issues to stop them becoming loose again.

its a "custom" hardtail i created out of random bits that sounded good been having wicked fun with it.
    consists of a lime orange crush21" shimano alivo cranks with some kind of octolink bottom bracket (not a cheap one mind cost a good $80) rock shox sektor RL 150mm forks, i think i have the full spec in my profile somewhere

mtbr member
    I would say that it was those crank bolts that were the culprit, if it keeps happening I would personally just change out the bolts and put new ones in. if you don't want to do that you can use some Teflon tape (not thread lock) to help keep them from rattling out.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Rogue Exterminator
    Did you inspect the threads real closely when pulling everything apart?
    If you boogered them up, it could be why they are coming loose.
    Teflon tape should hopefully prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    I would say that it was those crank bolts that were the culprit, if it keeps happening I would personally just change out the bolts and put new ones in. if you don't want to do that you can use some Teflon tape (not thread lock) to help keep them from rattling out.
    Why wouldn't you use thread lock?